Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:32:41 AM EDT
I swear if I fell into a coma in 1985 and woke up today, turned on the TV and watched Leno, they had Duran Duran on. Apparently the original band is all together again and the sound has NOT changed. I would think that I didnt miss anything in that coma.

But MAN if I could rewind back to the 80's... sheeeeet, best time of my lifee
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I think all the music they have on the TV show Nip/Tuck is from teh 80s
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, that was some good shit back then.  I quit caring about "modern music" about the time MTV stopped playing music videos.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yup, that was some good shit back then.  I quit caring about "modern music" about the time MTV stopped playing music videos.

MTV used to play music?? Next you are gonna tell me paul McCartney was in a band before "Wings"
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MTV used to play music?? Next you are gonna tell me paul McCartney was in a band before "Wings"

Yeah, trying telling that to some young punk and they won't believe you!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Now I am confused.  Wasn't 'Wings' a show about a Massachusetts airport, with a hot short-order restaruant waitress?

And wasn't it a show about military aircraft on the Discovery Channel?

Signed,
A young whippersnapper who has never heard of the band 'Wings' but knows who Paul McCartney is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#7]
My kids.... I feel so bad for them. If they knew HALF of the stuff I did back in the 80's they would say... NO WAY. But dad... You are a dork! There is no way that they can have the life that I did. Once in a while I tell them a story here and there of what we did. (Of course the "G" rated stuff) and my oldest say "Oh MAN! that sucks, I wish I could do that"

Lets face it. the 80's were fun and I wouldnt trade it for anything. I just hope that when we leave this earth and go on to our next life, we get a video tape of the best parts of our lives that we get to watch again.

Of course ... those times did have things that happened I wish never did.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm happy about the 80's music, I grew up on it.  Most of the songs were about happy things not someone whining about how bad everything is or bitching about how angry they are like today.  However, back in the late 60's early 70's Star Trek women wore microskirts.  Bellbottoms, platform shoes, and everything else came back around yet I am STILL WAITING ON THE DAMN MICROSKIRTS!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course ... those times did have things that happened I wish never did.

Im sorry to hear that things like that happened to you...I always was told the 80's was a very androgynous period.

WHO TOLD???
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Every year Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin publishes what it calls "The Mindset List"--fun facts and figures about the incoming crop of freshmen so professors will be able to relate to their new students.

Beloit says the list is a reminder that the world view of today's new college students is significantly different from the intellectual framework of those students who entered only a few years earlier. Put another way, it's a reminder that you are getting on in years.

Today's college freshmen were born in 1986, the same year that Chernobyl melted down and the Challenger exploded. Clint Eastwood was elected mayor of Carmel, Calif., and the Soviets were bogged down for the seventh year of frustration in Afghanistan. Domestically, we were preoccupied by the Iran Contra scandal and internationally, the Iran-Iraq war continued to reveal a disturbing list of atrocities.

So to better understand how the class of 2008 thinks, read this and feel your age:
Most students entering college this fall were born in 1986.
Desi Arnaz, Orson Welles, Roy Orbison, Ted Bundy, Ayatollah Khomeini, and Cary Grant have always been dead.
"Heeeere's Johnny!" is a scary greeting from Jack Nicholson, not a warm welcome from Ed McMahon.
The Energizer bunny has always been going and going and going.
Large fine-print ads for prescription drugs have always appeared in magazines.

Photographs have always been processed in an hour or less.
They never got a chance to drink 7-Up Gold, Crystal Pepsi, or Apple Slice.
Baby Jessica could be a classmate.
Parents may have been reading "The Bourne Supremacy" or "It" as they rocked them in their cradles.
Alan Greenspan has always been setting the nation's financial direction.

