Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2004 12:02:08 PM EDT
www.kirotv.com/politics/3836578/detail.html

Mistakes

POSTED: 3:10 pm EDT October 20, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Sen. John Kerry, bracing for a potential fight over election results, will not hesitate to declare victory Nov. 2 and defend it, advisers say. He also will be prepared to name a national security team before knowing whether he's secured the presidency.

In short, the Democratic presidential candidate has a simple strategy for Nov. 3 and beyond: Do not repeat Al Gore's mistakes.

ELECTION 2004
Congress 2004
Meet The Candidates
The Money | The Issues
Discuss Election  

The Democratic vice president prematurely conceded the 2000 race to George W. Bush, then had to retract his concession after aides said Florida wasn't lost. He never declared victory, an omission Kerry's advisers -- many of whom worked for Gore -- now believe created a sense of inevitability in voters' minds about Bush's presidency.

Gore didn't plan for the legal showdown, though few could have predicted it before Election Day. And he watched as Bush seized political advantage during the 36-day recount by publicly discussing a transition to the White House.

Not this time, promise Kerry's advisers. If there is doubt about the results, they will fight without delay.

"The first thing we will do is make sure everybody has an opportunity to vote and every vote is counted," said Kerry spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter. "We will be ready to hit the ground running and begin a fresh start in this country, given that so many critical issues are before us."

The prospects for another contested election with every poll showing the race neck and neck.

Six so-called "SWAT teams" of lawyers and political operatives will be situated around the country with fueled-up jets awaiting Kerry's orders to speed to a battleground state. The teams have been told to be ready to fly on the evening of the election to begin mounting legal and political fights. Every battleground state will have a SWAT team within an hour of its borders.

The Kerry campaign has recount office space in every battleground state, with plans so detailed they include the number of staplers and coffee machines needed to mount legal challenges.

"Right now, we have 10,000 lawyers out in the battleground states on Election Day, and that number is growing by the day," said Michael Whouley, a Kerry confidant who is running election operations at the Democratic National Committee.

While the lawyers litigate, political operatives will try to shape public perception. Their goal would be to persuade voters that Kerry has the best claim to the presidency and that Republicans are trying to steal it.

Democrats are already laying the public relations groundwork by pointing to every possible voting irregularity before the Nov. 2 election and accusing Republicans of wrongdoing.

On Election Day, Whouley will head the so-called "boiler room," probably in Washington, that tracks vote counts and ensures Kerry doesn't concede too soon. Whouley was the aide who, after noticing Florida was too close to call in 2000, called Gore's team in Tennessee and told them to put the brakes on the concession speech.

Campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill will be with Kerry in Boston, where they will field Whouley's calls.

Jim Johnson, who headed Kerry's vice presidential search team, former Labor Secretary Alexis Herman and longtime Kerry aide David McKean lead the team planning Kerry's transition to the White House.

Aides say the transition process is behind schedule, but Kerry will be ready to name a national security team shortly after the election. They say he has candidates in mind, but is reluctant to discuss the transition while campaigning.

The advisers spoke on condition of anonymity because Kerry wants the focus to be on his campaign for now.

The plan to quickly name a national security team is partly practical (at a time of war, continuity is necessary) and political, aides said, because if there is another recount Kerry will want to show he's ready to take power.

Amid the tumult of the 2000 recount, Bush sought to make his presidency appear inevitable time by leaking word of his national security team and bringing news cameras into his transition meetings. Gore and his staff were more reluctant to talk about the appointment process.

Kerry's advisers say Bush would have a natural political advantage in a re-count in this election because he is the president, with a national security team in place and a public relations spotlight that comes with the White House.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Between this and the point that he made about calling for voting fraud if he loses, even if their is no evidence of such, really show what kind of a cock-smoking shit-for-brains we are dealing with here.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Both sides are preparing for a legal battle, they've both got their legions of lawyers ready to slug it out if the margin of victory is smaller than the margin of error, and the margin of error is pretty big in a national election. Kerry's just doing what his lawyers are advising him to do, nothing unusual about that.

I truly hope Bush wins decisively enough that there won't be any doubt, it's not good for the country when half the population believes the CIC isn't legitimate.

The only reason it's an issue at all is that both candidates are so weak the election is really about voting against the other guy on both sides. The vast middle in american politics doesn't like either of these guys. A strong republican would win the 45 states sgtar15 thinks Bush will. The fact that a scumbag like Kerry is even in the race shows how weak Bush's mandate really is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
our founding fathers are probably turning over in their graves

liberals have fucked over this great country.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The only reason it's an issue at all is that both candidates are so weak the election is really about voting against the other guy on both sides. The vast middle in american politics doesn't like either of these guys. A strong republican would win the 45 states sgtar15 thinks Bush will. The fact that a scumbag like Kerry is even in the race shows how weak Bush's mandate really is.

