BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 2:56:09 PM EDT
Mahalo

Hawai'i Poll: Bush, Kerry in dead heat

By Derrick DePledge
Advertiser Capitol Bureau

President Bush and Sen. John Kerry are deadlocked among likely voters in Hawai'i, a surprising boost for the Republican president in a state that many Democrats had considered safe for Kerry.

George W. Bush

John Kerry
The findings of the Honolulu Advertiser Hawai'i Poll suggest that Hawai'i's four electoral votes are in play with just over a week to go before the election. Nationally, other opinion polls have found that Bush and Kerry are essentially tied for the popular vote.

The Hawai'i Poll, taken among 600 likely voters statewide between Oct. 13 and Monday, had Bush at 43.3 percent and Kerry at 42.6 percent. The margin of error was 4 percentage points.

A large number of voters, 12 percent, said they were still undecided, giving supporters of both candidates hope during the final days of the campaign.

With the race so close, Hawai'i could be a factor in the election, which could energize get-out-the-vote drives across the Islands and increase voter turnout.

Although the candidates have concentrated mostly on large swing states such as Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania, smaller states such as Iowa and New Hampshire — with seven and four electoral votes, respectively — have been important parts of the puzzle because many voters there are undecided. The winner needs 270 electoral votes.

"It is shocking," said Greg Gaydos, an associate professor of political science at Hawai'i Pacific University. "I'd say it's very bad news for Kerry if he's tied in a state like Hawai'i."

Hawai'i's strong Democratic tradition still makes the state favorable for Kerry, several political analysts said, but the Massachusetts Democrat has yet to capitalize even though many voters here appear uncomfortable with Bush over the war in Iraq.

the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Oct/23/ln/ln05p.html
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh-oh!!  Kerry better go buy a Hawiian shirt, grass skirt and start eating poi.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"As a lifelong wearah of grahss skuts and eatah of poi, I say to you that as Jinjiss Khan did to the plains of Asia, I will do to those who oppose the wearing of grahss skuts and the eating of poi. I ahsk you, who among us does not hunt hahgs with a lahge knife?"
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe they're finally getting tired of sky-high everything under their liberal gov't. There's only so much people can put up with, but the election's not over yet. We shall see...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't even BEGIN to imagine how sKerry would come across trying to go "native" in Hawaii.

Can you imagine that Masshole elite snob trying to "fit in" wearing a Hawaiian shirt, a lei, flip-flops () and sitting down at a luau eating roast pig and poi with his fingers?

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe if kerry did go to Hawaii we could get "Dog" Chapman to nail him for that shotgun gift of a few weeks ago.

Don't move!!!  Get down!!!  Shut the fuck up and get down!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The democrats internal polling must have them crapping bricks.  This ain't looking good for Kerry at all.  

Probably not.  The people working on the campaign and analyzing the data are all Clintonistas who are just waiting for the 2008 campaign.  They are probably telling sKerry that everyhting is fine and that there is nothing to worry about
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"As a lifelong wearah of grahss skuts and eatah of poi, I say to you that as Jinjiss Khan did to the plains of Asia, I will do to those who oppose the wearing of grahss skuts and the eating of poi. I ahsk you, who among us does not hunt hahgs with a lahge knife?"

Please get Kerry to try and hunt for hogs on his belly....Please?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]
[sgtar15] 45 States [/sgtar15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top