Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 4:49:59 PM EDT
www.religioustolerance.org/asatru.htm
History:

Asatru is frequently regarded as one of the Neopagan family of religions. That family includes Wicca, Celtic Druidism, and re-creations of Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and other ancient Pagan religions. However, many Asatruers prefer the term "Heathen" to "Neopagan" and look upon their tradition as "not just a branch on the Neopagan tree" but as a separate tree.  Unlike Wicca, which has gradually evolved into many different traditions, the reconstruction of Asatru has been based on the surviving historical record. Its followers have maintained it as closely as possible to the original religion of the Norse people.

Some sources state that Asatru or Ásatrú is of Norse origin, derived from the Danish word Asetro. It was "first seen in 1885 in an article in the periodical "Fjallkonan". The next recorded instance was in "Heiðinn siður á Íslandi" by Ólafur Briem (Reykjavík, 1945)." The title means "Heathen traditions in Iceland."

Throughout Scandinavia the religion is called Forn Siðr (which means the Ancient way or tradition), Forn sed (the Old custom), Nordisk sed (Nordic custom), or Hedensk sed (Pagan custom). The religion's origin is lost in antiquity. At its peak, it covered all of Northern Europe. In 1000 CE, Iceland became the second last Norse culture to convert to Christianity. Their prime motivation was economic. Sweden was ruled by a Pagan king until 1085 CE.

Icelandic poet Gothi Sveinbjorn Beinteinsson promoted government recognition of Asatru as a legitimate religion; this status was granted in 1972. Since the early 1970's, the religion has been in a period of rapid growth in the former Norse countries, as well as in Europe and North America.

Life Values: Asatruars in North America have created a list of Nine Noble Virtues: Courage, Truth, Honor, Fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industriousness, Self-Reliance and Perseverance. The family is greatly valued and honored. They reject any form of discrimination based on ethnicity, gender, language, nationality, race, sexual orientation, or "other divisive criteria".
Sounds alot like me already.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
As a part of the great European Folkway, Asatru has a number of characteristic beliefs. Some of these are:

The world is good. Prosperity is good. Life is good, and we should live it with joy and enthusiasm.

We are free to shape our lives to the extent allowed by our skill, courage, and might. There is no predestination, no fatalism, no limitations imposed by the will of any external deity.

We do not need salvation. All we need is the freedom to face our destiny with courage and honor.

We are connected to all our ancestors. They are a part of us. We in turn will be a part of our descendants.

We are also linked to all our living kin - to our families and to every man and woman rooted in the tribes of Europe. They are our "greater family."

We are connected to Nature and subject to its laws. The Holy Powers often express themselves in Nature's beauty and might.

We believe that morality does not depend on commandments, but rather arises from the dignity and honor of the noble-minded man and woman.

We do not fear the Holy Powers, or consider ourselves their slaves. On the contrary, we share community and fellowship with the Divine. The Holy Powers encourage us to grow and advance to higher levels.

We honor the Holy Powers under the names given them by our Germanic/Norse ancestors.

We practice Asatru by honoring the turning of the seasons…the ancestors…the Divine…and ourselves - in everyday life.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You may point out that prehistoric cave drawings found recently revealed strange rituals practiced by this religion.  Apparently pictures were found that showed male followers poking female members poppers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You may point out that prehistoric cave drawings found recently revealed strange rituals practiced by this religion.  Apparently pictures were found that showed male followers poking female members poppers.

LOL, you say that like it's a "bad thing".
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch out howster doesnt get in this thread and make it all crazy....
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Much wiser to choose your beliefs than be brainwashed into the '''''club''''your 'borninto'
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I heard "Jedi Knoght" is a recognized religion in the UK. apparantly all you need is 10,000 members for ther gov't to recognize it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess that would fly if we actually had the authority and power to define and make up a religion according to how we would like things to be.

As the priest in the movie Rudy said, "I'm sure of two things.  First, there is a God.  Second, I'm not him."

The choice we are faced with is whether or not we accept the revealed Truth that:

a. Yahweh, the Living God of the Bible, created mankind for fellowship.  

b. However, the fellowship between us and Him was broken when man disobeyed and rebelled (commonly known as sin).  

c. God Himself stepped into this world in the person of Jesus of Nazareth and took the penalty for our sin upon Himself, providing the means for us to be forgiven and restoring the relationship between us and our creator.

