Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 6:14:21 PM EDT
Just entered delayed enlistment today, sworn in as an E-4 (SPC)...

I'm to report for basic training on the 10th of November, at Ft Jackson, followed by OCS at Ft Benning...

So this is the perennial 'Arfcommer leaving for BCT soon, any comments?' thread...

I've got some idea as to what to expect, any 'perticulars' on basic at Jackson?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
good luck and thank you for your service.

i wish i had enlisted after college.

keep us updated when you get out of basic. we'd all like to hear how things are going.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
'relaxin' at Jackson...'

Ask the drill sergeant why you didn't get a mint on your pillow, it's standard issue at Ft Jackson.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
HAHAHA!!

Don't beleive the RELAXIN JACKSON bs.

You can thank Jessika Lynch for that.

Do what your told.
Do it now. Then do it faster next time.
Do not EVER say thank you, or please, or call the Drill Sargeant SIR.
If they ask you if your cold... Say NO!!

What to expect:

PT every morning, run one day, Muscle the next.
There are NO DAYS OFF.
Nothing is easy, if it seems easy, they will make it not easy.
7 mins or less to eat. Do not look up from your food. Do not talk at chow.

Reception is the worst.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Please sign-in from time-to-time and let know how what you're doing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Great
another OCS grad who can explain how he is a better officer because "He came from the ranks"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If  he is granted internet access at anytime during basic those of us that went to Benning will really make fun of him.

Of course things may have changed dramatically since my last visit to the facilities there at beautiful FTB GA.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If  he is granted internet access at anytime during basic those of us that went to Benning will really make fun of him.

Of course things may have changed dramatically since my last visit to the facilities there at beautiful FTB GA.

In true ARFCOM spirit, I will indeed 'Get Both' (Forts, that is)...

I'll be back home for 2wks Christmas leave, so I'll post an 'update' then...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Typical BT stuff:

Do the best you can on everything.
Don't stand out.
Don't volunteer for anything.
Don't act like you "know a better way".
If the Drill Sgt. knows your name, you are already fucked.

I heard that in OCS they will give you more tasks than you can perform. Just to see how you handle them working in a group and by yourself.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't put your hands in your pocket ( I DON'T CARE IF YOUR HANDS ARE COLD!!)

Don't say "sorry"

Don't try and sneak shit past the amnesty box at the reception battalion.

Good Luck (just glad it's and not me... I wouldn't do that shit again for nothing)

thanks,
ROn

edited to add: Don't fall for the "Who has a driver's license" or "Who played ball in school", they are just trying to get you to raise your hand and "volunteer" to police the road or barracks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeah, most importantly, good luck my friend. Welcome to the green brotherhood and just pay attention to detail. They will teach you, by the numbers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Great
another OCS grad who can explain how he is a better officer because "He came from the ranks"

Well, since I didn't, I won't have that perticular attitude...

I've had plenty of warning not to be a cocky bastard know-it-all 2LT
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck. Keep in mind it's not too late to join the Marines.

EDIT: Don't want to turn this into an army/marine bashing thread. Thanks for your service, and remember to keep your head down as you WILL be deployed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Reception is the worst.

Yeah, they run out of those little "pigs in a blanket" real fast....but the open bar is passable.

Take care, give 100% and don't look back.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Basic Combat Traiing, A/1-26 IN, Ft. Jackson, 1993.

Things have changed a lot since then.

They got really slack as the Clinton Era progressed, but I have heard things have started to suck more.  That's good, IMHO.

The training may or may not be worth a shit - the Army sometimes has problems implementing the "train the trainer" concept across the board.  Just keep your mouth shut and do what they say - even if it is wrong.  Usually Ft. Jackson is weakest at rappeling, hand to hand, and first aid stuff.  Just get through it and do great things for the Army.  It is "BASIC" training after all.  If you get through able to march, shoot, and follow simple instructions, they accomplished their primary mission

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Sworn in as an E4? That's new. The highest rank I ever saw someone swore in at was PFC.
Times, they are a changing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
My only real advice is to get your orders changed from that co-ed soup sandwich to a male only basic training. Other than that just refuse to quit and listen to your drills. Remember they can only torture you for two months.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sworn in as an E4? That's new. The highest rank I ever saw someone swore in at was PFC.

Yes, the army has been doing it for awhile for people with 4 year degrees.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Good luck. Keep in mind it's not too late to join the Marines.

EDIT: Don't want to turn this into an army/marine bashing thread. Thanks for your service, and remember to keep your head down as you WILL be deployed.

Heh... I'll save my response to the first for the NEXT Army vs USMC thread...

As for the 2nd, I fully expect to be deployed, as my top branch requests were Armor, Arty, MI, & MP...

Just as long as I don't get signal corps...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing like waking up in the front leaning rest!!!!!!!

Don't forget to pick up extra Stress Cards at the Mini-mall/shopette.
They come in handy.

DO NOT WEAR WHITE SOCKS IN BDUS, some dumb fucker always does. They check.
WEAR THE UNIFORM PRESCRIBED... some dumb fucker always wears a longsleeve PT shirt when they were told short sleeves. They will notice.
DO NOT WEAR A SUMMER HAT WITH WINTER BDUs... some dumb fucker always does. They notice that too.

DO not mention the OCS to anyone. You will regret it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yep, THAT one I've assumed...

Of course I've also assumed that the 3 extra stripes, no MOS, and the rest of my paper trail will be like a bulls-eye on my back for the whole 9wks...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I've also assumed that the 3 extra stripes, no MOS, and the rest of my paper trail will be like a bulls-eye on my back for the whole 9wks...

Umm.. E-4 or SPC isn't 'stripes', you wear what we fondly refer to as the "sham-shield".

Heck when I went through Infantry OSUT in 83, that was when if you had a contract for a particular unit you got your unit patches sewed on at the RECSTA.  Well I had an 82nd Airborne Division contract, we had guys slotted for Ranger Regiment and SF in the class as well.  Senior DS was a bad old-school paratrooper from the 101st in Vietnam.  God he loooooved us.  Gave us special attention since he HATED the 82nd for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Don't forget to pick up extra Stress Cards at the Mini-mall/shopette.
They come in handy....

PLEASE tell me you're kidding!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the army has been doing it for awhile for people with 4 year degrees.

My buddy just got sworn in the Air Force as an E-5, and he is off to OTS in March.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The worst you will get if you do not wear rank is a short smoke session IF they find out.

There is a good chance that they will never find out.

Save the E-4 crap for graduation day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The worst you will get if you do not wear rank is a short smoke session IF they find out.

There is a good chance that they will never find out.

Save the E-4 crap for graduation day.

I just assumed I'd be reqd to wear it... If I don't have to, I won't...

It's just extra pay AFIC, considering how long I'll be an enlisted Soldier...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top