Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2004 3:45:56 PM EDT
I just fired up an old laptop I haven't used in about 8 months, and I have no clue what the damm password is on it... is there any way to reset the password?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Garand Shooter ...

Don't think so budd. If you cannot get to your desktop, it's all she wrote.

If you can, say if you're on a network ... the control panel is where passwords are changed.

Otherwise, you might have to go for a total re-format.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a way to get in.  There is a Linux boot disk (I cannot recall the name) that you can use that will bring the system up, and mount the C drive.  It will then manipulate the hive files that contain the password.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
thats what im figuring. Oh well, there isn't anything important on it but I just didnt feel like having to download all the drivers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Try threatening it with your most evil looking black rifle. If that doesn't work, car battery to its genitals.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are feeling like trying anything:

home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

I believe this is the one I've tried before and it works pretty decently.  Depending on the service pack it may make some files unaccessable when you change the password through this software.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You can use this linux boot disk to remove the administrator password. It works and is fairly straight forward - just accepting the defaults usually works.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

ETA: I see purplecheese beat me to the punch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top