Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2004 8:35:23 AM EDT
www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=105&STORY=/www/story/10-20-2004/0002289425

This is the Scholastic poll of school kids.   The kids have picked the outcome in all but two elections since they started doing this.  I'd say its because the kids are voting what they hear at home.  Its encouraging.

Scholastic, the global children's publishing and media company, today announced the results of the 2004 Scholastic Election Poll, an educational activity that gives children too young to go to the polls themselves the opportunity to participate in the political process. More than half a million students in first through eighth grades from across the country participated in the poll, choosing George W. Bush as the next President of the United States.

Since 1940, Scholastic Classroom Magazines have given students the opportunity to cast their vote for president in the Scholastic Election Poll (online voting was added in 2000). In every election, but two, the outcome of the Scholastic Election Poll mirrored the outcome of the general election. The exceptions were in 1948 when students chose Thomas E. Dewey over Harry S. Truman and in 1960 when more students voted for Richard M. Nixon than John F.
Kennedy. In 2000, student voters chose George W. Bush, mirroring the Electoral College result but not the result of the popular vote.

In the 2004 Scholastic Election Poll, George W. Bush received 52 percent
of the votes and the Democratic contender, John F. Kerry, received 47 percent.
Rounding out the vote, 1 percent of students voted for other candidates.

Results from key swing states are as follows:

* Florida and Ohio were a near tie between President Bush and Senator
Kerry.

* President Bush received 57 percent of the student vote in Pennsylvania.

* Senator Kerry received 58 percent of the student vote in New Hampshire.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember being a 5th grader during the 1984 election, and we had a classrom vote.  My dad was a big Mondale-lovin' reagan hating wuss, so all I heard about was how Reagan sucked over breakfast every morning.

As we were getting ready to vote, Yong-Su, this Korean kid asks me how he should vote.  I tell him to vote for Mondale.  Ok, he votes for Mondale.

Votes are counted, there are exactly 2 votes for Mondale out of a class of 30.  Yong-Su punches me in the shoulder "Why you tell me to vote for loser?"

I dont know, Yong-Su.  I just don't know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I remember being a 5th grader during the 1984 election, and we had a classrom vote.  My dad was a big Mondale-lovin' reagan hating wuss, so all I heard about was how Reagan sucked over breakfast every morning.

As we were getting ready to vote, Yong-Su, this Korean kid asks me how he should vote.  I tell him to vote for Mondale.  Ok, he votes for Mondale.

Votes are counted, there are exactly 2 votes for Mondale out of a class of 30.  Yong-Su punches me in the shoulder "Why you tell me to vote for loser?"

That's classic man, classic.

But I say that your vote is precisely the reason this scholastic poll is sort of a predictor of outcome.  It sneakes out what folks really think at home and say in private company.   Hell, your classroom just about approximated the actual Reagan / Mondale electoral vote count!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oh man, I just had a beer through nose moment.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In every election, but twoone, the outcome of the Scholastic Election Poll mirrored the outcome of the general election. The exceptions were was in 1948 when students chose Thomas E. Dewey over Harry S. Truman and in 1960 when more students voted for Richard M. Nixon than John F. Kennedy.

Fixed it for ya -- Nixon beat Kennedy, but Daley (King Richard the First) of Chicago stole the electon for Kennedy.  Nixon decided not to go to court over it because he didn't want to be divisive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top