User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2004 8:17:54 PM EDT
No negative stereotypes, please.

I'm talking about...

How the Irish have the gift of gab.

How the Italians are passionate, and love to cook.

How the Australians are wild and hardy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
no. I don't hide money in my mattress.

that's what the coffee cans buried out back are for.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont know about that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always said that stereotypes are at least 70% true if you look at them honestly enough.

If they weren't, they would never have become stereotypes in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
no. I don't hide money in my mattress.

that's what the coffee cans buried out back are for.

I consider Jews to be one of the smartest ethnic groups, on the average.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread is so stereotypical of stereotype threads.

Yes, profiling can be useful.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Stereotypes arn't 100% true, but they have some truth to them, otherwise they wouldn't exist.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have always said that stereotypes are at least 70% true if you look at them honestly enough.

If they weren't, they would never have become stereotypes in the first place.

+1

and most are really funny too
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Anti-2nd Amendment liberals...

Nothing negative ?????

Make good fertalizer!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Only the ones about Asians and driving
IM KIDDING!

No, I would be the first to say Asians are crazy-ass drivers. Everytime I go to an Asian shopping center parking lot, I put on my helmet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm talking about...

Um - I don't think that's the most common stereotype about the Irish

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking about...

So what is it then, that they like law enforcement as a career?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking about...

No.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
"ARE STEREOTYPES ACTUALLY SORTA TRUE?"

If not, how else would they have become stereotypical.  

Some will respond they became that way through others ignorance.  For certain stereotypes that would be true.  But surely not for all.  Then again there's exceptions to every rule.  

Heck.  What was the question again?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Only the one about all southerners being racist rednecks.

Thats the only one your'e allowed to point to without getting sued, fired, or fined anyways...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thats the only one your'e allowed to point to without getting sued, fired, or fined anyways...

You forget also that all gunowners are evil and hell-bent on violence.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking about...

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I think they are true to an extent. Problem is no one would dare try to prove if they are right or wrong! No one is going to line up a bunch of black guys and take out a measuring tape.................though I know some who might volunteer for such research. Only when money is involved are things really proven to be true or not. Example, here in NY it is a well known fact that New Jersey drivers are the worst on the planet, THE WORST! But how to prove it? Finally about 30 years ago an insurance conglomerate did a study. Low and behold, They ARE some of the worst! that's why today the rates for someone from NJ are the highest in the nation. (that ain't no shit neither). So yes they are totally true.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]
It's not that Asians are bad drivers, it's the fact that they all wear flip flops that get tangled up in the pedals.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#20]
somewhere, somehow they are true
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Basicly, I remember I brought that point up in school once, it wasnt taken well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking about...

No duh. I was just being obtuse.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You forget also that all gunowners are evil and hell-bent on violence.

my bad.

I'm gonna make a T-shirt that says "For every anti gun bill you try to pass, I'm buying a gun".  Maybe I'll wear it on my visit to Kalifornia... Oh yeah, and it definitely needs a rebel flag on the back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It's not that Asians are bad drivers, it's the fact that they all wear flip flops that get tangled up in the pedals.

Thongs! They are called thongs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking about...

That we drink a lot, duh.  My mom's half Irish.  I have a Scottish last name.  And I'm brown.  I love racial stereotypes, because so many of them can be applied to me.  I'm a mutt.

As far as stereotypes go, yes most of them are based on some truth.  I have an Asian friend who is absolutely gifted with math, and he hates "the asians are good at math" stereotype.  I remind him that it could be worse, and give him some of the steretypes I've had to endure.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember a comedian speaking about stereotypes, he said:  "if you see an old van full of people you think 'A bunch of Mexicans', but then of course you think, 'Yeah, but they are going to work'".  So not all sterotypes are bad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll just say that some people live up the negative stereotypes about them every damn day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I jest wants a white girl!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#29]
exactly

Quoted:
Stereotypes arn't 100% true, but they have some truth to them, otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah mate, its all true!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Only the ones about Asians and driving

IM KIDDING!

I agree and I'm not kidding! I've had some close calls.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thongs! They are called thongs.

No. These are thongs.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:43:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Comedian David Steinberg used to do a routine about how he would get upset at his parents for believing stereotypes about different people.  However, as he got older, he noticed that there was an element of truth to most stereotypes... Some Jews are good with money.  Some Blacks have rhythm.  And some Chinese people all look alike.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:46:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Discussions on stereotypes seem to be OK, until we bring up the subject of IQ.

Seems some group has to bring up the rear, and they don't like to be reminded of it!

You all know whom I'm talking about!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:35:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes, most stereotypes have some bases in fact, or at least reflect a trend. That is how they became stereotypes.

