Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 7:53:26 PM EDT
Are you doing all you can for this country? Are you using the weapon so secret that those who possess it often overlook it? Are you praying? Are you praying that God will pour wisdom on the voters? That He will work His will for mankind? Are you explicitly praying that George W. Bush will be re-elected? If not, why not?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always been somewhat confused about praying for something like this.  Kind of like praying that you'll win a football game.  If you're guy loses, and you were praying all you could and so was the other guy's supporters, does that mean God loves them more than you?  or that their prayers mean more than yours?

I was taught, when I was young & cared about such things, that you didn't pray for selfish things but that you prayed for others.  You didn't pray that you got the GI Joe hellicopter for Christmas, but you would pray that your grandfather survived being diagnosed with cancer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Certainly
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
*_________ helps those who help themselves.

Fill in your choice ie. Thor, God, Tooth Fairy......
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you're guy loses, and you were praying all you could and so was the other guy's supporters, does that mean God loves them more than you?  or that their prayers mean more than yours?

No. It simply meant that the other guy had to win, because that was the means by which God's plan will be implemented.

I was taught, when I was young & cared about such things, that you didn't pray for selfish things but that you prayed for others.  You didn't pray that you got the GI Joe hellicopter for Christmas, but you would pray that your grandfather survived being diagnosed with cancer.

You pray for what you want, but you must also pray that His will be done before you get what you want. If the two cooincide, then all the better for you!

Besides, when I pray for Bush to win, what makes you think I'm praying only for me? I'm actually praying for my children, who will have to live with the long-term results of this election.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm not an 'Xtian', but a Christian and I am praying fervently that the Lord will make it His will that President Bush is re-elected in a landslide.

Every prayer that I have uttered since the first US trooper's boot hit the ground in Afghanistan has always included a prayer for those in service to our nation, for our President to have the wisdom and courage to lead this country successfully, and for him to be re-elected in order to finish that job!

Amen!

Eric The(Fundamental)Hun

C'mon ETH, you know that "X" is the first character in the Chi Ros [X P, superimposed on one another], which means "Christ." "Xtian" isn't disrespectful (if it is I'm chapping my own ass); it's just Greco-English shorthand.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

actually didn't some arfcom bible scholar (notice that is not always the same thing as a christian) say that quote was not biblically accurate?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I am.

An I also am not a Xtian.

I follow God.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are you doing all you can for this country? Are you using the weapon so secret that those who possess it often overlook it? Are you praying? Are you praying that God will pour wisdom on the voters? That He will work His will for mankind? Are you explicitly praying that George W. Bush will be re-elected? If not, why not?

I never really understood prying for things.  I don't think God works that way.  Prying to ask for forgiveness for sinning, yes, but not for events to occur or for material things.  He has a plan and you can pray all you want, it wont change things.  Prying for GWB to win the election is a waste of time.  Getting out and persuading others to vote for him might make a small difference.  God wont rig the election for us no matter how many of us ask him.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Odin does not want to hear my winney, childish prayers.  

He wants me to do my job.  

He expects me to act like a man.  

To do the right thing.  

And prove I am worthy of one day joining him in Valhalla.  

I respect that, and I obey.

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've always been somewhat confused about praying for something like this.  Kind of like praying that you'll win a football game.  If you're guy loses, and you were praying all you could and so was the other guy's supporters, does that mean God loves them more than you?  or that their prayers mean more than yours?

Good point, Norman. But we Xtians (pace ETH) are taught to pray for what we want and need. I personally don't pray for FSU to beat U of F or for my client to win his trial. I do pray that justice will be done and that God will be merciful to my client. When I am neck-deep in something that I believe affects the welfare of humanity (as I believe this election does, though I acknowledge that I may be wrong - this could be a mouse vs mousetrap incident in His view), I don't hesitate to invoke His power. Every prayer I pray that I pray has a little codicil: "if it be Thy will." God won't derail His plan for mankind because of my prayer, even though He is crazy about me. I assure you that that system makes no more sense to me than it does to you, but He says to pray for what I want. So, with the application of the reason He's given me, I do.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He has a plan and you can pray all you want, it wont change things.  Prying for GWB to win the election is a waste of time.