+1.  I hate to say it, but I believe that if the Democrats had put up someone with a more solid record and closer-to-center views, they would win handily.  There are a LOT of people in this country who are not happy at all that we are in Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Algore did more damage to our great nation than Alqueda.

I mean that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Liberals are the biggest whiners and crybabies I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
FIX BAYONETS
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FIX BAYONETS

Don't joke. If the fight is as bad as this is predicting, this will almost certainly become violent.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered 2000 rounds of ammo for my various guns, and have been sure the bug out bags are ready .

Americans don't seem to realize it, but society is built on the trust of the social compact and constituion and laws.  The Democrats plan (and are doing) everything in their power to deligitmize this.  There was a democrat talking head on TV the other night saying that "if all the votes that are cast are counted, John Kerry will be the winnder."   The converse of that, which suggests that ANY victory by Bush somehow was the result of disenfranchisement may play well to the democrats' base, but it is an entirely irresponsible and destablizing influence on the government.  

There is a very fine line between an operating government on the one hand and absolute destability on the other.   The Democrats are setting us up for not just a constitutional crisis, but for full on anarchy.  Add to the mix that Al Quaeda sees all this playing out in the papers and must certainly be motivated to try and pull a Spain like attack, and we certainly face the possibility of TSHTF and TEOTWAWKI.   I'm going to be ready, waiting and watching.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FIX BAYONETS

Don't joke. If the fight is as bad as this is predicting, this will almost certainly become violent.

Don't bust my stones I can make jokes...are you trying to supress my freedoms?

In the meantime...get those bayo lugs installed
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Gore injected a horrible poison, the worst since slavery, into the American polity.  We'll come out on the right side, like we did back then, but this is profoundly serious if the Democrats go through with this insanity.

Every morning when I am walking outside, alone, I wonder what is going to happen when the Democrats decide they want the White House so bad they try to override the election through the courts and through the media, and attempt to label the president as illegitimate even though he won.  I hate thinking about it, but I also know they will do it.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]
your omega man avatar could be right on the money....load up boys
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#12]
That is why the polls are SOOOOO important to the democrats.
As long as their crocked pollsters say that Kerry will win, they can point to those when he gets his ass handed to him and blame "the vast right wing conspiracy".
Never mind that it is about 2 or 3 pollsters and it would take 1000s of people to fix an election.

Democrats will not take this loss well at all.  I think it is going to be hilarious.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That is why the polls are SOOOOO important to the democrats.
As long as their crocked pollsters say that Kerry will win, they can point to those when he gets his ass handed to him and blame "the vast right wing conspiracy".
Never mind that it is about 2 or 3 pollsters and it would take 1000s of people to fix an election.

Democrats will not take this loss well at all.  I think it is going to be hilarious.

I wish I could be as sanguine.  It is going to be ugly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on this getting violent. Somewhere, there will at least be rioting.

We may have seen the last of peaceful elections.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
This will be the ugliest election ever. I am not looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Raven,

You're right, but lets not forget the price we paid, in lives and politically, for the eventual end of slavery in America.

Slavery was an ugly thing, but the union was wrong about nearly everything else.

This is another of those rare times in American history when extreme circumstances lead to extreme legislation, and the loss of liberty and the abandonment of core principle is applauded by the populace.

Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, and unfortunately neither of the current candidates show any more respect for the constitution than they.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Gore injected a horrible poison, the worst since slavery, into the American polity.  We'll come out on the right side, like we did back then, but this is profoundly serious if the Democrats go through with this insanity.

Very well put.  I am not a "the end is near" kind of person, but I am genuinely afraid for what is going to happen two weeks from now.  More than I fear a Kerry presidency, I REALLY fear the aftermath of yet another melee over presidential election results... a battle that will undoubtedly be MUCH more bloody than 2000.

If Kerry wins, so be it.  But if Bush wins, and Kerry's thugs succeed in wrestling the presidency away with legal and P.R. maneuvering, severe and irreparable harm will have been done to our country.  Even if he doesn't succeed, the integrity of the results will be soiled by his allegations.

--Mike
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope Kerry keeps bragging about how he's going to declare victory even if there is no winner, how he's going to claim voter fraud even in places where there is no evidence, how he's going to challenge the election process even in places where it's not a close election, and how he already has 10,000 lawyers waiting to fight out every aspect of the election.

Does he really think telling everyone this ahead of time is going to help him?  It gives Bush a chance to get a defense in place.  It shows the American people that Kerry will do everything and anything to win, even if he has no evidence supporting him.  All it does is makes him look crooked and shady while at the same time it seems to be energizing the Republican base to kick his ass by such a large margin that all the whinning in the world won't do any good.

