Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 12:37:49 PM EDT
From Fox News:

LONG BEACH, Calif. — Conservatives have long complained that the nation's universities are skewed to foster liberal political beliefs, and now one California professor is taking heat for the perceived slant of a class.

Clifton Snider, a professor at California State University Long Beach (search), has suggested to his English 101 students that they write about current political topics.

In this required class, Snider asks students to think about: "Is it right for the Bush administration to use the War on Terrorism for political or commercial purposes? Should Justice Sandra Day O'Connor (search) have been impeached for her partisan, political actions in the Bush v. Gore case? What evidence do we have that Mr. Bush and his cronies lied to the American people in promoting the Iraq war?"

Snider also prohibits students from writing about prayer in public schools, same-sex marriage, the "so-called faith-based initiative (search)," abortion and "so-called creationism," which in his opinion, "[there is] no other side apart from chauvinistic, religious, or bigoted opinions."

"The real issue is he is able to manipulate the students' minds year in and year out," said student Marissa Fremais. "And I think the university should take a look at that and force him to be a little, not-so-one-sided on the issue."

FOX News asked the school's chancellor, faculty Senate and English Department to address the students' complaints — and they all refused. Snider also failed to respond to repeated e-mails, calls, and notes left in his office. However, he did suggest on his Web site that his persistent criticism of the administration is protected by principles of academic freedom.

I believe e-mails and phone calls are in order. Link to article

ETA to add Professor Snider's webpage

CW
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
california.............i'm not surprised in the least
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]

So, are these statements from his actual syllabus, or on the record - or are we taking the word of a particular student (who perhaps got a bad grade or doesn't like him) for it?

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw this on Fox News last night. The guy actually makes no bones about his bias.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Saw this on Fox News last night. The guy actually makes no bones about his bias.

Well, then he's an asshole.  No instructor should push their personal political views in class.  It's very inappropriate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sent this to the idiot:

I am certain you will receive multiple eloquently worded emails protesting your English 101 assignments. I, however, wish to be blunt. You are a two-faced useless drain on society and a sack of shit. I will never advocate any potential college student to attend CSULB in the future and will specifically bad-mouth the school at any opportunity I get.

CW
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone actually posted the guidlines that asshat put out... Totally slanted and biased.  I would have protested.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Hello. I'm a leftist homosexual.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.csulb.edu/~csnider/clif.image.8july01.jpg

Kinda looks like Mike Ditka...

CW
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Sad.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

Kinda looks like Josef Stalin.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
What an asshat.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#12]
People like that need a good shit kicking. We are all entitled to our beliefs but we are NOT entitled to force them on other people.
Hello! Fag professor!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

No, the guy from Commando.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sent this to the idiot:

I am certain you will receive multiple eloquently worded emails protesting your English 101 assignments. I, however, wish to be blunt. You are a two-faced useless drain on society and a sack of shit. I will never advocate any potential college student to attend CSULB in the future and will specifically bad-mouth the school at any opportunity I get.

CW

i've never laughed so hard at one post.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#15]
the cal state uni (CSU) system is a lot more moderate or less political than the university of cal syster (UC).
most of the students that go to long beach state are from conservative orange county, it also has one of the best criminal justice depts on the west coast, where students are a lot more conservative. there is even a religious studies major, and christian groups on campus.

this is just 1 stupid teacher (prolly a life long student with no real world exprience) whos using his job to push his political agenda on his students in an election year.
apart of education is being able to cut through the BULLSHIT, its up to the students to THINK FOR THEMSELVES and realize that this guy is full of shit, but also learn how to deal with it and work within the system to get what they want ..... A GOOD GRADE. so they can move on, graduate, and get in the real world where they will forget whatever this idiot has taught them.

if the students want to protest this asshat, then DROP HIS CLASS, or file complaints with the dean of the dept.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hello. I'm a leftist homosexual.hippie.gif

Y.M.C.A~~it's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.Aa

I think this is the leather cop? Or was he the construction worker? Damn I need to keep these village people straight.  

