Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/21/2004 6:05:31 PM EDT
We watched Deliverance tonight; had been about 15 years since seing it the first time. We were wondering if there are still places down south where mountain people live like they used to.

???
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
you'd better believe it.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep---but you will never see them. Seriously!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to live in north Ga.  The opening scene looked home.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in East Tennessee, and have hiked the Appalachain trail alot, and i have family that lives in some pretty remote areas. So i have seen some pretty funny stuff, but nothing that bad.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]

YES.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Not like they 'used' to, as the luxuries of civilization have pretty much covered all of the lower 48, so power and basic plumbing is normally present.  However, hillbillies are most certainly still out there...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Not just in Appalachia.

More like from the eastern slope of the Blueridge, then west in a band about 3 or 4 hundred miles wide to about Muskogee.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
No but there's definantely some in Texas...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm currently working in southern WV and there are still some VERY backwards people down there! It's a different kind of life for sure, but plenty of good people there also.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#11]
So in other words, they're the modernized Jeff Foxworthy type hillbillies and not the kind that brew their own whiskey in a still?

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#12]
oh yeah, we still make moonshine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#13]
yes
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I came to Tn. from Chicago and believed all the hillbilly stories. Some local guys and I went on a canoe trip down the buffalo river. We had to rent canoes and gear. I swear I was waiting for banjos to start playing. Peoples houses looked like third world shit. No education or teeth. That was years ago, I doubt much has changed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]
oh heck yes, anyone see that HBO documentary about those ppl living in what i think was Hazard county KY?  All of them were related in some form or other, and they were like 30 miles from "town" Iv`e personally seen some places just about like that scattered through mississippi as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Before I got married one thing I would do besides go shooting was drive. I would leave early in the morning and not come back till I wanted to. Sometimes I would be gone for 2 days or so. Anyway, this one time I was in South East Tennessee and was going down this little country road. Up on a hill to the left of me was an old trailer and a sign out in the front yard. The sign read "BISKITS n GRAVE" I slowed down and backed up because I didn't understand what I just read. I had to set there for a minute before I relized they HAD NO IDEA HOW TO SPELL "BISQUITS AND GRAVY"! Honestly that bothered me some. I made sure my 1911 was in easy reach and kept motoring along. I've got other stories about folks out in the boonies, but I'm a little tired to go through them. Good NYTE
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#17]
sure, they still have six teeth, and four of them are still in thier pockets
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, and in Mississippi too.

Don't f*ck with them if you value your health.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]
And this year they're all voting absentee and Democrat.....go figure.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#20]
You better believe there are some real hill folk here. There are places that don't have running water and little electricity. There are places along the Tn/Ky line that you don't want to go unless you are kin.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#21]

As the great grandson of a "hillbillie" I can tell you that those folks have forgot more about living off the land than the refined city dwellers will ever know. You can make fun of their appearance, mannerisms and way of life but they are the most honest unpretentious people you will ever meet.
I don't understand how someone living in a big ol' shithole, like New York or Detroit, could poke fun of anybody.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So in other words, they're the modernized Jeff Foxworthy type hillbillies and not the kind that brew their own whiskey in a still?

Most of 'em are cooking meth now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
As the great grandson of a "hillbillie" I can tell you that those folks have forgot more about living off the land than the refined city dwellers will ever know. You can make fun of their appearance, mannerisms and way of life but they are the most honest unpretentious people you will ever meet.
I don't understand how someone living in a big ol' shithole, like New York or Detroit, could poke fun of anybody.

It's just like anywhere else; you get yer good and you get yer bad. Human nature dictates that you remember the bad more than the good. I've passed up a lot of opportunities to stay in West Virginia. It's home.

My greatest nightmare is that West Virginia will be "discovered" by the urban elites. I understand that it's that way in Oregon.

The resulting political dynamic would be interesting, though. West Virginia is a heavily Democratic state, but our Democrats would be Republican anywhere else. The local Ds are mostly anti-abortion and pro-gun, but they like their government handouts. That's what keeps 'em in the party. I'd love to see what happened if you got a big influx of urban liberals who tried to hijack the party.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Before I got married one thing I would do besides go shooting was drive. I would leave early in the morning and not come back till I wanted to. Sometimes I would be gone for 2 days or so. Anyway, this one time I was in South East Tennessee and was going down this little country road. Up on a hill to the left of me was an old trailer and a sign out in the front yard. The sign read "BISKITS n GRAVE" I slowed down and backed up because I didn't understand what I just read. I had to set there for a minute before I relized they HAD NO IDEA HOW TO SPELL "BISQUITS AND GRAVY"! Honestly that bothered me some. I made sure my 1911 was in easy reach and kept motoring along. I've got other stories about folks out in the boonies, but I'm a little tired to go through them. Good NYTE

You should have stopped.  I'll bet that was some of the best "biskits n grave" in the world.

