Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2004 12:34:53 PM EDT
We got a puppy about 8 months ago and Mrs.E6 has began to get quite instant on getting my poor dogs sack cut off Gunner neutered.

I've "missed" two appointments to take him in already & I'm out of excuses. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t have him cut? I really don’t want to do that to him, but I have no real reasons. I guess I just wouldn’t want it done to me and therefore, don’t want it done to my best friend.

Any legit reasons not to have him cut, or should I just submit to the inevitable?

echo6
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
weight gain?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
weight gain?

Not an issue with a dog the age of the one mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
weight gain?

Not an issue with a dog the age of the one mentioned.

Dude, your not helping me
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The stray dog that showed up at my house and wouldn't leave is getting neutered tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I did it to my dog and sometimes it' tough to look him straight in the eye. If I could choose again, I wouldn't, it made him docile.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't do that to a friend
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Because then he wouldnt have any balls!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
it makes them passive.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The only reason not to do it would be if you were planning to breed him.....................
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't do it.

Subconciously, she's projecting his castartion on to you anyway.

Just 'say' you're going to the vet finally ("OK, OK Mrs. Echo6!  But you owe me one for this!").  Then take him for an 8 hour walk, come back and tell her that you opted to spend the extra $50 to get him fake balls.

He won't be gettin' no neighborhood bitches pregnant anyways, that is, if you live in a place with other 'responsible' dog owners (ones that have already followed the animal sexual mutilation congo line that fucker Bob Barker pushes so hard).

I'll say it again:  Don't do it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#11]
we got two dogs from the pound and they include the neutering in the adoption and the microchip for tracking

Anyways, if you're not going to breed him it would be a good idea.

My dogs are not docile after being fixed. Both very healthy and active.

The two cats are fixed, too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Is he purebreed?He could always be a stud and make you some money! If not, it's not like you'll get stuck with the puppies if he has a night on the town!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Does the dog have papers? If so, I'd say NO! Otherwise, whatever.

My buddy's wife had their Weimeriner's (sp?) balls cut. "A fucking show dog, with fucking papers!", as it were.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
No real reason not to, but I just saw a dog not to long ago at the local Petsmart that had been neutered and it just didn't look right. My girl friend thought the samething too. I can't even describe it other than to say. "imaging if you took everything out of there and just left the skin hanging... not a very nice picture."  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
You can always have him neutered and then buy him a pair from here...

www.neuticles.com/index1.html

He will feel more like a "man" if he has a pair hangin'!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#16]
With rare exception, it is always a good idea to spay or neuter a pet.  AS for making them less active, well......THEY ARE DOMESTICATED ANIMALS; THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE MANAGABLE!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone mentioned the microchips... Those things suck opt for the Lojack!!! That way you can recover with the satelite tracking!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Look!  A free t-shirt for her to wear to her Man Hater meetings!

Be sure to pick yourself up a pair!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, the fact that he won't be a "dog" anymore.  

There are no substantial downsides to keeping him intact.  Benign prostate enlargement is common for dogs over 8--if that occurs, then neutering is the answer.  Testicular cancer is fairly rare.  

Any pissing or humping issues can be corrected with training.  Preganancy issues corrected by keeping him away from strays and in your yard.  

Downsides to neutering include weight gain, passivity, especially if fixed before the opportunity to mature, and abnormal growth.  The presence of testostrone acts like a brake on bone plate growth and many dogs who are fixed too young exhibit abnormally large bones and size.   That is not good for hips and joints.  

Don't do it.  Your buddy will love you for it.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't do it! My dog has not behaved the same way since and I wish I could go back and not do it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]
A very disturbing sight: Dogs hump even after they're fixed - sometimes more often then ones that aren't.

Seeing a dog with balls hump isn't nearly as bad as watching one that's been "fixed" - it's like watching a one armed drunk at the bar trying to do a shot with his hook - sad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Why have a dog if you plan on getting him fixed?If you just want something laying around the house when you come home from work,Buy a plant.......
A Dog is man's best friend! If you want him to be docile,like Kerry,then by all means,cut his balls off ,But be sure to keep them in a jar right next to the bed,where they can be viewed by the person deciding to have this done.
If you chose to get the dog for family protection,having him fixed,takes away a lot of natural agression,which defeats the whole purpose in getting him in the first place.

You wouldn't go out and buy a new truck that came with a factory V8,just to take it home and put a 4 cylinder in it would you?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Have some unwanted puppies, turn them out in the country, let someone post here about shooting them, the thread will go for days, everyone is happy...wait. Nevermind!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#24]
In my opinion it's part of responsible pet ownership.  If you aren't going to intentionally breed the dog (and only people with a financial reason to do so should, there's plenty of mutts now) then it's just something you should do.  I personally think that people who notice a major change that they don't like are just choosing to see something.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Go to your local pound and look at the faces of all the unwanted puppies.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
How would you like your balls cut off?  Control your animal and you shouldn't have to cut anything off.  Spend the money and get him trained.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top