Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 8:55:11 AM EDT
I THOUGHT I was going to be free from them this year.  Thought MAYBE there wouldn't be an invasion this year.

HA!

They're out in full force today...trying to get in.

Are they attracted into those propane powered bug-catchers?  Yes, I know I would probably not even put a dent in their population, but the thought of occasionally emptying a sack of dead ladybugs is mighty appealing...in a genocidal sense.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#1]
What's wrong with ladybugs? They're lucky, and they eat aphids.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#2]
THEY'RE EVERYWHERE MAN!!!!

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
THEY'RE EVERYWHERE MAN!!!!

Quoted:

Feel lucky,  people out here buy them at the Navalet's to put in their garden.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you talking about the Asian Ladybeetle?

These little bastards bite.  Nothing a can of hairspray (or the like) and a lighter can't fix.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
They're in Southern IL too.  LOTs of them.   UGGGGHHHH not again.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes!

DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted:
Are you talking about the Asian Ladybeetle?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/klutz347/1beet0303.jpg

These little bastards bite.  Nothing a can of hairspray (or the like) and a lighter can't fix.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#7]
We also have tons of them here in TN. Don't know how but they get into vehicles and houses by the thousands.  Pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#8]
These little bastards are worse than the cicadas that everyone was freaking out about earlier this year.

Yeah, cicadas were noisy...partied hard all day...but were polite and slept at night.  And, they didn't try to come into your house.  I liked 'em.

But these things, yeah they're quiet...but they try to get inside.  Very rude.

Makes me wanna stand out on my deck with a shop-vac and see how many I could suck up.  It'd give the neighbors something to talk about anyway.

DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#9]
My truck was full of them biting little bastards yesterday coming home from the range
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#10]
My house was swarmed with them last year, so far, none in sight.......
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My truck was full of them biting little bastards yesterday coming home from the range

First I've heard that they bite.  Ya learn something new everyday.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/ladybeetles.html

Ladybugs in the Home - Asian Lady Beetle

The "multicolored Asian lady beetle" (Harmonia axyridis), has become common throughout the United States and all of Iowa. It is well known for the annoying habit of accumulating on the sides of buildings and wandering indoors during the fall. Asian lady beetles are a beneficial biological control in trees during the summer, and in fields and gardens during the fall, but can be a severe household nuisance during late fall and winter. Wooded residential and industrial areas are especially prone to problems

The origins of the Asian lady beetles are not clear, although it appears the current pest species was not purposefully released in the United States or in Iowa. Beetles that arrived by accident in ports such as New Orleans in the late 1980s have crawled and flown all by themselves to all corners of the country.
Description

The multicolored Asian lady beetle is 1/3 inch in length; dome-shaped; yellowish-orange to red with variable black spots on the back. Deep orange is the most common color. The 19 black spots may be faint or missing. There is a black “W” shaped mark on the thorax

Asian lady beetles, like other accidental invaders, are "outdoor" insects that create a nuisance by wandering indoors during a limited portion of their life cycle. They do not feed or reproduce indoors; they cannot attack the house structure, furniture, or fabrics. They cannot sting or carry diseases. Lady beetles do not feed on people though they infrequently pinch exposed skin. Lady beetles may leave a slimy smear and they have a distinct odor when squashed.

Asian lady beetles follow their instinctive behavior and fly to sunny, exposed surfaces when preparing to hibernate through the winter. The time of beetle flight varies but is usually from mid-September through October (depending on weather). Light colored buildings and walls in full sun appear to attract the most beetles.
Management

Sealing exterior gaps and cracks around windows, doors, eaves, roofs, siding and other points of access before the beetles appear can prevent unwanted entry. Experience suggests, however, that comprehensive pest proofing is time-consuming, often impractical and usually not 100% effective.  For large infestations with intolerable numbers of beetles, spraying pyrethroid insecticides such as permethrin or esfenvalerate to the outside of buildings when the beetles appear may help prevent pest entry. Homeowner insecticides other than pyrethroids usually do not provide satisfactory prevention.

