Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2004 2:05:32 PM EDT
I just finished up talking with the Marine recruiter who drove out to Lawrence to meet. I'm going to be taking the physical and ASVAB Mon/Tues. and will start the delayed entry program. If everything goes well my GO date for MCRD should be mid January. I'm pretty excited to say the least.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats dude. Make sure it's what you want and not some "I want to go shoot someone" bravado.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Which Depot will you be going to?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
good luck
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Start running YESTERDAY. Good luck bro.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Which Depot will you be going to?

San Diego
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope you enjoy the accomodations at the "Parris Island" recruit depot.

or San Diego
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah I've already been doing a lot of running and strenth training. The delayed entry program makes you meet with them too I think and do more PT, so I should be in good shape by the time I go.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Hope you go to MEPS Kansas City.

4 star hotel and prime rib buffet.

I'm not kidding either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hold out for the Occ Field you want, don't let them bullshit you at MEPS.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well I want 0311 so I should be ok.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

II agree with HappyShooter. Read the following thread for some good info. Best of luck:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=77&t=278474
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I've already been doing a lot of running and strenth training. The delayed entry program makes you meet with them too I think and do more PT, so I should be in good shape by the time I go.

Run and work on upper body strength and stamina. Work on your pull ups and push ups, get proper form down.

I would also suggest a lot of dips and set ups. Dips will make the push ups eaiser by strengthening your triceps.

Good luck and god bless.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Great! Thanks for the tips guys. I will definately read that article after I get off of work tonight. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

0311 was my MOS. INFANTRY RIFLEMAN - it's what it's all about. You're gonna be the tip of the spear, and you're gonna see combat, guaranteed. Let me be the first to say to you, Semper Fidelis. Make us proud!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then get a contract that says Occ Field 03 or 03XX.

Listen to people who have been there and who don't have any reason to steer you wrong.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#16]
My contract actually said "0311 Infantry Rifleman" on it. It's not like you're asking for avionics or something, so this shouldn't be too much to ask of your recruiter. Tell him this is what you want and make sure it's on your contract.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your recruiter can't make you do anything.  Sure, he can suggest you come in for PT and all that... but its your call.  You're free to do what you please while on DEP.  I did exactly jack shit and never even talked to my recruiter while I was a 7 month DEP.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats.

I was where you are at now 18 years ago.

No regrets.

Go get 'em.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My buddy Scott aka Skillets is 0311, getting ready to ship out here in 45 days for the sandbox. He loves it.

My other buddy BJ is going into Boot 10-25 w/ a aircraft repair MOS.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I just happen to be stationed at MCRD San Diego if you want some inside info let me now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I hope you enjoy the accomodations at the "Parris Island"Sand Fleas!!! recruit depot.

or San Diego

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey I really appreciate all of the replies. I can definately take all of the advice I can get. I have a copy of the general orders and rank structure and will have that memorized by the time I go. Anything else I should look into?

As far as getting 0311 I should be ok. I told my recruiter specifically that is what I wanted and he said he could get me a spot, but I'll definately make sure it gets done.

Also with my PT which would be more beneficial for basic, a lot of wind sprints or running 2-5 miles a day? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Good Luck, man.  Give 'em Hell!!  Thank you for volunteering to protect our asses.  I really appreciate your sacrifice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Speak to all your relatives.  Tell them to avoid the Michael Moron types.  

It pisses me off when some relatives say that GW is sending their sons to war.  

We join the Corps to fight, not to save money for a college education.

Make us proud and GET SOME!

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#26]
From one Marine(87-91) to a future (hopefully) Marine, go to as many DEP meetings as you can. They will teach you stuff that will be good to know while in boot camp. Before you go in, clear your mind and keep it as open as you can. I have no idea what boot camp is like nowadays but don't let the yelling and name calling get to you. That is why they do it, cause if you can't handle a little loud noise and insults , your not going to be able to handle combat. My MOS was 0311 also. I went in signed up for that. To me , being anything else is like ,well like being a boxer and never fighting anyone , or being a nascar driver and not going fast. I don't mean any disrespect to any body who served , being in the infantry was everything for me. Anyway, good luck and take care.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Only advice I can give you from my own experience concerns the ASVAB. Don't sweat it, just take your time and you'll do fine.  I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I managed a 99.  You don't have to get all of them right to get a perfect score.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#28]
yeah I took a sample ASVAB today and scored well on it, so I'm not to worried.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
yeah I took a sample ASVAB today and scored well on it, so I'm not to worried.

I did worse on the practice than I did the real; probably due to there being far less questions on the practice.

Again, thank you for your future service.  Takes a man to make that sacrafice.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Do your PT. Strength training and endurance running. Get a guide book and essential subjects. Study them and learn your general orders. Read up on Marine Corps history, learn it, know it, live it. Have your recruiters show you how to strip and clean an M16. Get them to teach you rifle manual and other drill movements such as facing movements, saluting, etc. When you get to bootcamp. Be a leader, not a follower. Would you rather be lead by a stranger or would you rather do the leading? Don't be afraid to volunteer, for everything. When your Drill Instructors ask for a body, sound off first, everytime. Most importantly, don't flaunt everything you have learned before Bootcamp. Drill Instructors love a motivated Recruit. Everyone hates a know it all.

One more very important thing. When I was at Parris Island, the plan of the day was posted on a clip board at the quarter deck. It is a breakdown of the training schedule for every training day of recruit training. If this is still SOP, read it on firewatch. Then you will know exactly what you will be doing the next day. Make a note of "Commanders time" This is the fuck with the recruits time between scheduled training events. It's usually no more than 20 minutes long. If you know how long Commanders time is, you will know how long they have to fuck with you until the next event. It helps to know how much time they have to get you on the quarter deck. With this little bit of knowledge, if you keep your shit together, most of the time you can beat the clock.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I just finished up talking with the Marine recruiter who drove out to Lawrence to meet. I'm going to be taking the physical and ASVAB Mon/Tues. and will start the delayed entry program. If everything goes well my GO date for MCRD should be mid January. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Have fun at MEPS...    'Hurry up & Wait' exemplified (just did the physical/DEP thing for the Army yesterday...  I should be on my way to OCS (Benning) about the time you get to San Diego).

I don't know about DEP meetings, my DEP time is 19 days, not months...

That aside, thanks & good luck with the Corps...

I doubt you'll have any trouble getting 'Infantry Rifleman' in the Marines, considering that that's what the Marines are (very proud to be) all about...

And as everyone's said, GET IT IN YOUR CONTRACT anyway... After all, the needs of the Corps could suddently require extra truck mechanics or something...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

One more very important thing. When I was at Parris Island, the plan of the day was posted on a clip board at the quarter deck. It is a breakdown of the training schedule for every training day of recruit training. If this is still SOP, read it on firewatch. Then you will know exactly what you will be doing the next day. Make a note of "Commanders time" This is the fuck with the recruits time between scheduled training events. It's usually no more than 20 minutes long. If you know how long Commanders time is, you will know how long they have to fuck with you until the next event. It helps to know how much time they have to get you on the quarter deck. With this little bit of knowledge, if you keep your shit together, most of the time you can beat the clock.

That is by far the best "insider" info I have ever heard concerning basic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top