Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 6:13:54 AM EDT
What many folks don't seem to know, the bureaucrats that determine which particular strain of flu vacine to be distributed make that decision 18-24 months in advance.  Albeit an educated decision (read:guess).  

The bright side IMHO, is some sheeple who would ordinarily line up and offer their arm will realize a flu shot is not needed by a large majority of the -healthy- population.

I am a firm believer in developing your own natural immunity to virus.  Inoculations & antibiotics aren't always the best way to prevent/cure illness.

[adjusting collar on flamesuit]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The way I feel about it is, if they want one, they should get one. I think the mental aspect of this is being overlooked. If we gave those that wanted a flu shot a simple shot of sterile saline, I bet that would do as much good as an actual flu shot in most cases. I'm betting, however, that the shortage won't have much bearing, statistically, on overall flu cases in the US.

The thing that really pisses me off about this whole thing is the way the media are spinning this. They're making it seem like if you're elderly or "high risk" and you don't get a flu shot, you will DIE, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00. People got along just fine without flu shots for a LONG time before they became available.

The wife talked me into getting one since I got sick last fall and was sick, basically, the whole winter. Myself, I don't think it will make much difference. We'll see.

Bub
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
You're right about the media...and the Prez BETTER get a hold of the situation...this could hurt him in FLA.  

What you NEVER hear reported is that each year, it's just a GUESS with the vaccine as to what strains we'll see...so the vaccine for this year could be totally useless to the dominant strain we end up with this season.  

And Kerry is just lying through his teeth when he blames Bush for this...but what else is new.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The way I feel about it is, if they want one, they should get one. I think the mental aspect of this is being overlooked. If we gave those that wanted a flu shot a simple shot of sterile saline, I bet that would do as much good as an actual flu shot in most cases.

Not likely. Placebo effect is a clear phenomenon but it won't keep you from contracting influenza.

I'm betting, however, that the shortage won't have much bearing, statistically, on overall flu cases in the US.

That really cannot be accurately assessed as every year there is a slightly different strain typically, or you mnay have years with a couple of different strains, incl Flu B.

The thing that really pisses me off about this whole thing is the way the media are spinning this. They're making it seem like if you're elderly or "high risk" and you don't get a flu shot, you will DIE, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00. People got along just fine without flu shots for a LONG time before they became available.

People die from influenza every year. Oftentimes these are people at or near the end of life and something is going to kill them. But if it were you, or your parent, etc you would probably like them to have an extra year or two, or more, of life.

Further, vaccination will result in less people spreading the virus. We quashed the outbreak last year pretty quickly with vaccination and public health efforts.

The wife talked me into getting one since I got sick last fall and was sick, basically, the whole winter. Myself, I don't think it will make much difference. We'll see.

Bub

Influenza is not typically very subtle in most people. The vaccine will not prevent you from getting sick "alot" but it will offer at least some partial protection from influenza, perhaps total protection. We also have useful antivirals for influenza now but they must be used early.

You should not have recieved a vaccination this year form what you have told me so far.

If you are sick alot I offer these options under advisement:

1]multivitamin daily
2]Excercise!!!!!!!
3]learn to keep your hands out of your face,esp eyes.
4]Avoid sick people to some degree. Infectious dose is everthing and if you are infected with only a small amount of virus you have a much better chance of fighting it off.
5]Quit smoking. Smokers are always much worse with respiratory viruses and are far more likely to contract a secondary bacterial pneumonia.

6]If you develop influenza get treatment EARLY. If you wait, only symptomatic treatment is useful and that not much. The sooner you get on antivirals the better. If you are a smoker doNOT delay treatment! Most of you have no idea how much greater the risk is for smokers.

Symptoms of influenza:::::::
very rapid onset unlike colds, etc
Chest congestion
cough
fever and chills
fatigue
body aches

Some people get some sore throat. vomiting, even diarrhea but these are not typical.
Influenza IS NOT the stomach flu. They are entirely different illnesses.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#4]
We should really stop immunitations altogether.  I mean, who has even heard of those diseases?  Other than the third world countires without immunizations that get those diseases all the time.

The flu vaccine is as good at inferring immunity as catching the flu and suffering for a week.  The flu shot helps decrease the number of carriers of the flu and thus decreases the risk of catching the flu for those people who might die from it, like the elderly, the very young, and those with chronic illness.  I already got my shot this year before they realized how short the supply was.  

And if I hear ONE MORE TIME about how someone never gets the flu and then they got the flu shot and caught the flu, I'm gonna scream.  The flu shot fools your body into thinking you caught a mild strain of the flu, so it reacts just like it would as if you really did.   If it didn't, it wouldn't confer any immunity to you.  You did not catch the flu.  Don't spread misinformation.  [/preemptive rant]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top