That's the way it is.  All you can do is accept or reject it.  Imagining a religion without sin is appealing, but in the end you can't escape accountability before our Creator.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Asatru Rituals and Practices:
- Their local religious communities are called Kindreds, Hearths, or Garths. Male priests are called Gothi; priestesses are Gythia
- The Blot: (pronounced "bloats") This is their most common religious ritual; it is a sacrifice to the Gods. In olden days, as with almost all ancient religions, an animal was consecrated to the deities and then slaughtered. This was not seen as a bribe or as a method of capturing the power of the dying animal. It is simply the way in which the ancient Norse shared their bounty with a gift to the Gods. Currently, the animal sacrifice has been replaced by the offer of beer, juice or mead. Afterwards, those present are either sprinkled with the liquid, or drink it in sequence.
- The Sumbel: This is a ritual drinking celebration, in which a horn filled with a drink is passed around the group. Each person delivers a greeting; a toast to the Gods, ancient heroes, or one's ancestors; or a story, song or poem. He or she then drinks from the horn.
- Profession or Adoption: This is the act of making a commitment to Asatru to the exclusion of other faiths, by solemnly giving an oath of allegiance and kinship to the Gods of Asgard, the Aesir and Vanir. It is a simple ceremony usually done in the presence of a Gothi or Gythia and the rest of the Kindred, Hearth or Garth. It is taken on an oath ring or some other sacred object.

Ritual drinking!  Now thats a religious I can get into!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#11]

so...if i'm looking for a religion with the most naked orgies and drunken festival days...which one should i sign up for?

And then the "atheists" could be holier-than-thou...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah, there's nothing like an 'animal sacrifice' except when the animal being ritually sacrificed is human.

Ask the Tollund Man how he appreciated being strangled and clubbed to death at such an event.

Oops. He's dead and unable to explain how moving such a religious experience can be.

It could be that he was a criminal or a prisoner of war. But then that could hardly explain the bog bodies of young girls and children similarly found throughtout pre-Christian Northern Europe.

While the men probably didn't appreciate the spread of Christianity into the land of ice and fire, I can well imagine that the women and children were somewhat relieved.

Eric The(Historical)Hun

Your claim makes total sense when you ignore the autrocities of christianity  throughout the ages.

but since eric is a jew , he should be ashamed that he would critisize anothers religion, while claiming that his own has been unjustly persecuted by all others.

eric the BS artist

HAIL ODIN
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I think if a person grew up "in the wild" with no religious brain washing Asatru would come close to what they'd come up with as a religion. We are all so brain washed in this country to follow the "main stream" where religion is conserned be it Christianity or Judiasm anything else is just plain "weird" in the eye's of most and that's a damn shame. It's the same with our politics, either a Republican or a Democrat but don't be anything else, Vallhala forbid that you vote Libertarian and "throw away" your vote.  Sure, we have the freedom of choice in this country, as long as it one of the two or three that are offered, but don't pick anything else or you won't fit in with the rest of the zombies. Hell, if you pick something different you may even end up having an "original" thought and we just can't have that here in the "land of the free and the home of the brave".    
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I heard "Jedi Knoght" is a recognized religion in the UK. apparantly all you need is 10,000 members for ther gov't to recognize it.

hehe go look it up on snopes

/eyeroll
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think if a person grew up "in the wild" with no religious brain washing Asatru would come close to what they'd come up with as a religion. We are all so brain washed in this country to follow the "main stream" where religion is conserned be it Christianity or Judiasm anything else is just plain "weird" in the eye's of most and that's a damn shame. It's the same with our politics, either a Republican or a Democrat but don't be anything else, Vallhala forbid that you vote Libertarian and "throw away" your vote.  Sure, we have the freedom of choice in this country, as long as it one of the two or three that are offered, but don't pick anything else or you won't fit in with the rest of the zombies. Hell, if you pick something different you may even end up having an "original" thought and we just can't have that here in the "land of the free and the home of the brave".    

I gotta ask - How old ARE you?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know why it matters but if you just can't go on living unless you find out I'll tell ya', I'm 43, so does that make some kind of a difference or something?  How old are you, since we're sharing all of this info. with each other. Oh, and by the way, I take a 2xlg in shirts, 42x34 pants and have a size 11 shoe. Anything else ya'd like to know, LOL
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Now I see why the tribe of Dan was omitted from filling the ranks of the elect.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know why it matters but if you just can't go on living unless you find out I'll tell ya', I'm 43, so does that make some kind of a difference or something?  How old are you, since we're sharing all of this info. with each other. Oh, and by the way, I take a 2xlg in shirts, 42x34 pants and have a size 11 shoe. Anything else ya'd like to know, LOL

I am not the one acting like a teenager.

I am 29.

I have a 33 inch waist and inseam.

Agnosticsim I understand, but believing in ancient polytheist religions?  Usually that is for attention starved teenagers.

