Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 7:02:39 PM EDT
I have a friend that recently purchased a Remington (model 70 I think) in 300 Win mag. He was recently told by someone that the Rem. rifle was inferior to the CZ, and that he should have saved his money toward  a CZ. Then to top it off he read an article in a recent magazine that praised the CZ.
So should he ditch the Rem. (only about 100 rnds through it)?
Is there even a difference in quality?

My thought was that Rem.'s have readily available replacement and aftermarket parts, and lots of them. Remington has been making quality firearms for quite some time, so why fix it if it isn't broke.

Any insight or opinions would be great.  Thanks.

After reading the first couple replies I might add that his wife said that she wasn't to excited about him having to spend $300 MORE for the CZ.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are excellent rifles. I like CZ's for the cost to quality ratio. They have excellent quality and excellent cost. I've heard isolated incidents of the Remmy's having extractor problems, but otherwise I'd happily shoot either one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Both have excellent reps.
If I were buying one, I'd go with a CZ, for the lower price. (are you sure the Rem was more $$$ ?)
But if you already have a Rem, what would be the point of selling it at a lower cost, to buy a CZ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My CZ 452 (.22lr) is the best shooting rimfire I've ever owned.

I'm sure their centerfire rifles aren't any different.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My CZ 452 (.22lr) is the best shooting rimfire I've ever owned.

I'm sure their centerfire rifles aren't any different.

+1
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I am hesitant to say too much good about CZ's as I only have the .22, as well.
But it is a darned nice rifle.  
Excellent fit and finish.
Feels very strong and solid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I really dislike Remingtons, but honestly there is very little difference in the performance of factory guns.  I would not sell a Remington just to get another factory gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 550 American in .22-250, and it shoots 1/2 5 shot groups at 100 yds. with factory Remington 55 gr. SP ammo. It is also pretty gun, smooth action, and they have hammer forged hand lapped barrels.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a 550 American in .22-250, and it shoots 1/2 5 shot groups at 100 yds. with factory Remington 55 gr. SP ammo. It is also pretty gun, smooth action, and they have hammer forged hand lapped barrels.

Heya 444 ...

Got a buddy that shoots the 22-250 ... he shot a Coke can @100 yds (un-mounted). First shot he thought he missed. Shot again and the can didn't move.

We went up to the can and there was one hole.

That round is freakin FAST!

Just thought to throw that fact at ya.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup. It can go through an empty can without moving it. It's my standard daytime Tannerite gun.If I am setting it off at night (4th of July, New Years), I tape a lightstick on either side,  and use a .257 Weatherby with an illuminated corsshair.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 452 that looks like the one above.  Its a decent shooting gun, i've considered selling it and getting something else a little more acurate.  Its not the greatest rifle but its far from the worst.  My largest complaint is that if I look at it crosseyed it gets speckles of rust on it.  The finish is absolutely horrible in turms of durability but it looks nice.  

Granted its not  a stainless poly gun or shooting for that market but I think its a little touchy even for a nice looking gun.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The new ones have a set trigger if that is any use to you.

CW
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Havent shot any, but they are awfully expensive.  I cant imagine they're so much better than Rugers Remingtons, or Winchesters to justify their prices.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a 452 that looks like the one above.  Its a decent shooting gun, i've considered selling it and getting something else a little more acurate.

Not acurate? WOW!! You are the first person I have ever heard say that a CZ452 is not acurate. They are the hidden secret of the rimfire world. Extremely acurate, decent trigger pull(which can easily be dropped to less than 1lb with a Brookies kit), and reliable as hell.

My largest complaint is that if I look at it crosseyed it gets speckles of rust on it.  The finish is absolutely horrible in turms of durability but it looks nice.

Also never heard of a rusting/pitting problem. Do you wipe it down with any type of oil?

One word about any CZ rifle......QUALITY
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Havent shot any, but they are awfully expensive.  I cant imagine they're so much better than Rugers Remingtons, or Winchesters to justify their prices.

Where are you guys shopping that CZs cost more than domestic rifles???
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a CZ700M1 sniper about 6-months ago. Its a purpose built sniper rifle, not a sporting rifle converted for military/police use. Has a heavy, quick-change barrel, flash suppresor, box magazine and a sweet short-throw bolt. Plus tons of other stuff I dont have the time to mention.

I've put about 250 rounds through it and can honestly say its a half MOA rifle with proper optics. Well worth the $2200 I paid for it. Plus it looks mean as hell on the range, not just another Remington like i see hundreds of.  I've gotten a few offers to buy at the range already....but I aint selling. There are only a few CZ700M1 sniper's in the USA.

CZ 700M1 Sniper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top