Damn, now I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We were wondering if there are still places down south where mountain people live like they used to.

Absolutely.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Still gottem here in MO
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know what they use to whipe their poopers with after taking a shit in the outhouse?

Try corn cobs!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Ask my wife.

She says I am.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Absolutley..f'in..tivley!

My parents retired to Appalachia several years ago.  I can unequivocally attest that there are Hillbillies still there.

The Bastages killed a spotted doe in their driveway last year and plooped is in the bed of their rusty pickup and drove away.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread reminds me of that movie "Southern Comfort"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#31]
No, we all moved up here where the gene pool isn't so vast.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Nope. They all packed up and moved here

You know, black gold, Texas tea....

CW
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#33]
yeah come down to the coalfields here in southern wv , especially in mcdowell county and you would think it's a 3rd world country, for real. But every state has it's share of trailors.
And about 10 years ago, last time I read anything about it, there was still a real mountain man in the eastern mountains of wv, the last of the "real" mountain men, he looked like bearclaw from jeremiah johnson.

jesco white from boone county says hi

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#34]
When you say "Hillbilly", are you referring to the type of people where the conversation might start something like this...?

"Gee, Uncle Daddy, that feels  real   good!"  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#35]
UUMMMM Yeah.  Look up the Blue Fugates sometime.  If you find out anything more than basic, who, when, where...I want you to IM me.  
They say the only difference in here and LA is in LA they kill ya, here they keep ya in a box under the bed Sleep tight, y'all.

ETA: Tell Jesco White I said, "HIII"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Still gottem here in MO

Really? Where?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
yeah come down to the coalfields here in southern wv , especially in mcdowell county and you would think it's a 3rd world country, for real. But every state has it's share of trailors.
And about 10 years ago, last time I read anything about it, there was still a real mountain man in the eastern mountains of wv, the last of the "real" mountain men, he looked like bearclaw from jeremiah johnson.

troyharvey.com/img/jesco.jpg

Having "grow'd" up near the WV panhandle and having spent quite a bit of time in "MACdowell" and Kanawa counties (as well as in Ohio across the river from Huntington) I can unequivocally say YES, hillbillies exist and thrive in them hollers.  

The Mountain State.  I miss it at times.  Thems my kin.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still gottem here in MO

Really? Where?

From personal experience:  Polk, Stone, Hickory, Cedar, St. Clair counties.  The counties between Springfield and Arkansas still have plenty of 'em, but city folks are starting to stake their claims aroudn there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Hey I'm from McDowell county used to be a Deputy in that county We Call it the FREE STATE of McDowell. When I went thru the State Police academy they would all call me the free state of Mcdowell. Miss it a lot very pro law enforcement. I agree with the previous post that I'm afraid someone will find that place and ruin it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Anyone know what they use to whipe their poopers with after taking a shit in the outhouse?

Try corn cobs!

Actually there's red cobs and white cobs, white cobs are scarce so ya wipe with a red cob first, THEN a white cob (so you can tell if ya need to use another red cob).  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:32:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

troyharvey.com/img/jesco.jpg

JESSCO!

I'm working in "LA" (Logan Area) not to far from "Man"  My secretary has some wild stories of this place! Lots of drug heads and beat up cars. No point in having a nice vehicle with all the coal trucks. Got cornered by this absolutely crazy fucked up hillbilly at a hardware store. He was very grossly dirty and ended up telling me about screwing some young girl (13?)he'd raised since she was a kid. really creeped me out! The Hatfield-McCoy ATV trail system is awesome! (Around 400 miles of trails to ride!)

Also worked in "PIKE Co. KY" one time! same story only it was a dry county! (NO BEER )

I will add though, WEST-BY-GOD-VIRGINIA is a great state to live in and i'm proud to live here, just don't want to live down where KY has infected it! (just kidding) We're are all progun and have plenty of places to shoot and hunt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:52:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Go to a Wal-Mart at 2 am anywhere in the rural south and find out.

