Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 2:47:35 AM EDT

Is there ANYTHING left in this world that ANYONE is allowed to do without getting express written permission, in blood, from a "higher authority" (or a dozen lawyers with a written opinion)?

www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1640&u_sid=1236623

Bellevue parents raise stink about class spray

BY EMILY GERSEMA

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

A few Bellevue families are circulating a petition in an effort to get a music teacher fired because they say she sprayed a deodorizer on her students.

District officials who investigated the situation determined that the teacher was using the deodorizer Febreze in her classroom but did not spray the children directly.

Shane Lambert said Wednesday that he complained to district administrators in late August that the Betz Elementary School teacher sprayed his daughter and another child. He said the teacher "told them 'they stink, they smell foul.'"

Cathy Williams, a spokeswoman for Bellevue Public Schools, said only a few parents complained. She said administrators found that the teacher sprayed the room but didn't directly spray children. The teacher was not disciplined.

"The principal did an investigation into it and determined that this is what had happened and told the teacher to cease, to stop using Febreze," Williams said. She added that the product is no longer allowed at school.

Lambert said he and another parent, Mona Williams, are gathering signatures because they want the teacher and the principal fired. He said he hopes to address the school board next month.

Mona Williams, who works with Lambert's wife, said that her 10-year-old son was sprayed in the face and that the deodorizer aggravated his allergies and asthma.

She said she doesn't know how many parents have signed the petition, which has circulated for nearly a week. She said, though, that administrators are trying to set up meetings with her and other parents who signed the petition.

Cathy Williams said the district has tried to address parents' concerns but will not fire the teacher or principal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Ban clean air!

For the children!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe they should have thier kids bathe
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Your comments seem unwarranted on this case.  In some places, a teacher would be wearing an ass whoopin by a parent for spraying something in a student's face.  You don't have kids, do you?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 kids and I also know that kids (and parents) these days tend to blow every minor incident that happens into some life-threating event.

Sorry, but without further evidence my take on it is that some of the spray drifted on the kids and from that it turned into "the teacher was MEAN he sprayed that stuff right in my face" or kid said "teacher sprayed us" and mommy hears "teacher sprayed that stuff on us".
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:03:47 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was in school people would be there who stunk, bad.  There are some very dirty people there.

I remember there was some girl spraying around "perfume" it smelled just like the stuff you spray on plants to kill bugs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:07:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't see anything about spraying something in a students face.  The kids probably did stink.  Think about 30 kids coming in after recess where they got hot and sweaty all cooped up in one room.  I can see myself saying,"You stink!" and spraying febreeze.  They probably did smell funky.
Overblown hyperbole.

jd1
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:12:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have 2 kids and I also know that kids (and parents) these days tend to blow every minor incident that happens into some life-threating event.

Sorry, but without further evidence my take on it is that some of the spray drifted on the kids and from that it turned into "the teacher was MEAN he sprayed that stuff right in my face" or kid said "teacher sprayed us" and mommy hears "teacher sprayed that stuff on us".

Wise words. Agreed.

Take the parents out to the village square and flog them for making a big production out of something as simple as cleaning a classroom.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
"Mona Williams, who works with Lambert's wife, said that her 10-year-old son was sprayed in the face and that the deodorizer aggravated his allergies and asthma."
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#10]
and that the deodorizer aggravated his allergies and asthma.

Home school the "fragile youth then"

I am getting real tired of all these people who have aliments and want the world to accommodate them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
What, none of you got the memo about School sPrayers being unconsitutional?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
and that the deodorizer aggravated his allergies and asthma.

Home school the "fragile youth then"

I am getting real tired of all these people who have aliments and want the world to accommodate them.

Damn straight ! I have NO intention of accommodating your problems.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:05:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Whiney, bitch-ass parents.  I'd of sprayed the little bastards too.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
When I was in school people would be there who stunk, bad.  There are some very dirty people there.

I remember there was some girl spraying around "perfume" it smelled just like the stuff you spray on plants to kill bugs.

Yoo too?

Is EVERYONE changing their avatars this week?  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yoo too?

Is EVERYONE changing their avatars this week?  

Yoo ?
And, no, I am NOT changing my avatar as I AM Captain America !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top