So, praying for goodness to triumph over evil is a waste of time?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not really a religious person. I've always wondered, why should God care what we pray for? If God is what we think he is, how could we hope to comprehend what his plan is, and why should we think that expressing our wishes to Him will have the slightest effect on anything?

I believe that if something is really worth doing, you should do it with your own two hands, rather then pray for it to be somehow done for you.

If there is a God (which I don't believe I'm in any position to know), then the universe will evolve as He designed it to. How could it do anything else?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He has a plan and you can pray all you want, it wont change things.  Prying for GWB to win the election is a waste of time.

So, praying for goodness to triumph over evil is a waste of time?

Yes.   Only action will make a difference.  Prayer for the most part just makes people feel better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Which ones were the Xtians in Stargate SG-9?

CW
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Does an Xtian worship:

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Odin does not want to hear my winney, childish prayers.  

He wants me to do my job.  

He expects me to act like a man.  

To do the right thing.  

And prove I am worthy of one day joining him in Valhalla.  

I respect that, and I obey.

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
"Xtian" isn't disrespectful...

Regrettably, my friend, for too many people it is, and I'm not talking about Christians.

It is no longer Grecco-English shorthand. It is now a way to try and purge the very name of Christ from everything in society.

They will fail, of course!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#22]
as a slight hijack, and as someone who has posted the word "xtian" here more than once, I'll weigh in on this.  I don't use it to "purge christ from society", I use it to show my contempt for those that claim christ in their words and then ignore him in their deeds.  Hell, I'm a better Christian than most xtians.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't use it to "purge christ from society", I use it to show my contempt for those that claim christ in their words and then ignore him in their deeds.  Hell, I'm a better Christian than most xtians.

Uhhh, didn't you just contradick yourself?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yes.

+1.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't use it to "purge christ from society", I use it to show my contempt for those that claim christ in their words and then ignore him in their deeds.  Hell, I'm a better Christian than most xtians.

Uhhh, didn't you just contradick yourself?

SGtar15

No.  I perhaps could have stated it differently to make it less confusing, but it's early still and I'm still sick.

The point is that as an atheist my actions are often more christian than those of xtians.  However as an atheist I'm not bound by that whole "casting the first stone" thing because I don't believe in sin and therefore am in fact free from it, freeing me up to hurl stones at whoever the hell I want.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
as a slight hijack, and as someone who has posted the word "xtian" here more than once, I'll weigh in on this.  I don't use it to "purge christ from society", I use it to show my contempt for those that claim christ in their words and then ignore him in their deeds.

Don't you think that pointing those people out would be more effective than utilizing a term/spelling that is identified as a slam?

I know you claim to be imoral and all, but it just seems to me to be a matter of efficiency.

Hell, I'm a better Christian than most xtians.

A definite possibility. Funny how it works, eh?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
as a slight hijack, and as someone who has posted the word "xtian" here more than once, I'll weigh in on this.  I don't use it to "purge christ from society", I use it to show my contempt for those that claim christ in their words and then ignore him in their deeds.  Hell, I'm a better Christian than most xtians.

I seriously doubt that, norman74.

BTW, do you not understand that Proper English requires the Capitalization of all proper nouns?

It's 'Christ', not 'christ', and while I understand your desire is to continue to belittle something you do not really understand, it is arrogant stupidity to continue to do so.

It's 'Buddha', not 'buddha', and yet he's still simply Mr. Gautama, to me.

Eric The(Chastising)Hun

And don't YOU understand that I don't care?

If it somehow discredits me in your tinted eyes, I'll take that as a compliment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
And don't YOU understand that I don't care?

If it somehow discredits me in your tinted eyes, I'll take that as a compliment.

Norman, old friend, you know very well that I'm not the converting type, so please don't take my comment as that or as an admonition for the sake of your soul.

