Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2004 8:03:13 AM EDT
My wife and I are looking to move and are trying to knock states off our list.  Does anyone know what states have AW bans or registration laws on the books?

Thanks

Mark
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
MI has no AWB (yet), but we do have bullshit pistol registration that they like to refer to as a "Safety inspection". If you value your freedoms, do not come here. I fear the laws for MI will only get worse. The only good thing is the CCW permit allows us to carry is quite a few other states, but you have to wait 4 months and get a rectal exam in order to get a permit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I do, I do!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Your best choices are Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Vermont, and Alaska.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you need to ask?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#5]
MI has no AWB (yet), but we do have bullshit pistol registration that they like to refer to as a "Safety inspection". If you value your freedoms, do not come here. I fear the laws for MI will only get worse. The only good thing is the CCW permit allows us to carry is quite a few other states, but you have to wait 4 months and get a rectal exam in order to get a permit.

Michigan may not be the best, but here cities cannot pass more restrictive gun contol.  The range protection act is nice too.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#6]
NJ has our own AWB and our Govenor is gay, he also cheated on his wife with a other man.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Wisconsin has handgun registration.  Long guns dont need to be registered or background checked....

No AWB.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Michigan may not be the best, but here cities cannot pass more restrictive gun contol.  The range protection act is nice too.

Then again, the state of Michigan is trying to pass the most restrictive AWB in the Union. Not only would you have to register your "assault weapons" EVERY YEAR, you would also be forced to comply with storage regulations drafted by the State Police, and submit to storage inspections by the state police once per year to ensure compliance!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Then again, the state of Michigan is trying to pass the most restrictive AWB in the Union. Not only would you have to register your "assault weapons" EVERY YEAR, you would also be forced to comply with storage regulations drafted by the State Police, and submit to storage inspections by the state police once per year to ensure compliance!

Detroit Deomocraps are behind that one.  Going noplace fast.  Still, get out and vote!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, New Jersey, Maryland, New York, and Massachussetts IIRC have AW laws or some sort.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe Louisiana doesn't have an AW ban or any type of registration. I've never registered anything and I just bought an AR (pre-ban of course). We also are a CC state if that is your thing and I don't believe it takes much (a one day course, fingerprints, photos, $125.00) to get the permit. Sometimes I wonder if this is enough training for some people. Just about everyone in LA owns a gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Here, the Kaliban have both an AWB, and handgun registration.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Stay the hell out of CA. That is all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#14]
California, Hawaii, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Massachussets, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Rhode Island, and Ohio (weird city rules and something about guns holding more than 30 rounds) all have AWB's.

Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, and Kansas forbid CCW.

California, Hawaii, Minnesota, New Jersey, Maryland, New York, Rhode Island, and Massachussets all have may issue ccw.

NFA...  Umm, google up "James Bardwell and NFA FAQ."  You can add lots of other states with stupid NFA laws.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the replies.  Below are the states I have left on my list.

NV, AZ, UT, WY, CO, NM, TX, KY, TN, NH, CT, PA, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA & FL

Not all states were eliminated because of gun laws, but the remaining state all seem very good (NFA, CCW...).

Now I just need to find a job in an area we like in one of the remaining states.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Virginia has "Assault Weapon" laws, but none you'd notice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Virginia has "Assault Weapon" laws, but none you'd notice.

we do
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#19]
NY has been off the list...it was one of the 1st to go (behind CA & NJ).

ANGST - what's with the laws in VA???  Didn't know there was any kind of AW restrictions.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Maryland banned the importation of "assault pistols" - tec-9's and some other stuff. You can get semi auto rifles though - CETME, SAR-1, AR15, but many(not all) are registered. Handguns are registered. +20 round mags cannot be imported. But the law is so vague that you can buy them in other states and bring them in, you just can't transfer them to someone else. Makers of handguns submit 2 fired cartridges to a ballistic identification database.