The U.S. has always been a Prozac nation.
They have always enjoyed the comfort of pleather.
Harry has always known Sally.
They never saw Roseanne Roseannadanna live on "Saturday Night Live."
There has always been a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They never ate a McSub at McD's.
There has always been a Comedy Channel.
Bill and Ted have always been on an excellent adventure.
They were never tempted by smokeless cigarettes.
Robert Downey, Jr. has always been in trouble.

Martha Stewart has always been cooking up something with someone.
They have always been comfortable with gay characters on television.
Mike Tyson has always been a contender.
The government has always been proposing we go to Mars, and it has always been deemed too expensive.
There have never been any Playboy Clubs.

There have always been night games at Wrigley Field.
Rogaine has always been available for the follicularly challenged.
They never saw USA Today or the Christian Science Monitor as a TV news program.
Computers have always suffered from viruses.
We have always been mapping the human genome.

Politicians have always used rock music for theme songs.
Network television has always struggled to keep up with cable.
O'Hare has always been the most delay-plagued airport in the U.S.
Ivan Boesky has never sold stock.
Toll-free 800 phone numbers have always spelled out catchy phrases.

Bethlehem has never been a place of peace at Christmas.
Episcopal women bishops have always threatened the foundation of the Anglican Church.
Svelte Oprah has always dominated afternoon television; who was Phil Donahue anyway?
They never flew on People Express.
AZT has always been used to treat AIDS.

The international community has always been installing or removing the leader of Haiti.
Oliver North has always been a talk show host and news commentator.
They have suffered through airport security systems since they were in strollers.
They have done most of their search for the right college online.
Aspirin has always been used to reduce the risk of a heart attack.

They were spared the TV ads for Zamfir and his panpipes.
Castro has always been an aging politician in a suit.
There have always been non-stop flights around the world without refueling.
Cher hasn't aged a day.
M.A.S.H. was a game: Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#12]
whats funny is that i've been listening to a bunch of 80s music lately.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanx for rubbing in what I missed....I don't remember anything prior to 85....beacause I wasn't born yet.

Although I am greatful to the 80s for giving us Johnny Ramone, Ronald Reagen, SDI, and Burt Rutan I have to say the only thing I think I would like beter then then now is the lack of machine gun and import bans.

I mean, it was a time of shitty cars, shitty coffee, and lack of technology....and who would have guessed that the world was a safer place during the cold war, esspecially now that we know by and large the Russians bluffed their way through it.

I like when I am just fine, and am sure that things are just going to get better. (assuming no Preisident Kerry)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#14]
most 80's music sucks but the rock stuff can be decent.  

apple slice pop?  i don't remember that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:15:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Very early 80s music was marked by the crash of the major label music industry. The rise of the indie label ensured maximum control over creativity, which is why many of the bands sound as current today as they sounded 20 years ago.

20 years.... 20 years since David Lee Roth told everyone to Jump...  Damn, I'm getting old...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember the 80's fondly. It was the decade when I was a kid who just had fun and none of the stresses of day to day living I now know. The music was good. Movies were good. We had Reagan. There was no AWB. And in those days I actually spent my spare time doing something worthwhile because I wasn't consumed by the freaking internet in those days. LOL.  Yeah, the 80's were alright.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#17]
the most popular radio station where I live is one who plays 80's music.

Apple Slice, I loved that stuff!!

Anyone remember Apple Kool-Aid and Bionic Bits?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ditto. Especially 1987. 1985 and 1986 were pretty good too. Hell, the whole decade was awesome.

Things I miss about the 1980's....

$300 dollar AR's, and there wasn't a ban
Only gays who fucked monkeys had AIDs, the rest of us weren't worried about it
I bought a 1970 GTO for $900- and it ran like a raped ape.
Iron Maiden, Dio, Metallica hadn't gone pop
Rap was some sort of weird thing no one really played
Reagen
Busting CISPES balls all over campus
Beer? Yes, I will have some
U-2 was young and good.
I could see my toes.
The world was my burrito, I wasn't sick of everything.
Road trips to DC to lobby the Senate to get Stingers for the Afghans.
Pretty girls without worry lines around their eyes.
Every Friday night we had a party at my house (mine and my four roomates) with a house band and a chilled keg......aaaaahhhhhhh....solving the worlds problems, arguing politics, art, religion, 9mm vs .45......
Bringing our rifles to high school to go shooting after class-and no one cared.
Shooting frogs in that pond in the woods behind URI, and going to class covered in mud and frog guts.