When i see someone weaving all over the road i know they are one of three things; drunk, elderly, or Asain.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
As far as stereotypes go, yes most of them are based on some truth.  I have an Asian friend who is absolutely gifted with math, and he hates "the asians are good at math" stereotype.  

He hates the math stereotype as opposed to the small penis, and bad driver Asian stereotypes?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#37]
To quote a gentlemen by the name of John Murray Cuddihy:  "All stereotypes are more or less accurate".  'Nuff said.  Thank ya kindly for your time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#38]
The steroe type I have is a Sony
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Wetback........ from crossing the rio grande with shirt on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Actually, and I hesitate to say this as I'm sure someone could take offense from it, but while in the .mil I did notice that most of the African Americans couldn't swim. More than that there was a pretty big majority of them that were actually scared of the water.

I've no idea why that is, but it does seem to be true at least for those I have met.

Now hold on! I'm not saying they are cowards. In fact, one of my SSGT's was a black guy. Hard SOB too. Top tier in everything. First class PFT, Expert Rifle, Expert Pistol, knew his shit. But!
4th class swim qual.

I asked him about it once and he told me plain and simple. "I hate swimming. Scared to death of it. I do the minimum amount that we have to do and then get the hell out of the pool!"

So as long as we don't have to swim to shore before the fight starts, I'd be more than happy to have this guy with me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#41]
I dunno, are you good at math?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Yep, I've seen that in the .mil too.  My section had to do the 50m full-gear swim test a while back and the two blacks in the group were absolutely TERRIFIED.  One was so scared I had to walk alongside him and talk him through finishing it.

Quoted:
Actually, and I hesitate to say this as I'm sure someone could take offense from it, but while in the .mil I did notice that most of the African Americans couldn't swim. More than that there was a pretty big majority of them that were actually scared of the water.

I've no idea why that is, but it does seem to be true at least for those I have met.

Now hold on! I'm not saying they are cowards. In fact, one of my SSGT's was a black guy. Hard SOB too. Top tier in everything. First class PFT, Expert Rifle, Expert Pistol, knew his shit. But!
4th class swim qual.

I asked him about it once and he told me plain and simple. "I hate swimming. Scared to death of it. I do the minimum amount that we have to do and then get the hell out of the pool!"

So as long as we don't have to swim to shore before the fight starts, I'd be more than happy to have this guy with me.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I'm talking about...

How the Italians are passionate, and love to cook.

How the Australians are wild and hardy.

My lefty anthopology teacher said that stereotypes tended to have some sort of real basis, which is a rather odd position for someone with her political leaning. But most (all?) of her negative stereotypes were about white people of Western European desent.

The fact is, generalizing is a useful tool. That's all stereotypes are. And keep in mind, a stereotype dosn't tell you why a given set of people tend to behave a certain way, only that they do. The stereotyped behaviour may be based in genetics, or culture, or some combination.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I noticed that watching Survivor. Which is more than I learned watching years of sitcoms. So maybe reality TV isn't so bad.

We better watch out though. CavVet may come over here and kick our asses . . .
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#46]
It's tough being Catholic because of the whole "Big Penis - Huge Balls" stereotype.  Well, is it a stereotype if it's medical fact?

Anyway, I stopped hanging rosary beads from my rearview mirror because women kept jumping out of their cars at redlights trying to get a look at my Irish Salami.

=-0987y6thnbba
\ a\greaDSAFSDDDD/.,mnbvc';lkjhgfd
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#47]
/;./p0[kj-078gh5689df32465qa5312ase3dxc8r6fv9tfg8yghn-9unjmi0m0pol,o90u 0y679f434sd5cvtyhunjukml,;.

Sorry, my huge Catholic Penis is getting in the way of posting a reply to this thread.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Mine too3466782386jfdh345

And I will add- never take a math class from an Asian prof.

More observations - note that these are not judgments, just observations about black folks.

They tend to smoke menthol cigarettes.

They tend to like colors that seem a little odd or garish to white people(royal purple, or that odd yellow-green shade that I've seen cars painted in - invariably the driver is black).

They tend to be louder than whites when they're in groups.  Just last night I was walking to my car from class on my university campus...I could hear shouting from the parking lot, and as I drew closer it resolved itself to a group of young black males having a shouted rap contest in the parking lot.  When I'm in the dining facilities at the university at lunchtime, the only voices you can hear over the ambient noise are generally the blacks.

The "black accent" is almost Southern in character.  I noted this in class the other day - a black woman who was born and raised in Indianapolis sounds like she is from the depths of Louisiana.  

And don't fucking IBTL me...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

and how a few of us are a bit fond of the drink as well?  NO, no truth to THAT
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#50]
WQWERTYUJ$%RTGBERFG>MBDFGB  WEDFVBNM<>

CATHOLIC DOWN!!!!!!!!

Sgtar15
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top