Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 7:49:27 PM EDT
I bought my first semi-auto shotgun recently, alwayas just owned pumps, and I'm wondering something about the maintenance on it.

The manual says I'm supposed to clean and then grease the gas ring and outside of the tube. That goes against every semi-auto instructions I've ever read, where oil in the gas system was a big fat no-no. It doesn't elaborate at all, just says "Grease gas ring thoroughly and apply light coat of gun oil or grease to mag cylinder tube."

What say ye experts, should I follow this advice, and if so why would a shotgun be different from, say an SKS or AR where keeping the gas system free of oil is necessary?

TIA.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That just doesn't sound like a good idea... As you say, it's a common rule to NEVER put grease or lube in a gas system because of inherent fouling would be increased ten-fold...

But then again, shotguns are I are a bad mix.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Weird. Just looked at some online manuals for semi-auto shotguns. Most if not all the ones I found recommend some oil (some say light, others just say "lubricate or grease") the gas ring seals.

Apparently lube in a shotgun is a good thing?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually a little Break Free applied to the gas system of my Beretta keeps the fouling from getting burned on and you can wipe it off with a paper towel. It is really quite common these days for the clay bird shooters to lube their gas system.  A site called Shotgun Report has a Q&A forum that discusses this often.
Tuco
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Light oil

yes

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree.  A light oil.  Militec would be best.  If you don't have that, use CLP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#6]
What brand? Some of us might have owned the same and may give you a better response to your question.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What brand? Some of us might have owned the same and may give you a better response to your question.

It's a Charles Daly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top