Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 11:49:02 AM EDT
My wife just had some surgery yesterday... and in the waiting room I flipped through a "Cosmopolitan" (the wife actually handed it to me because of the woman on the cover ).  

So, there is an article in there about women having sex with women.  They claim it is becoming more widespread, in fact a poll of their own readers found that 60% of them have kissed other women, something like 20% have had "sex" with another woman.

What is the cause? They claim that more openness about lesbians on TV and in magazines have caused women to open up and "experiment" with being lesbians or bisexuals.  This is a wonderfull thing according to them as women are now free in this day and age to experience their sexuality to the fullest by getting with other women.

Now, answer me this.  If you are hardwired to be attracted to the other sex and "can't help it" why the hell would watching fags on TV make you think one way or the other?  Why do gays emphatically declare they were born that way while simultaneously trying to convert people under the guise that everybody would have fun being gay, they just need to loosen up a bit?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If being gay was the normal thing they would be able to have children by having sex with each other.  Having children is the point of sex.  - God

eta - I don't know if God said this or not, but I have to think the thought has crossed His mind.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I think some are "hard-wired" as you call it.  But I believe (from study analysis in my Sociology class) that many people "experiment" with it out of curiosity and find that it's not for them.

So, you have experimenters and the so called "hard-wired."

I think the actual numbers are quite lower than what was reported.

It's been several years since I took Sociology so I don't recall the specifics but I seem to remember that nearly all who've experimented returned to heterosexuality.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If being gay was the normal thing they would be able to have children by having sex with each other.  Having children is the point of sex.  - God

That's how dinosaurs became extinct  they all turned gay.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#4]
No gayness is caused by flipping through Cosmo casually.

For proof of this one need look no farther than the fact that the incidence of gayness only started increasing in this country right at the same time Cosmo grew in popularity.

Let me guess, you like good coffee don't you?  Gay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
NOT.

Every homo that has called into the Nightline radio show was molested at a young age.

Think it's a coincidence?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
It seems to be a combination of various genetic predispositions (probably not ONE gene, but several interacting), and early pre- and post-natal environments.  I seem to recall some studies showing how stress and certain hormone levels spiking during pregnancy affected sexual behavior and development in lab animals.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet we could get a real answer if we could just study why people are gay just like we do depression or anything else. But that just isn't a PC enough idea to be popular these days. Hell, we might even be able to figure out a way to "treat" people and allow them to be normal. Hell, normal isn't a bad thing but to listen to the left, you'd think it was. And for those who say being gay is normal, you'll have to show me proof of a gay couple conceiving and giving birth to a child on their own. Only then will I believe gay is normal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Strictly on a Genetic basis, Homosexuality cannot be passed on through genes.

The gene/genes, or mutation of a gene/genes would be lost continually because it results in a non reproductive condition.

Think of it this way, if the gene/genes for being redheaded resulted in sterility, How long to you think redheads would last.

Edit: the problem with this (told to me by a genetisist) is that often a lot of gay people are bi or live a straight life for a while so there is a slight chance of a genetic cause. Hmm
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The gene/genes, or mutation of a gene/genes would be lost continually because it results in a non reproductive condition.

Think of it this way, if the gene/genes for being redheaded resulted in sterility, How long to you think redheads would last.

You mean sterility is not genetic?  

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Not
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean sterility is not genetic?  

Genetic mutations that cause sterility would not pass the gene along, so no, I guess .

I listened to a very smart man lecture on this (genetics professor at Oxford) he explained a lot better than me. I'm getting a headache now thinking about it .
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If being gay was the normal thing they would be able to have children by having sex with each other.  

there are many things that are passed down genetically such as Alzheimers, yet its not considered "normal"

I believe it's hardcoded.   Why would anyone want to be outcast by their family and society? And more importantly why would any guy want a dick in his ass?  There's no way it's "choice"

As far as sex being normal because its between a man and a woman for making babies.  Would experimenting in different positions and oral sex be considered queer then?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Not in mine
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Edit: the problem with this (told to me by a genetisist) is that often a lot of gay people are bi or live a straight life for a while so there is a slight chance of a genetic cause. Hmm

Similarly, in identical twins there are plenty of recorded cases of one twin being gay while another is straight.  If it were purely genetic, wouldn't that be close to impossible?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

there are many things that are passed down genetically such as Alzheimers, yet its not considered "normal"

Yes, but we try to treat Alzheimers disease as a problem.

I believe it's hardcoded.

It' can't be hardcoded, It could be passive genes, or physical stimulus that causes a mental disorder.

Why would anyone want to be outcast by their family and society?

Most of us don't understand but there are certain people that like to be outcasts.

And more importantly why would any guy want a dick in his ass?  There's no way it's "choice"

I really don't know, but I'm sure people don't just wake up one day and make the choice to have sex with an animal or a dead person. It could be a combination of many small choices or it could be a chemical imbalance in the brain, cause by environmental, genetic, or social factors or a combination of all.

As far as sex being normal because its between a man and a woman for making babies.  Would experimenting in different positions and oral sex be considered queer then?

It has been proven that heterosexual sex that leads to male an female orgasm retains more sperm and would help insure pregnancy, any foreplay or sex act that would lead to this situation would increase the likelyhood of making babies.