Anyway, stay out of MD.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Texas will be just like California in 20 years due to massive Mexican immigration and cooption as a voting block by the Democrats.   Move to Mars.  No laws whatsoever there...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Stay the hell out of CA. That is all.

+8 million
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#23]
But hey, the weather is nice and we have abundant avocados.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

[california apologist]  I will not leave CA because I refuse to wear anything other than shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops.  [/california apologist]

It's not just gun laws....I can't get pre-ban gas cans nor can I do shit to my vehicles.  On top of this, you can't ride in the back of a pickup legally, and they are starting to "drop the hammer" on 2-strokes.

What state has emission equipment on weed-whackers?  CA does!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ANGST - what's with the laws in VA???  Didn't know there was any kind of AW restrictions.

Damn searchable Code of VA is down... lets see if I remember exactly. The definition of an "Assault Weapon" is a firearm equipped at the time with a magazine greater then 20 rounds.

I belive you cannot carry an assault weapon in a city with a population of greater then 160,000

but I'd have to look it all up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[california apologist]  I will not leave CA because I refuse to wear anything other than shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops.  [/california apologist]

It's not just gun laws....I can't get pre-ban gas cans nor can I do shit to my vehicles.  On top of this, you can't ride in the back of a pickup legally, and they are starting to "drop the hammer" on 2-strokes.

wow... cant ride in the back of a pickup?  i bet that gets enforced alot...lol.

uh... whats a 2 stroke?

and what can't you do to your car?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow... cant ride in the back of a pickup?  i bet that gets enforced alot...lol.

uh... whats a 2 stroke?

and what can't you do to your car?

Actually they do enforce the riding in a pickup bed thing.  Probably hard to understand comming from Texas.  I got chewed out for riding to the top of a boatramp in the back of a truck.  Don't even think that they'll look the other way for ANY law.  They are protecting you from yourself.

2-stroke?  Dirt Bike, chain saw, wheed-whacker engines.  Specifically, they stopped licensing 2-stroke OHVs for summertime use in the mountains.    Cause everyone knows the mountains are packed with smog and dirt bikes, and also that you can ride in the wintertime in the mountains .  Also the weed-whackers sold here have some sort of restrictor plate under the carb I believe.  All the pro landscaping guys go up to Nevada to buy weed-whackers.

What can't I do to my car?  Well for starters, if I want to restore an older truck and put a custom engine in it.  No can do.  Doesn't matter that if runs CLEANER than the factory engine, it has to be the same as it left the factory.  Basically trucks of this era are just guttless POSs as all the "emmissions" gear really does is restrict the air/fuel intake.  So basically you can't soup up your car.

Here's another one.  I like diesels and was thinking about getting an 80's truck that was originally gas and putting a diesel in it (because the diesels were VERY rare in those years).  Nope, forget about that too.  

If you add on the fact that a fishing license is $35 and rising (for some pretty shitty fishing and game management), CA has pretty much squashed every aspect of my life.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#28]
wow...and thats all statewide restrictions?  Jeez.

so why do you still live there?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Not all states were eliminated because of gun laws, but the remaining state all seem very good (NFA, CCW...).

Now I just need to find a job in an area we like in one of the remaining states.

CT has some goofy assault weapons laws and bans selective fire weapons.  (Full auto only is okay though.)

NC has a requirement for pistol permits and has weird NFA restrictions.

VA has some relatively laz assault weapons laws and bans drum-fed shotguns.  They also have one-gun-a-month laws.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Kentucky:

No registration of any kind
CCW $65 for 5 years
Open Carry for free
Class III friendly
State Preemption
Consistantly recieves an F on the report card for gun haters
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Michigan.  Upon moving there you will have to register any firearm you under with an OAL under 30" as a "handgun" with the local PD, in triplicate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Your best choices are Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Vermont, and Alaska.

Nevada has local gun/gun owner registration in Clark County.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#33]
The south is generally good.