You also completely dismissed mine and others attempts to explain Christianity to you - and use your fundamentalist upbringing as your sole basis to understand "Christians."  I observed this quite often in college when some of the backwoods fire and brimstone types were exposed for the first time to the greater world of ideas and competing world views.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I've known alot of people(myself included) that have followed the principals of Asatru, we just didn't know that how we felt and what we believed in had a name.
By the way, I used to be a 34x36 but for some reason as I got older and fatter my legs got shorter, I'm still 6'4" but I've lost 2" in my pants length, go figure that one out because I can't.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've known alot of people(myself included) that have followed the principals of Asatru, we just didn't know that how we felt and what we believed in had a name.
By the way, I used to be a 34x36 but for some reason as I got older and fatter my legs got shorter, I'm still 6'4" but I've lost 2" in my pants length, go figure that one out because I can't.

The hting is, those principals are universal to most human religions.  Read the Gospels honestly and you would see they are basically the same ones that Christ espoused.  They are also the same ones Buddha, and many other great men have espoused.

Your religion though, requires you to believe in Thor, Odin, etc. - which I, quite frankly, find laughable.  Do you really think the thunder is caused by an angry god?  Or that the tides are caused by a giant serpent?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hting is, those principals are universal to most human religions.  Read the Gospels honestly and you would see they are basically the same ones that Christ espoused.  They are also the same ones Buddha, and many other great men have espoused.

Your religion though, requires you to believe in Thor, Odin, etc. - which I, quite frankly, find laughable.  Do you really think the thunder is caused by an angry god?  Or that the tides are caused by a giant serpent?

Do Christians really believe that we're made out of dirt or that God puts the rainbows in the sky. It's all myth but it's up to us what we do with it and how we take it. It's just as easy for me to believe that Odin made man out of an Ash tree as it is to believe that "God"(YHVH?) made man form dirt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do Christians really believe that we're made out of dirt or that God puts the rainbows in the sky. It's all myth but it's up to us what we do with it and how we take it. It's just as easy for me to believe that Odin made man out of an Ash tree as it is to believe that "God"(YHVH?) made man form dirt.

There you go again - you manage to IGNORE 95% of Christiantiy that does not espouse the literal truth of the Creation stories, etc.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
There you go again - you manage to IGNORE 95% of Christiantiy that does not espouse the literal truth of the Creation stories, etc.  

Then why denigrate our labels for the same things? No one in the Asatruar circles I've met has ever thought that somewhere, out there, is the Fenriss Wolf lying in wait for Ragnarok to gobble up the Sun.

I wish I could say the same for Christians and their belief that anyone not kissing Gods ass will be dragged off to Hell for enternity by some horned devil...

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then why denigrate our labels for the same things? No one in the Asatruar circles I've met has ever thought that somewhere, out there, is the Fenriss Wolf lying in wait for Ragnarok to gobble up the Sun.

So if you don't believe in those Gods and those myths - what is the point in being in your "church?"

I wish I could say the same for Christians and their belief that anyone not kissing Gods ass will be dragged off to Hell for enternity by some horned devil...

That is not my belief.  Nor is it "Christian" belief.  Your whole argument seems to be "If I am going to believe some ancient myth, I will pick one that better suits me."  OK, fine - but be honest about it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

No I guess you are right, rainbows are bridges to Vahalla called Bifost which is guarded by the God Vel.  The tree Yggdrasill which all life began stretched between the nine worlds where the Gods battle the giants and if either obtain victory it will be the end of the world.

Of course all of this was brought about in Ginnungagap when the fire from Muspellheim joined with the ice of Niflheim to form the first two creatures from the abysis Ymir a frost giant and Audhumla a cow.  It follows then that all life comes from a cow and from a cow all life is sustained.  I hope the Hindus understand this for they will surely die.

Many anchient religions have seen their rebirth in the last century, however most are modified from their historic reality to fit someones impression of their own present day reality.  It's true that the path to enlightment is free thinking however one should research something as important as religon before they impulse buy into a line or book written by others.
Tj

You're right TJ, that sounds just about as crazy as a God saying a word and having everything just "pop" into exsistance. No trouble making each and every critter, just say the word and "bang" all birds are done, all fish are done. Just like Magic. It's all a "Creation Myth" , nothing more and nothing less. As a rule Asatru isn't really conserned with creation, it's the here and now that they worry about. Living your life in the now and taking care to follow the 9 virtues is what's important.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
So if you don't believe in those Gods and those myths - what is the point in being in your "church?"

Why not? Religion helps people deal with moral problems in their lives, gives them comfort in the face of adversity, and is a convenient label for that which is unknown.

That is not my belief.  Nor is it "Christian" belief.  Your whole argument seems to be "If I am going to believe some ancient myth, I will pick one that better suits me."  OK, fine - but be honest about it.

