Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2004 7:36:35 AM EDT
they hired this new guy at work. He seems like kind of a hippie, but an OK guy none the less. He kinda looks like John Popper from Blues Traveler.

Anyways, I invite him to lunch with the rest of the team, and he says "no thanks, I'm fasting. Ask me in about 3 weeks." The guy has an Arabic last name, but I figured he was basically Americanized. I guess I was wrong.

Soooo, that leads me to my question.

Is it Ramadana-ding-dong already?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#1]
According to the Islamic Society of North America the first day of fasting for Ramadan 2004 is expected to be October 16th.

Ramadan
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
According to the Islamic Society of North America the first day of fasting for Ramadan 2004 is expected to be October 16th.

Ramadan

It began on the night of October the 15th, to be exact.  It's all about moon cycles.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Better keep an eye on him. He can't be trusted.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Last year in Iraq, we sure knew when Ramadan started.  That's when they started launching rockets into our base.  Hopefully, they are prepared this year.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#7]
It it were Ramadan, John Kerry would be getting his photo taken wearing a skull cap bowing on a prayer rug.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I was working in the Middle East one year when Ramadan was in the summer. Man, that was tough. Out of respect for my hosts and co-workers, I fasted with them. Working all day in the hot sun with no water was tough, but manageable. It's not like anybody's busting their ass anyway. Man, when sunset came, though, it was really something! We'd basically stay up almost all night eating and partying.

Elderly people, the sick, pregnant women and those who are traveling are exempt from fasting during Ramadan. That's why so many muslims travel during Ramadan - so they don't have to fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top