Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 9:39:44 AM EDT
I remember seeing one once where you put in what you were making in one area and it told you what you'd need to make in another.  Anybody have a link to something similar?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
probably not the one you're talking about, but try findyourspot.com.

ETA:  Just went to that site and it's changed quite a bit (since I was there last year) - they did have a COL calculator - but where it is now, who knows.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#2]
www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

From this one it looks like I'd need to make $20k/year more to move from Ft. Lauderdale to Faifax VA.  Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I've used the homefair one over several years and several moves. I found it to be pretty accurate. Especially in regards to home prices, rents and taxes.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
True, but if you can deal with the commute (assuming that you would be working in Fairfax/Arlington/D.C.), you could afford to live in Stafford or Prince William counties or The City of Fredericksburg.
We moved from Fairfax county and it has saved us alot of money.  Daycare costs are half of what we used to pay.  Gas is about .20 cents a gallon cheaper.  Housing is cheaper too...but it is on the rise.
There are more companies relocating to the Fredericksburg area these days too.  
My wife works in Falls Church and was looking for a job closer to home (Fredericksburg) and thought that she would have to take a cut in pay.  She ended up finding a company in south Stafford county that not only hired her (the guy wrote her offer letter during her interview!), but is paying her more.  This is for an accounting job (she has an AA degree) but there are alot of IT jobs in the area too...but alot of them require a clearance of some sort.

Quoted:
www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

From this one it looks like I'd need to make $20k/year more to move from Ft. Lauderdale to Faifax VA.  Jesus Christ.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in construction.  I'm not very interested in getting into a long commute or dealing with trains etc.  We tend to work long enough hours without having to deal with spending an hour each way on a train every day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top