There's more. damned, now I'm all nostalgic and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:20:55 AM EDT
[#19]
The best thing about Grand Theft Auto Vice City is the 80's themed radio stations you can listen to while going about your carjacking and headcracking.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm happy about the 80's music, I grew up on it.  Most of the songs were about happy things not someone whining about how bad everything is or bitching about how angry they are like today.  However, back in the late 60's early 70's Star Trek women wore microskirts.  Bellbottoms, platform shoes, and everything else came back around yet I am STILL WAITING ON THE DAMN MICROSKIRTS!

uh, dude? where have you been? microskirts ARE back!

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Every year Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin publishes what it calls "The Mindset List"--fun facts and figures about the incoming crop of freshmen so professors will be able to relate to their new students.

Beloit says the list is a reminder that the world view of today's new college students is significantly different from the intellectual framework of those students who entered only a few years earlier. Put another way, it's a reminder that you are getting on in years.

Today's college freshmen were born in 1986, the same year that Chernobyl melted down and the Challenger exploded. Clint Eastwood was elected mayor of Carmel, Calif., and the Soviets were bogged down for the seventh year of frustration in Afghanistan. Domestically, we were preoccupied by the Iran Contra scandal and internationally, the Iran-Iraq war continued to reveal a disturbing list of atrocities.

So to better understand how the class of 2008 thinks, read this and feel your age:
Most students entering college this fall were born in 1986.
Desi Arnaz, Orson Welles, Roy Orbison, Ted Bundy, Ayatollah Khomeini, and Cary Grant have always been dead.
"Heeeere's Johnny!" is a scary greeting from Jack Nicholson, not a warm welcome from Ed McMahon.
The Energizer bunny has always been going and going and going.
Large fine-print ads for prescription drugs have always appeared in magazines.

Photographs have always been processed in an hour or less.
They never got a chance to drink 7-Up Gold, Crystal Pepsi, or Apple Slice.
Baby Jessica could be a classmate. Have you guys seen her as of late??? she's freaking hot!! THe whole screen door huricaine thing doesn't even come close to enough!!
Parents may have been reading "The Bourne Supremacy" or "It" as they rocked them in their cradles.
Alan Greenspan has always been setting the nation's financial direction.

The U.S. has always been a Prozac nation.
They have always enjoyed the comfort of pleather.
Harry has always known Sally.
They never saw Roseanne Roseannadanna live on "Saturday Night Live."
There has always been a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They never ate a McSub at McD's.
There has always been a Comedy Channel.
Bill and Ted have always been on an excellent adventure.
They were never tempted by smokeless cigarettes.
Robert Downey, Jr. has always been in trouble.

Martha Stewart has always been cooking up something with someone.
They have always been comfortable with gay characters on television.
Mike Tyson has always been a contender.
The government has always been proposing we go to Mars, and it has always been deemed too expensive.
There have never been any Playboy Clubs.

There have always been night games at Wrigley Field.
Rogaine has always been available for the follicularly challenged.
They never saw USA Today or the Christian Science Monitor as a TV news program.
Computers have always suffered from viruses.
We have always been mapping the human genome.

Politicians have always used rock music for theme songs.
Network television has always struggled to keep up with cable.
O'Hare has always been the most delay-plagued airport in the U.S.
Ivan Boesky has never sold stock.
Toll-free 800 phone numbers have always spelled out catchy phrases.