From a purely "this world" viewpoint, that attitude of yours will only get you so far, and it's not far enough.

Lighten up. It will do you no end of good.

Your friend,

- Z
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

No, I am quite sure God's will will be done and consider it arrogant to ask god to make my will his own.
I pray that He enhance my wisdom, not his own.
It may be God's will that America begin a downward spiral ending in total destruction, if that is so then my prayers will not stop it.
If Kerry ends up in the White House then God allowed it and I would personally see that as a sign that God's plan for the future is to fufill some very troubled prophicies.
In which case

God please grant me the wisdom of Solomon, courage of David and fortitude of Job  to pass through these times with my honor and faith in tact so I may live or die in peace or war in your pressence and to your satisfaction and that these gifts also be given to my brothers and sisters of the congregation and to our sons and daughters.

I ask these things in the name of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior, Amen
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Every God damned day.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
God please grant me the wisdom of Solomon, courage of David and fortitude of Job  to pass through these times with my honor and faith in tact so I may live or die in peace or war in your pressence and to your satisfaction and that these gifts also be given to my brothers and sisters of the congregation and to our sons and daughters.

I ask these things in the name of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior, Amen

Amen.

Nicely said.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#33]
YES !
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

With some disrespect intended ....Seems like alot of your posts have a common denominator - contempt.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yup. I am praying that God will also raise up a generation of political leaders who will seek Him rather than just look for more power, and that He will give us judges who judge according to righteousness and the Constitution.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

No, but at lunch I'm going go consecrate my beer and cheeseburger to Thor, then consume it on his behalf.

I'm sure that will be just as effective.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#37]
... somewhat *** BREAKING *** news from Jersualem Post : Top Israeli rabbi says Jews should vote for Bush

Jersualem Post
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Actually, the real purpose of prayer is to align your will with God's, not the other way around.

Your 2nd paragraph actually hints at that.

And for the record, as my friend EricTheHun sais, I'm a Christian, not an xtian.....

and I pray for Bush, our troops, and a landslide election.

I also pray that if I'm wrong on my political views, He will steer me straight.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I use "XMAS" to mark our boxes because a Sharpie isn't going to last very long spelling out 5 extra large letters over and over.  I don't get offended over rainbows either.

It is the intent that is offensive, not the shorthand, at least to me.

Oh, and yes, I do earnestly pray that the Lord will utilize or leaders to fulfill his plan and that he would work in the hearts and minds of the people to choose Godly leaders.  I also pray for judgement and damnation for the evil, and that sort of fits in here as well...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

No worries X74
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#41]
question for those who pray for GWB to be elected.
If Kerry wins does that mean God selected him to be the president?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#42]
This is no lie.  

About 6 or 7 months ago, maybe a little longer, I had a problem with my dryer.  Called up a repair place to buy the part.  It ended up being a guy out of his house.

He sold me the part, and for the help he gave my diagnosing the problem, and the time/trouble he saved me, I tipped him a 10 or 20.  No prob at all.

So anyway, somehow, we got to talking about religion.  He was telling me God told him that GWB would definately win, and then the rapture would come before his term was up.

He said God spoke to him.  

Who knows.  

Unfortunately, I will see most of you heathens in hell anyway.

Maybe we can get some windex margaritas delivered.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
question for those who pray for GWB to be elected.
If Kerry wins does that mean God selected him to be the president?

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually didn't some arfcom bible scholar (notice that is not always the same thing as a christian) say that quote was not biblically accurate?

I would be that "Bible scholar".  And I am a Christian.  The real kind.  The Bible does not teach that.  In fact, it teaches the opposite.

But back to the question, I do indeed pray for my country and this election.  I pray that God will have mercy on this evil, Godless country that some parts are becoming and allow Bush to be re-elected.

I am confident that God supports the Republican position regarding abortion, homosexual rights, gays in the military, the 2nd Amendment, etc, more that the evil Democrat positions on these issues.

I pray for His mercy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#45]
(to the original question...)

Yes.  Daily, at least.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top