NC does have pistol permits.

SC, GA, KY don't.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CT has some goofy assault weapons laws and bans selective fire weapons.  (Full auto only is okay though.)

NC has a requirement for pistol permits and has weird NFA restrictions.

VA has some relatively laz assault weapons laws and bans drum-fed shotguns.  They also have one-gun-a-month laws.

Mike

I hate the one-gun a month thing, it's hard to keep up buying a gun every month sometimes.

Actually it's one HANDGUN per month, and as of July 1, if you have a CCW it does not apply.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

FLORIDA

NFA, NO state income tax, and CCW recognized by many other states...and only an ocassional hurricane or two to worry about
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#36]
stay away from CT abunch of liberal commies.

bbr

i want to move so i can get a colt le0 6920
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Shortened list down a little further.

Leaning towards: NV, UT, CO, WY, PA (away from Philly & Pittsburg), WV, KY, TN, SC, GA

Still on list, but may drop because of Mexico: AZ, NM, TX

Next criteria for cuts are employment, activities, & climate
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Ct basicly has the old fed AWB but there are no limations on magazines.We can not have any gun which has "ar15 or Colt Sporter" stamped on the side.
Our political outlook is mighty grim with many powerfull anti gun folks setting themselves for higher and more powerfull office.Very scary future
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Nebraska is not such a bad state when it come to gun laws, and there are tons of good spots for hunting throughout the state.

NE forbids CCW, but you can open carry. Two Counties: Douglas, and I forget the other one require a permit for this. I know people who have the permit.

No BS assault weapon laws, and full auto is legal. NE is a very progun state, and bears the distinction of being the last state that Bill Clinton visited.

You do have to get a permit to buy a handgun here. This is not a such a bad deal. You go down to the sherrif's office, hand over five bucks, fill out the paperwork and two days later come back and get your permit if your background check turns out OK. The good thing about this is you will be able to buy a gun without the dealer charging you a NICS check fee. You simply show your handgun card. The card is good for three years. You do not have to renew the card in order to keep your handguns from what I understand.

Whatever you do, stay out of the Omaha city limits, as the city of Omaha has a handgun registration ordinance.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I pretty much axed the states with any gun restrictions (NFA, supressors, SBR, DD's), registration, or restrictive CCW.

If anyone has comments on the remaining states please speak up.

NV, UT, CO, WY, PA ,WV, KY, TN, SC, GA, AZ, NM, TX

Thanks again for all the replies.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#41]
WA has a waiting period on handguns, and if you buy one from an FFL your info goes to the state. Its a seperate form.

No restrictions on AWs, but SBRs, SBSs, and MGs are prohibited, and suppressors may be owned and posessed but not fired in the state.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
suppressors may be owned and posessed but not fired in the state.

That kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it. That makes for an expensive paper weight.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
suppressors may be owned and posessed but not fired in the state.

That kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it. That makes for an expensive paper weight.

Lots of guys do it. Oregon or Idaho isn't far.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
California, Hawaii, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Massachussets, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Rhode Island, and Ohio (weird city rules and something about guns holding more than 30 rounds) all have AWB's.

Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, and Kansas forbid CCW.

California, Hawaii, Minnesota, New Jersey, Maryland, New York, Rhode Island, and Massachussets all have may issue ccw.

NFA...  Umm, google up "James Bardwell and NFA FAQ."  You can add lots of other states with stupid NFA laws.

Mike

EEEEENNNNNTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RHODE ISLAND DOES NOT HAVE AN AW BAN!!!!!!!

it's not the best state around, but let's be honest, shall we?
No registration.
Tough to get CCW
7 day wait for everything
Need to have a "Blue Card' (which shows you passed a basic handgun knowledge test) to buy pistols.

But no AW ban, mag restrictions or other bullshit (yet?)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I pretty much axed the states with any gun restrictions (NFA, supressors, SBR, DD's), registration, or restrictive CCW.