Wait...I said STRAIGHT!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think emails and calls will do any good.  Didn't the article say that FOX's emails and calls went unanswered?

The guy is a felcher plain and simple.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been working in academia my entire adult life and unfortunately these sorts of professors are way too common.  In some fields--English, Sociology--it's all you get.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

HOW DARE YOU COMPARE THIS PIECE OF SHIT TO DA COACH!?!(blessed be his name)
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#20]
That numbnuts is a lecturer, not a prof.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Actually he looks like that psycho nut that played in "Sleeping With The Enemy" With Julia roberts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Does that fact remedy NOT spreading propaganda around campus?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have been working in academia my entire adult life and unfortunately these sorts of professors are way too common.  In some fields--English, Sociology--it's all you get.

GunLvr

you forgot history.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Is it just me, or does he LOOK LIKE SADDAM HUSSEIN?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#25]
No suprise.

I went to both CSU and UC, and they are both on the far left.  Fortunately, only one of my profs tended to grade that way.  If you made a solid argument, you always got full credit.  I was much more liberal then, so I guess their socailist propaganda failed to indoctrinate me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

you forgot history.

You're right I did.  Apart from the occasional military historian they are another bunch of biased politicians.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#29]
the shit we take going to school around here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
the shit we take going to school around here.

Here is a snip from his paper on Oscar Wilde:

Steward contends that after their sex and while still in bed, Bosie said: "You really needn't have gone to all that trouble, since this [meaning mutual masturbation] is almost all Oscar and I ever did with each other" (51).  Even here Bosie would appear to be disingenuous, for H. Montgomery Hyde, biographer of Wilde and Bosie, quotes Bosie's letter to Frank Harris in which Bosie admits to practicing with Wilde "a species of oral homosexual intercourse" (Hyde, "Oscar Wilde and Lord Alfred Douglas" 146; Hyde's words).  In his biography of Bosie, Hyde quotes Bosie's letter more fully; to wit: "he [Wilde] 'sucked' me" (28).  Bosie further lied to Steward by claiming he and Wilde got "boys for each other [. . . .] I could always get the workers he liked, and he could get the intellectual ones I preferred" (51).  Bosie's latest biographer dispels this lie about the type of boys Bosie preferred: "The sexual relationship between Wilde and Douglas was short-lived , but it was replaced in both by a taste for rent-boys" (Murray 43).

Nevertheless, what evidence exists seems to suggest Wilde did indeed prefer oral to anal sex.  During Wilde's second trial, the "rent-boy" Charles Parker testified that Wilde "committed the act of sodomy upon me" (Hyde, Trials 171).  However, he also testified he had "to do what is vulgarly called 'tossing him off' [. . .] 'and he would often do the same to me,'" yet Parker would never "permit him to insert 'it' in my mouth [. . .]" (172).  This evidence, plus the fact that "by the mid-nineteenth century [sodomy] is identified principally as sex between men," a very vague definition to say the least (Cohen 5; see also 84: before 1885, "felonious buggery" was more likely to refer to anal intercourse), suggests that Wilde's favorite sexual practices with young men, at least before his trials, did not include anal sex.6

Now I will discuss Wilde's romance addiction.  The topic of romance was, of course, a favorite in Wilde's pre-prison work.  In The Importance of Being Earnest,

Nice.  So this is a taxpayer supported State U, huh?  Nice.  Yes, this research will further the education of our youth.  "Did Oscar Wilde like to suck dick or just jerk off boys?"
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that fact remedy NOT spreading propaganda around campus?

It just gives him even less credibility. Well, maybe more considering how you look at the state of affairs at US colleges.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ever hear of a City named Austin?

My son is currently facing a Prof like this in his Poly Sci class.  Luckily he is smart enough to write his reports with the same sarcastic humor I have.

Usually the teacher doesn't even know he is being ragged on, but the rest of the class does.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#34]
His email is on his website if you wanted to email him, I did
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top