Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:37:44 PM EDT
This is certainly not a flame, and I imagine this will be a long thread, but I am curious as to why someone who believes in an afterlife that is better than this life would strive to live? Why practice self defense and such when the afterlife is better than this one?

Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
God told me to.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Life is a gift from the Lord and it to be cherished.  It's not up to us to decide when our time is up.

I look forward to the 2nd Coming, I look forward to Heaven.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I look forward to an eternity burning in the fires of hell.
Spooky, isn't it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not necessarily a christian, but I love my life.

Even the worst days kick the crap out of being in the ground.

afterlife or no afterlife.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!  I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

Philippians 1:21-24
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Spooky, isn't it?

to each his own.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
It is a sin to commit suicide.  You'll pass up purgatory and take the express lane straight to hell.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
God told me to.

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This is certainly not a flame, and I imagine this will be a long thread, but I am curious as to why someone who believes in an afterlife that is better than this life would strive to live? Why practice self defense and such when the afterlife is better than this one?

Thanks in advance guys.

To annoy you.  How am I doing so far?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
God has a purpose for me, and everyone.  I don't know if I will find out what it is, but God put me here for a reason.  I hope to fulfill whatever purpose he has for me.

Besides, even though heaven will be wonderful, life here on Earth is good too.

What I've often wondered is, if we are all the products of evolution and when we die we are gone forever, what is the point of living?  What makes non-theists bother staying alive?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks in advance guys.

God's plan for humankind is to follow and worship Him as our creator.  How we do this, conduct our lives, have faith in Him throughout our short stint here on earth is what we are rewarded for in the 'afterlife' so you say.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thanks in advance guys.

Dude, I'm a non believer, and even I know a fairly deep answer to this question...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
To crush your enemies...

to see them driven before you...

and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Or, so says Crom.  I'm sure the God of Abraham has some similar reasons .
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]
At some of my darkest moments, my love of others is all that kept me alive.   Having lost a son to suicide, I can tell you that the dead are the only ones who stop hurting.  I justified staying alive because I knew that my untimely death would have a devastating effect on my two surviving children, my sister, and my brothers.  I credit God with keeping that endangered flame alive in me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
To crush your enemies...

Ezekiel 25
14 And I will lay my vengeance upon Edom by the hand of my people Israel; and they shall do in Edom according to my anger and according to my wrath; and they shall know my vengeance, says the Lord GOD. 15 "Thus says the Lord GOD: Because the Philistines acted revengefully and took vengeance with malice of heart to destroy in never-ending enmity; 16 therefore thus says the Lord GOD, Behold, I will stretch out my hand against the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cher'ethites, and destroy the rest of the seacoast.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#16]
"It was pity that stayed the hand of Bilbo.  It is not for us to choose who should live and who should die.  All we have to do is to decide what we are going to do with the time that  is given to us."

"Not even the wisest can see all ends."

-Gandalf the Grey-  (speaking to and mentoring Frodo Baggins)
"The Lord Of The Rings"

By this Tolkien was reflecting the Christian beliefs that God, and only God, chooses who is to live and who is to die and when.  He is saying that God, and only God, knows when our end is coming and what is coming in the end.  

That while we are here God gave us free will to choose what we do - even the option to end our own lives.  God gave the humans in LOTR (and US) the GIFT of death - something he denied to his elven race).  He also gave promised us the gift of resurrection and the promise of life everlasting for those who have accepted Jesus as their saviour.  We have to choose to accept Jesus.  

I am here to be a husband to the good woman to whom I am married.  I am here to be a good father to my daughter.  I am here to fight against the forces of evil that are all too alive and well and at work in the world around us.

What is in store for you?  Which side are you on?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#17]
God gives life with purpose in mind. My existence is not mine to merely end whenever I want. My life belongs to Him and Him alone. I have no say in when it ends.

Neither can I just let any old person who wants to take it. It is a gift from God and I plan to keep it
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!  I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

Philippians 1:21-24

+1.

Life is precious. For now, God has given me life to be used for Him. Part of that is defense of the life He has given me, and that he has given others  (i.e. lawful use of arms in defense of self and others)

When its my time to go, I'm living now so I'll have no regrets then. And when it is time, its all gonna be that much better than this life.

Hope this helps explain.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To crush your enemies...

Ezekiel 25
14 And I will lay my vengeance upon Edom by the hand of my people Israel; and they shall do in Edom according to my anger and according to my wrath; and they shall know my vengeance, says the Lord GOD. 15 "Thus says the Lord GOD: Because the Philistines acted revengefully and took vengeance with malice of heart to destroy in never-ending enmity; 16 therefore thus says the Lord GOD, Behold, I will stretch out my hand against the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cher'ethites, and destroy the rest of the seacoast.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Life is a gift from the Lord and it to be cherished.  It's not up to us to decide when our time is up.

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I can turn that question right around on you. If you don't believe in God or an afterlife then what's the point of living at all? I mean, won't everything just be nothingness for you once you're dead and gone? If that's the case, then why should you follow any moral code whatsoever? Why not just do as you please, do whatever makes you happy and live as selfishly as you possibly can? Live it up while you're here because that's all there is, right?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#22]
So that when GOD instructs me to,I can Kill all the Heathens and NON-Believers.................
I hear he will be making an appearance shortly........
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#23]
That's easy, they don't have ARs in heaven...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#24]
For me and my house I will serve the Lord.