NV, UT, CO, WY, PA...

as has been already stated.  some counties in Nevada have their own registration requirements.

In PA you cannot hunt with a semi auto, the state police have maintained an illegal gun registry for over 70 years, and you may not load more than 3 rounds into a rifle at a state game range.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

NV, UT, CO, WY, PA ,WV, KY, TN, SC, GA, AZ, NM, TX

Thanks again for all the replies.

I've lived in the marked states. All have pros/cons (what doesn't). All three are worth relocating to. The best thing is to visit each and "see how they feel"...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Pennsylvania is basically a very good "gun state", BUT we DO have a few of our own quirky gun laws.
The good news is that the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is very up front about protecting the right of the citizenry to own firearms.
Here's some of the weird stuff:  three round maximum ammunition load while shooting in state owned firing ranges in game lands (this is a REAL pain and means that you pretty much must join a private shooting club if you are anything other than just a semi-annual hunter, hobbyist).
De facto handgun registration.  The State Police maintain a record of all handgun sales.  
Other than those two things, there's nothing in the gun laws that particularly gets under my skin, but some people (hunters) mind the ban on semiauto rifles for hunting (I don't hunt).
And there ARE some real good things like, no waiting periods, no limit on the number or type of guns one may purchase at any given time, no permits to purchase, no "official" registration (provided it's not Class II, III, etc.)
PA is a Shall Issue state, but they likely WILL ask you to jump through a few hoops.  A friend of mine just got a CCW and there weren't any real problems, but it WAS a leeetle more involved than he thought it would be.
If you decide to come here, I welcome you.  We can never have too many residents who support our Constitutional Rights!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Actually they do enforce the riding in a pickup bed thing.  Probably hard to understand comming from Texas.  I got chewed out for riding to the top of a boatramp in the back of a truck.  Don't even think that they'll look the other way for ANY law.  They are protecting you from yourself.

most states have laws regarding riding in the back of pick-up trucks, Californias is not any worse than most others.

2-stroke?  Dirt Bike, chain saw, wheed-whacker engines.  Specifically, they stopped licensing 2-stroke OHVs for summertime use in the mountains.    Cause everyone knows the mountains are packed with smog and dirt bikes, and also that you can ride in the wintertime in the mountains .  Also the weed-whackers sold here have some sort of restrictor plate under the carb I believe.  All the pro landscaping guys go up to Nevada to buy weed-whackers.

2-stroke motors are pigs when it comes to emission waste, far worse than the worst cars.  Other states are also looking into restricting them.

What can't I do to my car?  Well for starters, if I want to restore an older truck and put a custom engine in it.  No can do.  Doesn't matter that if runs CLEANER than the factory engine, it has to be the same as it left the factory.  Basically trucks of this era are just guttless POSs as all the "emmissions" gear really does is restrict the air/fuel intake.  So basically you can't soup up your car.

Plain b.s.  As long as the aftermarket part is CARB approved you can add it to your car.  For a 5.0 liter Mustang I have loads of options when it comes to legal heads, headers, intakes, etc..  You can swap out motors. The only criteria that is required is that it has the smog equipment on it and runs as clean as the factory motor that came out of the auto.

Here's another one.  I like diesels and was thinking about getting an 80's truck that was originally gas and putting a diesel in it (because the diesels were VERY rare in those years).  Nope, forget about that too.  

Can't put the diesel in because they are not smogged and the criteria for motor swaps will not be covered.

Also worth mentioning was the remark about the vapor-less gas cans.  Going to be happening in other states soon.  In Texas, the law requiring the new gas cans will go into effect in 2006.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If you decide to come here, I welcome you.  We can never have too many residents who support our Constitutional Rights!

I'm already living in PA (right outside of Philly).  The only reason we still live where we do is because of family.  If we stay in the state is will be well outside of this area.  My wife & I want to keep all of our options open.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top