Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 8:30:41 AM EDT
I visited the Scottsdale Gun Club yesterday. When I first walked in the door I wanted to join, but after using the facilities, I changed my mind.

Before I list my gripes, I will say that this is easily a multi-million dollar indoor range.

1. NO DIRECTIONS on how to use digital the target track ( I have a degree in computers and it still took me 15 minutes to figure out how to use them)

2. There are NO RANGEMASTERS, For as many lanes as they have (at least 25) there is no one enforcing safety. Looking at some of the shooters habits, it is needed. Many loaded guns laying around, some on the floor (see below). Some of the shooters were obviously now familiar with gun safety.

3. There are NO TABLES to SAFELY case and uncase you rifles. I mean NONE. I had to put my case on the floor or try and balance the case on the little shooting table. When I asked why no tables, I was told that they had been asking the owner for some and he would not get any.

4. There is NO WHERE (rifle racks) to put a rifle after shooting it. Many of them were balanced along at the back of the shooting lanes on misc furniture. VERY UNSAFE since many of them looked to be loaded and could fall down at any minute and blow your ankle off.

Over all I think it is unfortunate since it is a VERY nice facility that this is being managed poorly. Especially from a safety standpoint.

Maxwell Hodgkins (Nattylite)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#1]
good thing i know about scotts dale gun club.

In AZ, i presume?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes Arizona
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#3]
seems to be a post better suited for our "Hometown" forum.
--RR
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
seems to be a post better suited for our "Hometown" forum.
--RR

True, but I wanted to vent and not very many people visit Hometown
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds just like Caswells and Shooters World.

I agree that there should be a rangemaster inside at all times but they probably don't have too many vollunteers wanting lead poisoning. Shooters World had employess that tested more than 100 times over the safe lead limits. They originally intended the range to be for lead free ammo only but changed their mind when local LEO complained that they wanted to use their duty ammo.

I strictly limit the amount of indoor shooting that I do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Good point, but the range appeared tro have more than proper ventelation.  This place was deluxe
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Not from AZ, but...

I remember a couple of years ago one of the staff/board members posted here to announce that they were selling off a bunch of their NFA stuff. The collection was pretty impresive.

It looks to be a state-of-the-art shooting facility. I get the impression that it's the sort of place that has profit first in mind rather than catering to it's memebers needs (a $10,000 "Titanium" memebership?)

Some of the rental stuff loks like it could be fun.

www.scottsdalegunclub.com/mgas/mgarentals.php

(How many FN-P90's or Glock 18's are in this country?)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Write them a letter.  Make sure it is clearly CC'd to OSHA.  That will get their attention.  Send it to OSHA too.  It is definately a hazard for anyone that works there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I emailed them a link to this tread.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not inhaled lead that is the problem, it's the lead that is covering everything. Be very careful not to touch your face, eyes or mouth after shooting indoors or any shooting. Shower ASAP after shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top