I know of a whole culture that still goes to the store only for cigs, booze, flour, sugar, and ammo.  They make their money in shine, meth and truck stop whoring.

Edited:  they usually are wearing hats with the number 3 on them.  No disrespect intended, it just tells you what their values are.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:57:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Go to a Wal-Mart at 2 am anywhere in the rural south and find out.

I know of a whole culture that still goes to the store only for cigs, booze, flour, sugar, and ammo.  They make their money in shine, meth and truck stop whoring.

Edited:  they usually are wearing hats with the number 3 on them.  No disrespect intended, it just tells you what their values are.

You go to the same Walmart as me?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Its not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:04:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes they still exist up north in Poco County, but the uppity ones in Greenbriar County are all citified with their fancy ass Wal-Marts and such.

But....I thought I had seen a lot in my life as far as country folk, hell my country family, until I came to Seattle and went out in the country. An hour or so away from the city of Seattle is a place that is pure deliverance. You drive in and hear the banjoes.

The family tree is a circle. Their fingers look like a zig zag Z with about 10 joints. Their faces come down to a snout (think Rover) with two little beady ass eyes right off the bridge of their noses.

Beautiful country, the most backasswards folk you will ever find.

Cousin-Sister-Daughter-Mother, hell one person can have a full ass family reunion.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:10:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, there are still hillbillies. But don't get your hillbilly education from the television. While these various media sources head into the "hollers" to interview the poor, backwards, dumb, barefoot inbreds who live in a run down trailer or cabin, they never show you the house across the road from them that costs $200,000, is lived in by people who earn $75,000 per year each, have $30,000 SUV's parked in the driveway and live and act just like people anywhere else do. They show you the minority, not the majority.

I remember Rory Kennedy (just like a fucking Kennedy too) came into E KY  a few years ago and did a documentary about a particular family who lived in Saul, a small town (just a community, not really even a town) in Perry County, that were very hillbillish. This was probably by far the most hillbilly family they could track down in the entire area and so that's what they showed. I have been through Perry County many times and I can tell you that while there are hillbillies there, the people like they showed on that documentary are the exception rather than the rule.

I live a bit west of these areas, but I'm "deep enough in country" to have a pretty good feel for it. I guess I am part hillbilly myself. I've tried to keep the good parts of being a hillbilly (self-reliance)while being considerably more refined. But with each generation, it seems the hillbilly culture becomes a bit more watered down. That bothers me a little, because I hate to see much of the culture die. Getting rid of inbreds and toothless people is good, but I hope most of the people growing up in these rural areas maintain the good parts of their culture. Though people make fun of country people, in a serious situation, I'd much rather rely on a country boy than a city slicker to watch my back. These folks know what tough times are, what hard work is like and they are tough people, mentally and physically.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Is a redneck same thing  as a hillbilly ???
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:29:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Yes, there are still hillbillies. But don't get your hillbilly education from the television. While these various media sources head into the "hollers" to interview the poor, backwards, dumb, barefoot inbreds who live in a run down trailer or cabin, they never show you the house across the road from them that costs $200,000, is lived in by people who earn $75,000 per year each, have $30,000 SUV's parked in the driveway and live and act just like people anywhere else do. They show you the minority, not the majority.

I remember Rory Kennedy (just like a fucking Kennedy too) came into E KY  a few years ago and did a documentary about a particular family who lived in Saul, a small town (just a community, not really even a town) in Perry County, that were very hillbillish. This was probably by far the most hillbilly family they could track down in the entire area and so that's what they showed. I have been through Perry County many times and I can tell you that while there are hillbillies there, the people like they showed on that documentary are the exception rather than the rule.

I live a bit west of these areas, but I'm "deep enough in country" to have a pretty good feel for it. I guess I am part hillbilly myself. I've tried to keep the good parts of being a hillbilly (self-reliance)while being considerably more refined. But with each generation, it seems the hillbilly culture becomes a bit more watered down. That bothers me a little, because I hate to see much of the culture die. Getting rid of inbreds and toothless people is good, but I hope most of the people growing up in these rural areas maintain the good parts of their culture. Though people make fun of country people, in a serious situation, I'd much rather rely on a country boy than a city slicker to watch my back. These folks know what tough times are, what hard work is like and they are tough people, mentally and physically.

Well said!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:35:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:36:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I live in East Tennessee, and have hiked the Appalachain trail alot, and i have family that lives in some pretty remote areas. So i have seen some pretty funny stuff, but nothing that bad.

Do you go armed on the trail?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top