I really don't understand why society has chosen to imbrace homosexuality as normal.  We should embrace it as any other abnormal behavior that might be the result of hormone imbalance, genetics etc. We should not be shunning or critizing these people. We should be seeking treatment for this behavior (whether it's a sin or a mental disorder).
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hello?  We've had a thread on this subject going for over a week...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=282804

-Troy

No, We are talking about the genetics of Homosexuality not if they are born gay

Completely different
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Its as normal as orgies and bestiality.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

*phew*
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It seems to be a combination of various genetic predispositions (probably not ONE gene, but several interacting), and early pre- and post-natal environments.  I seem to recall some studies showing how stress and certain hormone levels spiking during pregnancy affected sexual behavior and development in lab animals.

That was my understanding as well.  I seem to recall the same studies.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Send this guy an e-mail and ask him.

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-10-21-bishop_x.htm
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh...the fag bone's connected to the..headbone, the headbone connected to the...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
You asked "So is homosexuality hardcoded in genes or not?"

I've no personal experience here, but I'd have to suspect that it's hardcoded in your butt, not your genes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yup...social mores don't necessarily line up with biological drives...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If being gay was the normal thing they would be able to have children by having sex with each other.  

I believe it's hardcoded.   Why would anyone want to be outcast by their family and society? And more importantly why would any guy want a dick in his ass?  There's no way it's "choice"

Why would anyone want to kill people and eat them?
Why would anyone want to have sex with little children?
Why would anyone want to steal your car
Why would anyone want to carve the skin out of their arm (if you saw the link posted here recently you'll know what I'm talking about)
Why would anyone vote Democrat?

The only reason I can think of is mental disease.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
At the risk of sounding flippant, who cares?

If it is genetic, then it is a defect. If it is by choice then it's a choice.

Either way, it's damned disgusting!
Well, except for two babes. Yes, I'm both a corrupt sinner AND a chauvenist pig!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, there is a gene for homosexuality, that is responsible for its continued survival in the West in spite of religious persecution.

It is clearly not needed for homosexuality as we have clear cut historical cases of cultural homosexuality.

But it does exsist, it seems to be carried on the X cromosome and in WOMEN, where there are a matched pair of these genes, it is linked to abnormally high fertility and sex drive- which is why it continues to exist.
www.betterhumans.com/News/news.aspx?articleID=2004-10-13-4

In males where there is only one copy of the gene, it seems to lead to a increased likelyhood of homosexuality.  This also suggests that there are completely different reasons for male and female homosexuality.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll buy that there may be early events during psychological development that could cause an individual to be inclined to homosexuality.  However, a genetic link--no.

Although some homosexuals may reproduce due to societal pressures or whatever reason, over time this gene would be selected against.  I have yet to see a convincing peer reviewed paper that made a genetic link to homosexuality.

Note I said "Convincing".
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My wife just had some surgery yesterday... and in the waiting room I flipped through a "Cosmopolitan" (the wife actually handed it to me because of the woman on the cover ).  

So, there is an article in there about women having sex with women.  They claim it is becoming more widespread, in fact a poll of their own readers found that 60% of them have kissed other women, something like 20% have had "sex" with another woman.

What is the cause? They claim that more openness about lesbians on TV and in magazines have caused women to open up and "experiment" with being lesbians or bisexuals.  This is a wonderfull thing according to them as women are now free in this day and age to experience their sexuality to the fullest by getting with other women.

Now, answer me this.  If you are hardwired to be attracted to the other sex and "can't help it" why the hell would watching fags on TV make you think one way or the other?  Why do gays emphatically declare they were born that way while simultaneously trying to convert people under the guise that everybody would have fun being gay, they just need to loosen up a bit?

My "take" on this is that everyone thins if THEY are having fun that this means EVERYONE will have fun doing it too. IMO, this is why "couples" want to find a "match" for all of their single friends, they want them to be happy, and since coupling made THEM so happy...

Quoted:
Yes, there is a gene for homosexuality, that is responsible for its continued survival in the West in spite of religious persecution.

It is clearly not needed for homosexuality as we have clear cut historical cases of cultural homosexuality.

But it does exsist, it seems to be carried on the X cromosome and in WOMEN, where there are a matched pair of these genes, it is linked to abnormally high fertility and sex drive- which is why it continues to exist.
www.betterhumans.com/News/news.aspx?articleID=2004-10-13-4

In males where there is only one copy of the gene, it seems to lead to a increased likelyhood of homosexuality.  This also suggests that there are completely different reasons for male and female homosexuality.

Don't confuse them with the facts! ;)
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:00:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ask Anne Heche

Do NOT equate that soul-sucking bitch w/lesbians. She wasn't even bi - she was/is just that "not particular" .... gold digging also comes to mind ;)

On a good note I DO think she may have positively influenced Ellen w/the whole "comming out" thing... so she's not ALL bad... just mostly.... and talk about "bow-wow..."
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ask Anne Heche

Do NOT equate that soul-sucking bitch w/lesbians. She wasn't even bi - she was/is just that "not particular" .... gold digging also comes to mind ;)

On a good note I DO think she may have positively influenced Ellen w/the whole "comming out" thing... so she's not ALL bad... just mostly.... and talk about "bow-wow..."

Sheeee-iit!  Anne Heche is hot!  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ask Anne Heche

Sheeee-iit!  Anne Heche is hot!  

Hot as an ice cube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top