Bethlehem has never been a place of peace at Christmas.
Episcopal women bishops have always threatened the foundation of the Anglican Church.
Svelte Oprah has always dominated afternoon television; who was Phil Donahue anyway?
They never flew on People Express.
AZT has always been used to treat AIDS.

The international community has always been installing or removing the leader of Haiti.
Oliver North has always been a talk show host and news commentator.
They have suffered through airport security systems since they were in strollers.
They have done most of their search for the right college online.
Aspirin has always been used to reduce the risk of a heart attack.

They were spared the TV ads for Zamfir and his panpipes.
Castro has always been an aging politician in a suit.
There have always been non-stop flights around the world without refueling.
Cher hasn't aged a day.
M.A.S.H. was a game: Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
uh, dude? where have you been? microskirts ARE back!

As micro as Star Trek skirts???  Where?  Everything seems to be going lower instead of higher.  You must forgive me but I live in Alaska where fashion does not penetrate nor is cared about and the less you have on the colder you are.

I beg you sir for a picture or two, and have pity on me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#23]
The funny thing is, a lot of current "punk" music sounds just like '80s music!
They even sing about the '80s. Go download buy 1985 by Bowling For Soup- you'll be laughing your asses off!

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I like 80's music.  I don't like 80's fashion.  I'm not wasting my money on crap that I could dig out of my mom's closet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't wait until Kill Them All is on classic rock stations .
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#26]
"...and Springsteen, Madonna, way before Nirvana.
U2, and Blondie, and music still on MTV..

I LOVE THE 80's
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
"...and Springsteen, Madonna, way before Nirvana.
U2, and Blondie, and music still on MTV..

I LOVE THE 80's

Where's the miniskirt, made of snakeskin?
Who's the other guy singing in Van Halen?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I hate that song . It makes me feel old .;(
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I borrowed a truck from my buddy last week to help the GF move.  I rag on on this dude all the time about his musical tastes.  I looked in his visor CD holder, and found the new Duran Duran CD AND an ABBA cd.  I spent the rest of the day deathly afraid that I would wreck the truck, and the emergency folks and the popo would think that shit belonged to ME hehe.  Seriously.  

I hate Duran Duran with a passion...too bad old Simon didn't go down with the ship during that regatta years back.  I'm quite sure he went down while ON the boat however.  

Simon LeBon is why it's okay to kill and eat the English.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I hate that song . It makes me feel old .;(

That song is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I just don't like people who write songs about things we already know existed.  He's not saying how he felt about the time, he's just rattling off a list of things that we all know about so his band can have a hit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#31]
The 80s were bedda bedda good to me.  

I still listen to 80s rock when I get a yen for it. I still have the old Tesla, Skid Row, etc., stuff I listened to then. When metal ruled the world... I recall thinking "Can music GET any better???"

Yeah, stop laughing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I was out at a club on Friday night that played nothing but remixed '80s music.  From Depeche Mode to Def Leopard to The Smiths.  It was the original songs, but somehow sped up or something. The club was called Automatic Slims.  They seem to be trying to play up this whole Von Dutch trucker hat white trash thing (they even had an aluminum 5th wheel trailer in the back).  We went in early so I didn't realize how popular it was, but when we came out there was a velvet rope and a line around the block.  I will say that the doormen did a pretty good job 'cause virtually every chick there was hot as hell.  Evidently they also have one on South Beach that's been there a bit longer.

I'm still not sure how I feel about them capitalizing off my white trash heritage though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn....the 80's were a complete blurr.  I was in my early 20's, barely making my bills, worried as hell about getting laid off because I was the FNG in the telco, part of an ongoing federal wire tapping investigation, college classes at night, my dear wife wanted a baby in the worst way.....shit I wasn't even grown up, how the hell could I be a father?  They had music in the 80's?  Who had time to listen to the radio?

Glad you folks had fun then.  