Long-term relief may come from planting trees that will grow up to shade the south and west sides of the house. The most practical control for beetles already inside is to vacuum or sweep them up and discard. Indoor sprays are of very limited benefit. Interior light traps are available

We also have pictures of other lady beetles

See also our information on Asian lady beetle traps.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#13]
so far this year they havent been as bad as they were last year... last year it was f'in terrible..

ive got a few on my ceiling right now... no sense in picking them off.. they will just come back.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Little bastages are all over the outside of the house.

Not too many inside, since I put in new windows, doors and siding this year.   A few fly in when you open the door, but not like it used to be.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
<snip>
Makes me wanna stand out on my deck with a shop-vac and see how many I could suck up.  It'd give the neighbors something to talk about anyway.

DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If everyone did this they wouldnt be such a pain in the ass. I go Shop-Vac ® on my fair share of those little bastards every time they come around. Now get out there and GET SOME!

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I actually buy ladybugs to release into my yard!

They are 'meateaters' rather than 'planteaters', meaning that they eat the insects that eat plants.

Which is also why I do not purposefully kill spiders or wasps!

Eric The(Organic)Hun

But you are probably buying the American, red lady beetles, not the pink/orange Asian, biting ones that absolutely cover our houses in the fall.  Some days there are so many in the air, it looks like snow flurries here in Ohio.  and the damn biting/pinching.

ETA... let's not forget finding them inside your light fixtures, and interior walls and electric outlets, and ductwork, etc...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I spent about two hours last night with an extension pole rigged up with hose to my vaccuum, standing on a 6 ft. stepladder trying to get them bastards from my ceilings.  See--I have what's called a "great room" (20 ft. ceilings--yeah, frickin' great).  The frickin' savages don't crawl on the other ceilings in the house--only the high ceilings.

I got every last one of them.....that is until today.  I just looked and there's about 20 up there.  My neck hurts right now from looking up to get them last night so I guess I'll wait till the next swarm gets in.

DAMN--I HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wow, that sounded really gay.

Digital
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't mind them so much, but they huddle around my door, not the rest of the side of the house, just the door.  Little bastards are driving me nuts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Great Lady bug Pictures!

Too bad they're too small to stuff their poopers.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Great Lady bug Pictures!

Too bad they're too small to stuff their poopers.

But maybe, you could stick it in a sack of dead ladybugs and post pics

Digital
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Get a cat.....It will destroy your house while trying to kill the beetles.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I swear to God if you kill one single Lady Bug I will kick your ass.  They are by far the best bug one can have for their Rose Bushes.

I LOVE LADY BUGS!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I swear to God if you kill one single Lady Bug I will kick your ass.  They are by far the best bug one can have for their Rose Bushes.

I LOVE LADY BUGS!

SGatr15

These are not the good kind, these are the varmint ones.  Bring on the shop vac.!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I LOVE LADY BUGS!

SGatr15

So you're into gardening, and most likely kniting, and you have a doll collection.
Are you a PETB (Bug) member?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I LOVE LADY BUGS!

SGatr15

Come by and get them then, I have about a billion of them swarming around our entire farm.  Every time the heater kicks on another dozen blow out the ducts onto the floor.   I sweep probably 100 of them up nearly every day.  They are everywhere... ceiling, curtains, walls, floor, ducts... and that's inside the house.  Last year I had to keep shirt or jacket collars buttoned up to keep them out of my shirt anytime I would go outside, and it looks like this year might be as bad.

And my roses did just fine before the invasion of these biting, stinking pests.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]
They are all the way up to Ely, MN! And they do bite! But they are not bullet proof.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
The ones on the West coast eat other bugs.  We've bought them as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, that sounded really gay.

Digital

Your mom sounds gay.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]
They started swarming here last week after our first frost.

My grandmother in West Virginia has a house full of them.  More bugs than I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I LOVE LADY BUGS!

SGatr15

So you're into gardening, and most likely kniting, and you have a doll collection.
Are you a PETB (Bug) member?

No knitting, but gardening yes.  I like  my Rose Bushes and flowers.  It makes the house pretty.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep all over the place here too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top