I don't know about 45 states but Bush is going to stomp on Kerry this election.  If you look at the non-biased polls they average to Bush with a +5% lead.  On top of that a lot of people who are polled say they would vote for Kerry but they are really just anti-Bush people and don't care about Kerry.  If they aren't motivated for Kerry are they really going to show up on election day?  Then add to that the gay marriage constitutional amendments on 11 states ballots.  In the past this type of amendment has been known to bring out the conservative base in huge numbers.  Kerry is going to get stomped!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very well put.  I am not a "the end is near" kind of person, but I am genuinely afraid for what is going to happen two weeks from now.  More than I fear a Kerry presidency, I REALLY fear the aftermath of yet another melee over presidential election results... a battle that will undoubtedly be MUCH more bloody than 2000.

If Kerry wins, so be it.  But if Bush wins, and Kerry's thugs succeed in wrestling the presidency away with legal and P.R. maneuvering, severe and irreparable harm will have been done to our country.  Even if he doesn't succeed, the integrity of the results will be soiled by his allegations.

--Mike

I agree with both.  In the states with large urban areas, there will be a flood of so-called 'provisional ballots'.  Think Pennsylvania with Philadelphia, Ohio with Cleveland and Toledo, Michigan with Detroit, Missouri with St. Louis.  The inner cities will have enough corruption to keep the election results within the margin of error.  The electoral college will be close enough that challenges in only two or three states will enable the Dems to claim an invalid election.

I think it's very likely for a 1992 Rodney King Verdict situation to exist.  Mainstream media will love to play up the racial angle.

All at a time when we're at war with people who have already attacked us on our own soil.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#20]
So get out and outvote the cockholster.

What a shitstain this asshole is.

SG

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#21]
They're democrats...who needs a bayonet?

FIX KNITTING NEEDLES!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#22]
It doesn't matter if it's a landslide by GWB. sKerry will cause one hell of an uproar.
Count on this tactic to be standard on Presidential Elections from now on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]
That's what I'm afraid of too. That fucking shithead Al Gore did major damage last time around with his fucking whining. I'm hoping Bush will win by so much there's no way in hell the Dem's can dispute it. If not, it'll be another fiasco like we had in 2000.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#25]
It's inevitable, given the insanely litigious nature of our society, that lawyer's will henceforth decide our elections for us.

Welcome to a third world country.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't know about that but I DO KNOW that Clinton kidnapped the Lindbergh baby !
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
our founding fathers are probably turning over in their graves

Amen, brother. They are probably spinning like dynamos.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Yall guys in Texas ready? Yall already handled one JFK.

Joking.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#29]
It doesen't matter whathappensat the polls. The DUh membership has already declared that anything but a Kerry win is the result of a STOLEN election.

John Kerry could kill and eat a 2 year old on live television, and these morons would blame it on President Bush, and the vast right wing conspiracy.

Lock and load, I fear that the worst is yet to come.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Does someone have a link, preferably "objective" source, about Kerry's comments on voter fraud?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't fix bayonets, get them from afar....you don't want their blood on you.  Never know what you could catch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I would almost prefer a Kerry victory over having the courts decide the election.

Al Gore set a very dangerous precedent. Nixon could have protested the 1960 contest because of obvious voter fraud but he thought the republic was more important.

Al Gore & John Kerry care more about power than democracy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Well................After GW wins we could heard Kerry and his friends into  camps and put stars on their  shoulders and tatoo numbers on their forearms.    Damn, somebody already tried that one.

It had a ring to it though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#35]

We are starting to see the fruits the demonrats have been planting in our country for the last 20+ years.  How to steal/ corrupt an election.  Heck, it is ILLEGAL to ask for photo ID to vote in 17 states.  Not going to be pretty from now on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  I hate to say it, but I believe that if the Democrats had put up someone with a more solid record and closer-to-center views, they would win handily.  There are a LOT of people in this country who are not happy at all that we are in Iraq.

Yeah, they are called brainless liberals.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Teddy just couldn't let that happen now could he?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I would almost prefer a Kerry victory over having the courts decide the election.

Al Gore set a very dangerous precedent. Nixon could have protested the 1960 contest because of obvious voter fraud but he thought the republic was more important.

Al Gore & John Kerry care more about power than democracy.

They know us well. We respect the Republic.

They don't have that impediment.

Unfortunately, that gives them an advantage in a non decisive election.

Hopefully, it doesn't bite our country in the butt too much........
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Algore did more damage to our great nation than Alqueda.

I mean that.

just imagine what kerry would do

not gonna be an issue though, it's going to be hard for kerry to 'challenge' when President Bush takes the popular vote and the electoral vote with at least 300 votes.
the fact that the dems are even talking about this is great news for President Bush.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Bullshit.  Fuck them.  This is not 'Nam, there are rules.  Let them get away with it here for the sake of keeping civil order for 4 years, they will not stop.

They had better not try it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Between this and the point that he made about calling for voting fraud if he loses, even if their is no evidence of such, really show what kind of a cock-smoking shit-for-brains we are dealing with here.

+1

Kerry has become an intolerable option. I just hope the voters see through his maniacal lust for power.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
This will be the ugliest election ever. I am not looking forward to it.

+1, and I'm in Colorado, but on November 2nd I'll be in Florida.  Talk about double battleground...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top