Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2004 6:16:11 AM EDT
Conversation heard at work just a few minutes ago:

...and then I can just swing down and take off his arm with a downstroke. [makes motion of swinging sword downwards] It's great for home defense.

other person nods and mumbles...

See, I hate guns. I've got a Desert Eagle .44 at home, but I prefer swords. That's a real man's weapon..

other person mumbles, tries not to roll his eyes

Where the fuck does Human Resources find these people?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
How old are they, 14???
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I just use stern words and quick, jerky motions...no need for a gun...nope.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd offer him $300 for that POS desert eagle that he hates (and probaly doesn't really own).

There were several HUGE discussions on the old rec.guns years back arguing the CQB superiority of "Sword v. Gun".

I work with a guy that relies on nunchuks for his first line of HD.  His wife makes him keep his S&W 686 and Benelli locked up tighter than a drum.  He swears by his nunchuka tho!

KIII-YAH!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:20:07 AM EDT
[#4]
And after they get off work they all run home to play Dungeons & Dragons...

and to answer your question....

Human Resources finds those people at Star Wars conventions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Human Resources finds those people at Star Wars conventions.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]
They realised that guns>swords what? 400 years ago?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a guy work for me that thought he was a Ninja/Vampire.  Swords were his preferred weapons.  I just told him I use American Karate.  "What's American Karate?"

"Ching-Ching POW!"  <mimic trigger finger pulling trigger>
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
a trained swordsman at close range is a VERY dangerous individual. Give me a few feet and i can take him without breaking a sweat.

Hell, an untrained swordsman at close range is a VERY dangerous individual, to everyone up to and including himself.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#10]
A sword can be a damn deadly weapon, and in some settings/situations, may be able to overcome an armed intruder (if you have surprise)... but I am not going to compromise or gamble with my safety.  My 1911 loaded with Gold Dot hollowpoints will be my first line of home defense.  Period.

Someone breaks in, they get a doubletap to the chest and one in the noggin.  That'll leave me with 6 rounds for any other intruding scum.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Conversation heard at work just a few minutes ago:

...and then I can just swing down and take off his arm with a downstroke. [makes motion of swinging sword downwards] It's great for home defense.

other person nods and mumbles...

See, I hate guns. I've got a Desert Eagle .44 at home, but I prefer swords. That's a real man's weapon..

other person mumbles, tries not to roll his eyes

Where the fuck does Human Resources find these people?

I dont know but can you get me his address?  I need to make a withdrawl....  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Next time you see this guy, ask him about his 'deagle'. Say it just like that. If he answers without saying, "what?" :

1. he doesn't really own one
2. he learned everything he knows about guns from playing Counterstrike.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I own an arming sowrd, a USMC NCO saber, and several large knives. They are all on display in various rooms in the house. I practice Iaido forms with my bokken and shinai as well as some western fencing forms.

However, for HD... the 9mm is next to my end of the couch in a hidden compartment in the end table. The AR is under my side of the bed with a full mag pouch laying next to it. There is a .410 in my wife's closet, loaded.

Nothing wrong with martial arts. But when it comes to fending off a home invasion, firearms are the only way to go. Until they come up with something better (handlaser, mass driver, fusion pistol, plasma rifle, insert sci-fi badass weapon here).

Never bring a battle axe to a shotgun fight.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm

I'd still take my pistol though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#16]
If swords are adequate for home defense or any other type of defense please tell me what modern military, SWAT team, police force issues swords to it's members?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Sound like the guys over at www.bladeforums.com  or www.themartialist.com seems like every other thread is about defending yourself with a sword or sleeping with a knife under your pillow.   The guy on "the martialist" is named Phil Elmore who is an accountant, no military or police experience , no CCW permit or training, never acheived above a brown belt in any martial art, yet is starting his own style of martial arts.

These folks just make me laugh.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#18]

rock breaks scissors
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'd offer him $300 for that POS desert eagle that he hates (and probaly doesn't really own).

There were several HUGE discussions on the old rec.guns years back arguing the CQB superiority of "Sword v. Gun".

I work with a guy that relies on nunchuks for his first line of HD.  His wife makes him keep his S&W 686 and Benelli locked up tighter than a drum.  He swears by his nunchuka tho!

KIII-YAH!!!

This post made me remember this undisputed "Kung Fu Master"

http://uk.download.yahoo.com/ne/fu/attachments/castin.mpeg      

Enjoy

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/bayeagle/ARF/96.jpg

rock breaks scissors

Man, I was looking for that for this thread.

Show this to your "coworker"
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
<snip>"What's American Karate?"

"Ching-Ching POW!"  <mimic trigger finger pulling trigger>

Man, I gotta remember this one!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#23]
YOU SHOT THE INVISIBLE SWORDSMAN!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Next time you see this guy, ask him about his 'deagle'. Say it just like that. If he answers without saying, "what?" :

2. he learned everything he knows about guns from playing Counterstrike SOCOM II.

there fixed it for ya!The only place I have heard "deagle" is SOCOM II online.Gamer are we?

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
there fixed it for ya!The only place I have heard "deagle" is SOCOM II online.Gamer are we?

Used to play CS years ago, before it went all funny in the head with smacktards and hackers. CS is the most-played online FPS in history.

Most people who 'own' a desert eagle, learn of its ultimate awesomeness thusly. Or by watching The Matrix.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#26]
If a sword were all that I had, most home invaders would be quite dead before they were quite aware of what hit them.  Having fenced for 15 years now I can reliably put the point through the heart starting at 10-12 ft away.

Never would I choose a sword.  

Guns were the great emancipator.  Made it simple for the untrained to engage in duels.

My momma always taught me never to bring a knife to gunfight.

Not stupid.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
And after they get off work they all run home to play Dungeons & Dragons...

LOL, guess they were the ones who were never that good at D&D, seeing as how they're not currently running software companies.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

2. he learned everything he knows about guns from playing Counterstrike.

LMAO!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top