Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 8:04:48 AM EDT
Now I do deer hunt but I shoot all year round. So I had fun today shooting at clay targets at 100 yards open sights with my ar. I had a few come up to me to see what I was shooting. showed them what I had and they seemed interested . Them teenagers shooting with their dads really were looking hard but none approch me to shoot. So before I left I gave out a few clays to whom ever had kids with them which the kids seem to like that idea.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
passgas55: You're good man, but should've offered the guys with permission from the parent a a few of shots out of your AR, and they will hooked for life.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
right before deer season is the most dangerous time to go to the range around here
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
A friend and I went to the range yesterday and had a pretty good assortment of toys. Two 50BMGs, a suppressed sub-machine gun, and about 15 evil looking semi-auto bullet launchers. Needless to say, we sort of stood our in the crowd. We fiured the next time we gat out there we'll take some deer targets and get with the program.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
right before deer season is the most dangerous time to go to the range around here

Most irritating too.  It amazes me how little knowledge someone can have in operating something with the potential to take life.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Get those kids shooting! They are the future of the shooting sports.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Thier most common saying seems to be "thats close enough to kill a deer" in reference to thier sight-in ... which is usually a pie plate at 25 to 50 yards .... then they go out and wound deer all season at 300 yards, then blame thier rifle or ctg for the miss.  "the barrel must be bent!"
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

But they tell the most exciting stories while I try to enjoy my shooting at the range... Blah, blah, blah big horns, big scope, cold weather...  rifle is always accurate and sighted in, travel all over the world.  (Check your fly, it is open a-hole)

They can not hit the side of a barn for the most part.  Sorry to offend some of the real marksmen here.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Same here. I have property with a 100, 200 and 300 yard range so hunters will ask to sight in at my place. I let them and sometimes even shoot with them . They are totaly surprised when I actually try hitting the target in sitting, prone, and kneeling shots. They only shoot three shots from the bench and say close enough.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thier most common saying seems to be "thats close enough to kill a deer" in reference to thier sight-in ... which is usually a pie plate at 25 to 50 yards .... then they go out and wound deer all season at 300 yards, then blame thier rifle or ctg for the miss.  "the barrel must be bent!"

There was a guy in my old deer camp that was like that.  He would come back to camp cussing like crazy about his rifle and how he could never get it to shoot right.  One day the camp president witnessed him litterally THROW the rifle into the truck after missing a deer.  They took it down to the gravel pit and the camp pres. wanted to shoot it to see what was wrong.  They set a 1-gallon jug at 100yds. and on the first shot, the camp pres shot the top right off of it.  

It turned out that the guy was wrapping his trigger finger around the trigger and pulling like hell everytime he fired.  What I have to wonder is how many deer he missed and how many rifles he bought before he finally figured out that it was his own dumb ass causing the misses.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The guys who fire three to six rounds a year are more dangerous than those that have never handled a gun coming to the range for the first time. I shoot only upon open range and even out there it's dangerous as the shooters won't drive their sedans - or SUV's - far along the dirt roads to get up against the mountains for a safe back stop. Nothing like a whirling .30-06 round wizzing over your head to get your attention.

+2

[elmer] Boy, I been huntin' nigh on twenty yar.....and I STILL got thuh first box of ammo I ever bought. Ya only need one round fer a deer y'know...[/elmer]

+3
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
The most amazing display of stupidity I have ever witnessed actually (regretfully) came from my family.

A couple of my uncles and a few cousins joined me on a hunting trip to Texas.  On the discussion of my tactical scope, they wanted to know why it had big adjustment knobs on it.  I told them that was so I could easily adjust for windage and elevation at different distances.  They were completely dumbfounded.  They had never heard of a scope that you could adjust for yardage.  They refused to believe that the scopes they had would perform such an amazing feat.  "That must be somethin special about that expensive sniper scope you got, cause mine won't do it."  I tried and tried to explain it to them but they refused to believe they could adjust their scope so they could aim dead-on at 400 yards and hit right where they were aiming... then adjust it back to hit at 100 with just a few clicks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Tapperman and I had a nice outing at a range packed with hunters sighting in.  These guys are all shooters, though.  Their rifles and slug guns are all old and/or reletively inexpensive but there's a patina of well-worn use on them and these guys take this time seriously.  Everyone was very polite, good natured and above all, safe.

When we unpacked the M1919 semi and set it up on an MG-42 tripod folks wandered over full of questions and approving grins.  Not one What you need one a them fer?  Just jokes about how in the hell could you lug that thing up into a tree stand.  

Had a good conversation with a couple who were reloaders too and saw a guy I know who collects odd milsurps.  All and all it was a good trip.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Blah blah blah, I'm more tactical than you.

I usually shoot my deer rifle three or four times a year.  Shot it four times today, just to make sure it was still hitting where I wanted it to.  Other than that, I have no reason to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I only fire 20-40 rounds a year from my deer rifle. I make sure its sighted in for me, at home and at the destination, and finish the box for fun and practice. Maybe two sessions yearly, but with three rifles maybe.

I prefer shooting my ARs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Same with me.  I only shoot my deer rifles to check zero's, and they aren't  fired again until some unlucky critter walks out.  I do have other guns a practice with, but I don't shoot my deer rifles very much.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]
only shoot my deer rifles for load development and sight in.  A .243 Savage isn't terribly exciting to shoot, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:38:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I just LOVE going to the indoor pistol range to find the bay full of guys sighting their deer guns in at 25 yards I don't even think their glass can focus that close in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:56:54 AM EDT
[#21]
You gotta shoot all year long to be a good shot - AR 15 or whatever...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:04:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Yup, I know the crowd.
These are the guys that go hunting with five rounds of ammo, and five cases of beer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:20:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top