I'm having mine now....mid life, good kids who are mostly grown, disposable income....many guns....life is good in 2004 when George W. will be re-elected as my President
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Eighties totally Sucked ASSSSSSSSSSSS!! Mindless stupid POP music by madonna and michael Jackson, prince & milli vanilli. Gimmie cool rock from 70's and 90's anytime! Only thing good was computers and, and, umm. Well just remember this, I knew that that crap music could'nt last. So when Nirvana got big and all the "disco" stations in '92 had to start playing them as well as pearl Jam etc. I knew the pendulum had swung back to "cool." So for those who hate 2000's Music (who does'nt?) Just remember, you can't keep cool down forever!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Eighties totally Sucked ASSSSSSSSSSSS!! Mindless stupid POP music by madonna and michael Jackson, prince & milli vanilli.  

WE AREN'T TALKING THAT SHIT. Every generation has it's crap pop.
We're talking Iron Maiden, Tesla, Metallica, B-52's lol, Ramones, Rush- the good stuff.
The 1980's marked the end of the industrial age and the beginning fothe technology age, and we had front row seats.
Steel tanks to the Chobham armor of the Abrams.
The end of the USSR (hopefully).
Miami Vice, for God's sake, man!
Cheesy John Cusack movies.
Dude, I paid $900 for a 350 horsepower muscle car!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#38]
The 80's were great. I spent my teen years in the 70's and my 20's in the 80's, so I kind of got the best of both decades.

Of course, for the most part the economy sucked, but we were young, so who cares?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The 80s were a LOT better than the hippie 70s and the grunge 90s.

But the hair styles/clothes got a lot easier in the 90's.    

Much less hair spray/gell/mouse, fewer boy/pixi haircuts on girls, and the clothes were the "I just fell out of the dryer" look.  Oh and more cotton, less spandex - many women, and all men should avoid spandex.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

IBTL!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not going to date myself but.........................................I love to listen to the music of the 70's and 80's.

Some how, and I can't pin point when, Rock'n'Roll died.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The 80s were a LOT better than the hippie 70s and the grunge 90s.

But the hair styles/clothes got a lot easier in the 90's.    

Much less hair spray/gell/mouse, fewer boy/pixi haircuts on girls, and the clothes were the "I just fell out of the dryer" look.  Oh and more cotton, less spandex - many women, and all men should avoid spandex.

Ummm I had a few girlfrineds into the spandex minis so I'm gonna go ahead and use my executive ceto privlledge regarding your opinion. Thongs and spandex made the 80s great.

Not on MEN though!!!!   I'll agree with you that spandex can be pulled off quite well by a woman who is in good shape (I had quite the collection of minis myself in my day) but MEN should never wear spandex.  That is an abomination.  But then, in the 80's my biggest gripe was men who wear more make-up than me.  I am not a lesbian and I didn't want to go out with a man who was prettier  than me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#46]
we have TWO classic rock stations that play kill em all.

god bless the '80s
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Of course, for the most part the economy sucked, but we were young, so who cares?

I dont kwow where you were but the Economy of the 80's rocked!  We started out in a recession courtesy of the Carter administration in the late 70s - then the Tech boom really started going and it kept getting better and better.  Heck even 'Black Tuesday' was just a road bump in the big picture.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I swear if I fell into a coma in 1985 and woke up today, turned on the TV and watched Leno, they had Duran Duran on. Apparently the original band is all together again and the sound has NOT changed. I would think that I didnt miss anything in that coma.

LOL

I'm listenin' to Planet P's "Why me?" right now.

The '80's were "Berry good to me" lol

For the youngsters here, if I might suggest a few tunes....(?)

Planet P (Project)..........Why Me?
Russ Ballard.................Voices
Naked eyes.........When the lights go out
ANYTHING by The Cars
Berlin.....The metro
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBTL!!!!!

HAHA . I knew that was going to happen.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I like 80's music.  I don't like 80's fashion.  I'm not wasting my money on crap that I could dig out of my mom's closet.

...but you could raid her closet and make a killing on "VINTAGE"!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top