I am. What is your point? Besides, "You guys are kooks for believing in Odin".... And yes, if you don't do every little thing your God commands, then you are a sinner and will burn in Hell. How is that NOT a Christian belief?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not? Religion helps people deal with moral problems in their lives, gives them comfort in the face of adversity, and is a convenient label for that which is unknown.

I am. What is your point? Besides, "You guys are kooks for believing in Odin".... And yes, if you don't do every little thing your God commands, then you are a sinner and will burn in Hell. How is that NOT a Christian belief?

I invite you to point out where in the Gospels this is said.  I also invit eyou to point out where in the cartechism of the Catholic Church (my Church) this is said.

You refer to twisted interpretation of the book of revelation and quotes from Christ poorly translated and taken out of context.  Again, you base your impression of "Christianity" on American fundemantalist Christianity, or medievel superstition.  It is no surprise that many of today's "pagans" come from such traditions.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I invite you to point out where in the Gospels this is said.  I also invit eyou to point out where in the cartechism of the Catholic Church (my Church) this is said.

You refer to twisted interpretation of the book of revelation and quotes from Christ poorly translated and taken out of context.  Again, you base your impression of "Christianity" on American fundemantalist Christianity, or medievel superstition.  It is no surprise that many of today's "pagans" come from such traditions.

Ahh... a Cathy-lic as the Baptists say. Do you really believe that a person can be an evil bastard their entire life, recieve the Supreme Unction one breadth from death, and still make it into Heaven? I take it you never read the Book of Romans in the KJV? Pay speacial attention to Romans 10:9.

According to the Catholic Catechism, it isn't so much that JHVH sends a person to Hell, it is that their denial of his existance and supremacy automaticly dumps them there. Only through the bizzare rituals attendant upon your ritual cannibalism of your Christ figure and the attendant Saints, that you are allowed to debase yourself enough to make it through Purgatory and be judged worthy of Heaven.

Is that about the right of it?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#31]
"I don't know if there is a god, but I'm afraid of him."
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

LOL, "My god can beat up your god!". LOL[
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Fearing God. Now THAT is an interesting concept. If a God is supposed to be loving, gentle, one who would sacrifice his own offspring for us.... why should we fear that deity?

I can easily understand fearing a God/dess like Thor, Loki, Pluto, Hades, or Kali. Their beserker rages, inherent evil, or out right capriciousness makes them easy targets for fear. Even if only considered as archetypes of human behavior or morality.

But why "fear" a deity who you go to in supplication for forgiviness for preceived sins? In the Nordic/Germanic traditions, it is the sum total of your life that gains you entrance to the upper Halls of the after life. Not suddenly "finding God" at your lifes end.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I agree, this can be a very interesting thread as long as we don't bash each other. Problem is, once you say something that goes against Christian Teaching the Christians start telling you about how you've got to believe in Jesus or you'll go to hell and burn forever and ever, then they start wanting to pray for you because you're a "poor lost soul" in need of redemption. From their point of view they're right, from mine they're not.   I fully believe that man is a superstitious lot and that superstition spawned religion. We have a "need" to explain things and those things that we can't explain we chalk up to the "Gods" if for no other reason then to try and keep our sanity.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I agree, this can be a very interesting thread as long as we don't bash each other. Problem is, once you say something that goes against Christian Teaching the Christians start telling you about how you've got to believe in Jesus or you'll go to hell and burn forever and ever, then they start wanting to pray for you because you're a "poor lost soul" in need of redemption. From their point of view they're right, from mine they're not.   I fully believe that man is a superstitious lot and that superstition spawned religion. We have a "need" to explain things and those things that we can't explain we chalk up to the "Gods" if for no other reason then to try and keep our sanity.

They can pray for us all they want. It does us no harm. We can pray for them as well. As long as they remember to thank us for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday... I'll be happy. (Tyr, Odin, Thor, and Frig respectively)

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can pray for us all they want. It does us no harm. We can pray for them as well. As long as they remember to thank us for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday... I'll be happy. (Tyr, Odin, Thor, and Frig respectively)

Don't forget "Christmas", the legal system that we enjoy(or don't,LOL) the founding of the American continent(Vikings were here about 400 years before ol' Christhoper Columbus) and many other things(the word "thing" is a Viking word.) that I can't even remember right now. I'm sure a google search of "Viking contributions to modern society" might turn up some interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Hey, I have a cool religion I just made up.  Let's see... uh, it says you have to be nice.. and all babes must take it up the pooper and let you take pics... and uh when you die, you get 100 virgins.  The slogan is "I'm OK, you're OK, OK? OK!"

Live long and propser, bird brain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top