Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 5:21:50 PM EDT
I just bought a new Dell 1700N laser printer.  I got it hooked up to the network.  It has a proper IP address, subnet mask and default gateway for my network.  I can ping it from the various computers, but I can't print a test page from it.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I can also access the printer over the internet by typing in the ip address.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
How have you intstalled the driver?  Make sure that it is installed on a tcp/ip port not a local port.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Driver is installed on both computers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How have you intstalled the driver?  Make sure that it is installed on a tcp/ip port not a local port.

Which port did you install it on? It needs to be associated with the tcp/ip port.

Just repeating...

How did you add the printer to the PC?

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The book had me run the driver disk on both computers, which automatically installed the printer.  I had to change the port setting to reflect the new IP address.  There was a port name, but I didn't know if it needed to be changed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone else have a suggestion?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The book had me run the driver disk on both computers, which automatically installed the printer.  I had to change the port setting to reflect the new IP address.  There was a port name, but I didn't know if it needed to be changed.

Sorry, got a little busy...Assumeing you are using WinXP, I would delete the port that was created by the install and make a new one, be sure to pick "local printer attached to this computer" and uncheck Auto detect...select "Create a new port" and choose "Standard TCP/IP port...then type in the IP address of the printer on the first line, the second line will auto fill...

This should work.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top