Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 1:39:44 PM EDT
I don’t want to slam the company here although it would be fun- I just handled one of his HK94 clones for the first time a few weeks ago...

Can we please hold off on Special Weapons / Toad bashing for another thread....I really want to learn how these plastic/ composite components are made.

I do not know much about the plastic / polymer manufacturing process & industry, but I do have experience in lost wax casting (I used to manufacture custom jewelry).

I have some ideas for HK & AR15 accessories, and I would love to try and build some prototypes!! Right now I am basically just carving balsa wood and plastic odds & ends to make very rough prototype parts for the fun of it .

Is manufacturing parts like the ones below something that could be done on a "home shop" level - or are we talking BIG $$$ for the equipment and tooling?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I ma sure GarryOwen  and the Cav Arms crwe will be here shortly to tell ya something of how it is done. If you have some ideas, you may want to talk to them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#2]
They are mostly done on Injection Molding. It isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Todd has said in the past he uses a mold and subs the work out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1    I had a great idea and looked into the process and the dollar amount was way too much for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard they melted down thousands of Barbie dolls...then pull their pants off...then hump a plastic pig.

DOn't shoot the messenger.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Its expensive to get the molds made and perfected.  Once they are made the actual production is easy. But the molds are a bitch.  Not to mention the composition of the plastic needs to be the heat, solvent, and impact resistant as well as have high tensile strenght.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#7]
It is not cheap to do on your own but there are lots of hungry shops out there that spent a lot on tools and need to keep them going.

You'd have to spend money on set up etc...but you might be able to find a good deal by working the market.

I say go for it...keep all of your designs to yourself and protect your IP...but you might be able to find a good partner and make some interesting things
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]
This may sound weird, but would it be easier to have a shop duplicate plastic parts like these out of aluminum? (Milling?)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1    I had a great idea and looked into the process and the dollar amount was way too much for me.

Sorry to hear that - are you still working on your idea at all?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top