Matt 28:18-20
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
NIV
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
For me and my house I will serve the Lord.

Amen.

The Lord put me here for a purpose. He will call me back when I have accomplished it.

I will not go against His wishes and throw away the life He so happily gave me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Bring some marshmellows, you'll have plenty of company.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#28]
We we came here to gain a physical body that we did not have before and to gain knowledge and understanding to use in the afterlife. I have alot to learn and gain from this earthly world and until God calls me back I will keep at it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance guys.

To annoy you.  How am I doing so far?

Not too good, I really don't give a flying fuck about how other people live their lives, I'm just curious.

BTW, I wasn't talking about suicide, but if I was a believer and had a straight ticket to heaven I would probably walk into a crack house shooting.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#30]
"but I am curious as to why someone who believes in an afterlife that is better than this life would strive to live? Why practice self defense and such when the afterlife is better than this one?"

good question. I don't know what to believe about God, would be great to think He is real, who knows. I guess if I knew for certain, and I thought for certain if I passed away I'd go to Heaven, a much better place, there have been times in my life when I would have killed myself without hesitation.
Maybe the doubt exists to prevent people from doing that.

As for self desfense, if nothing else, God, no God, ect., I'd defend myself cause it would be a cold day in he!! before I'd let someone have the satisfaction of harming me or my loved ones without me putting up the best fight I could.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#31]
And ya'll called ME a troll. Geeze.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
And ya'll called ME a troll. Geeze.

Hey, you say troll like its a bad thing!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I am god's gift to women (why don't they realize this?).

Catholic girls start much too late....

Only the good die young.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.churchofsatan.com/Graphics/BaphoGal/GBaph.jpg

Charming....

If he had ANY clue what Satanists are about, he'd change his mind.....real fast.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#35]
God has a plan for everyone.  He desires for his children to obey his will and "be fishers of Men" in other words to turn disbelievers into believers.  Also to do good works such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked and liberating the oppressed from tyranical dictators like Saddam Hussien and Bill Clinton.

To rush to end one's life before the time of God's choosing is a big no no.  We all have work to do, or else God would have just started us all out in Heaven.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.churchofsatan.com/Graphics/BaphoGal/GBaph.jpg

Charming....

If he had ANY clue what Satanists are about, he'd change his mind.....real fast.

Satanism is like Christianity only different in a bad sort of way. Now figure that one out,LOL.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Well if you believe in evolution and not in God then you are here to have as many children as possible to pass along your genes. You are also here to help your race survive.

On the other hand, If you are christian. You are here to serve god. You are also here to be fruitfull and multiply. You are also here to help mankind and your fellow brothers.

So we are both here for the same reasons. So lets be fruitful and multiply.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I"m also starting to think that the only reason some people become Christians is so they can join a "Social Club" where they can hang out with other people. I want to be a Gnostic but I've no where to hang out in my community with others that believe that way so what am I to do?  I can "fake it" and hang out with the Christian Social Club or be a lonely Gnostic, what's a Pagan to do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Well if you believe in evolution and not in God then you are here to have as many children as possible to pass along your genes. You are also here to help your race survive.

On the other hand, If you are christian. You are here to serve god. You are also here to be fruitfull and multiply. You are also here to help mankind and your fellow brothers.

So we are both here for the same reasons. So lets be fruitful and multiply.

I know a girl who thinks she's religious that this might work on
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1  

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a sin to commit suicide.  You'll pass up purgatory and take the express lane straight to hell.

so is masturbation. there's gonna be a lot of surprised folks around here on judgement day

No it's not! It's my wife's fault if I have to masturbate. Shes the one who will answer to God for my actions.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Thanks in advance guys.

Because there are no GUNs in HEAVEN!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance guys.

Why shouldn't there be?  Do you think God hates guns?

We won't have our sin nature, and we can't die, so it's not like guns will be a danger.

Do you think that Heaven will be a place where we sit on a cloud and play the harp all day or something?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance guys.

Why shouldn't there be?  Do you think God hates guns?

We won't have our sin nature, and we can't die, so it's not like guns will be a danger.

Do you think that Heaven will be a place where we sit on a cloud and play the harp all day or something?

In the first place "heaven" isn't where Christians will spend eternity, the re-created earth is where ya'll will be. Read the book of Revelations for god sake and stop with all this false crap.

Chapter 21

1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.

10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.

14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.

16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.

18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.

19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;

20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.

21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.

22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.

26 And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.

27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Now do ya'll get it, you won't be in "heaven". And ya'll wonder why I'm having a problem with Christians and what they believe.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Thanks in advance guys.

Because it is in this walk of life that man earns is reward or punishment.
I will depart when I have been tested to his satisfaction.

It is an incredible weeding out process.
Give God a try. If you dont like it ,The devil will always take you back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]
The only thing christians are 100% sure of is that life exists. The afterlife part is still skepticism.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#48]
What a stupid post.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
That's easy, they don't have ARs in heaven...

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Purgatory... no such thing, It's a catholic invention, along with other things having no basis in the bible.

S
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top