Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2004 9:13:37 PM EDT
Sunday was the last day I am going to drink pop (or soda for you goofy folk) for a long time.

I have a bet that i can quit chewing by thanksgiving. ($100) --- been chewing for 6 years now, can a day for about 3 years.

How screwed am i???
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What do chewing (tobacco?) have to do with drinking pop?

I'm confused (as usual).
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You are fucked.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm confused (as usual).

nothing really, except for the fact that they are both not very good for the body.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You are fucked.

awwww shit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Once you hit the rock thats all you want, cigs, chew and food will go on the back burner.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
'pop'....people actually say that? or should i say, straight people actually say that?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm confused (as usual).

nothing really, except for the fact that they are both not very good for the body.

If a bet is on the line, won't you jsut be making it HARDER on yourself to try to quite two things at once?

I know that when my dad quite smoking, he started chewing gum like crazy - and then gradually stopped the gum. Maybe guzzling diet soda (and running to the bathroom all the time ) would help distract you from wanting to chew?

I dunno ... i got nothing, since I've never tried chewing tobacco.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
'pop'....people actually say that? or should i say, straight people actually say that?

"soda" for you down there. sorry.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Nicotin doesn't care if you smoke or chew to get it into your body.....
Best of luck!
You can do it......
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Once you hit the rock thats all you want, cigs, chew and food will go on the back burner.

Yeah...get on the PIPE, dude...lose weight and feel great!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm confused (as usual).

If a bet is on the line, won't you jsut be making it HARDER on yourself to try to quite two things at once?

I know that when my dad quite smoking, he started chewing gum like crazy - and then gradually stopped the gum. Maybe guzzling diet soda (and running to the bathroom all the time ) would help distract you from wanting to chew?

I dunno ... i got nothing, since I've never tried chewing tobacco.

not really, because when 100 bucks doesn't flow in and out of your life like water from a sink, then it gives something to work for.

besides i was contemplating quiting anyways.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I Sure am glad to see that *I* am NOT the ONLY Drunk guy tonight
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Use the patch.  I just quit a 2 pack a day 20 year habit.  It wasn't easy, but it was easier with the patch.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Over the years I have made a few bets with smokers that they will not be able to refrain from smoking.

I have won EVERY ONE of those bets.

It's EASY MONEY.

But I wish you the best of luck.  That shit is mondo addictive.

My dad chewed most of his life.

My best friend has also.  He quit a few times, but is at it again.

He has nice yellow rotton looking teeth that the ladies just LOVE.

Good luck to you, at least you're trying.

Zen
"This is my rifle there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yeah, and Couch instead of Sofa and Tenis Shose instead of Sneakers.

You got a problem with that?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

awww damn.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Since money is a motivating factor I'll bet you TWO HUNDRED you can't keep chewing and mail me pictures of the cancer that rots your mouth!! Mail me your pinky and it's worth a grand. Hell, I'll keep money flowing in and out of your life as long as you're willing to injure yourself.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Since money is a motivating factor I'll bet you TWO HUNDRED you can't keep chewing and mail me pictures of the cancer that rots your mouth!! Mail me your pinky and it's worth a grand. Hell, I'll keep money flowing in and out of your life as long as you're willing to injure yourself.

this is exactly why i am quiting.

even if there was no money involved, i would still quit. I'm doing it for myself, not for anyone else. I will save tons of money in the process.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah, especially ones from the midwest.  

Not that MT is the midwest, I'm just saying the word "pop" is big in the midwest.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]
... I chewed tobacco as regularly and as long as you did

... I quit one month ago Sunday - I'm never going back
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
... I chewed tobacco as regularly and as long as you did

... I quit one month ago Sunday - I'm never going back

good to know someone has done it. Good job!!!

guess i had better change my Avitar.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, especially ones from the midwest.  

Not that MT is the midwest, I'm just saying the word "pop" is big in the midwest.

Yup - people definitely say "pop" here in Missourah !
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#25]
All depends on how strong of a person you are, IMO.  My grandfather is one tough son of a b*tch.  He smoked for 20 years until my grandmother finally asked him to quit.  He threw his cigarettes away and never thought about them again.  The same can be said for my other grandfather and drinking.

I guess it all comes down to how badly you want it and for whom you're doing this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#26]
You will save some money.  You won't have to go to the dentist as often.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone who uses the word "pop" to describe SODA is definitely fucked in the head, tobacco use notwithstanding....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I gave up caffeine maybe 6 months ago.  I drank a lot every day.  I quit cold turkey.  I thought I was goign to die but I did it.

You can do it.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Anyone who uses the word "pop" to describe SODA is definitely fucked in the head, tobacco use notwithstanding....

hey!

that was way outta line!!!!

tobacco is NOT nonwithstanding.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Here in Montana, we have always called it "pop".

Anyone who uses the term "Soda" is looked at like they are an alien.

"Pop" is short for "soda pop" of course.  (the new slang)

We are just ahead of the rest of you who never leaned to use the new term for it.  LOL

I mean, ..... catch up to the 20th century already!

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

We are just ahead of the rest of you who never leaned to use the new term for it.  LOL

Zen

I used the term Coke there, Im in Georgia its Coke even its its really Pepsi
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Zen

It called pop in Minnesota too

Zen, Stock up on Advil, and drink lots of water
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Zen

it's way to bad. us Montanans are just ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#34]
BIG TIME!!!! What were you thinking??? You were wasted werent you....
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

nope. that just may be the sad part, too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#36]
You might start out by changing your avatar

GM
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You might start out by changing your avatar

photos.ar15.com/Galleries/Avatars/49726.jpg

GM

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Once you get off pop for a couple weeks, you'll never want it again. In college I was poor and I would get free water with all meals. After a while pop tastes like thick syrup. To this day I drink only diet pop because it tastes better to me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope. that just may be the sad part, too.

thats too bad, that would have made a good excuse if you dont pull it off....
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Stay busy.  You won't miss it and you won't need a patch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#41]
You can quit.

I recommend not quitting the soda at the same time.

You're going to have enough withdrawal on your plate going cold turkey from nicotine, I don't see the need to compound that by withdrawing from caffeine and sugar as well........

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Good luck.

I would recommend going to either non-caffeinated diet soda or just diet soda till you've been off the snuff for a while.

As bvmjethead said, your going to be going through enough trying to get rid of the nicotene.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#43]
A realllllllllllllllllllllly tough (or masochistic) guy would try to quit masturbating at the same time :D

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#44]
mtechgunman,

I like a bit of Cope from time to time.  Unless your bet involves total and complete abstinence, I would recommend that you overcome the psychological (and perhaps the most vital) addiction by allowing yourself a chaw on special occasions.

I like to have some chew with the boys on camping excursions or bbqs, for instance.  I try to leave it at that.

Works for some.  For others, its all or nothing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Zen

I used the term Coke there, Im in Georgia its Coke even its its really Pepsi

"Coke" as a generic term for a carbonated soft drink is just wrong.

I speak fluent Pittsburghese - my mawm grew up in Sossahd, and a chipped ham sammich is a good thing to eat after you red up the garawge.  A bawttle of pawp with it would be nice (or wooter if there's no pawp).

"Pop" (pronounced "pawp") is a carbonated soft drink.
"Soda" (no special pronounciation) is "pop" with ice cream in it.
"Beer" (pronounced "Arhn Citih Burr") is almost always awful but everyone drinks it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#46]
DK: I grew up in St. Louis and it was always "soda".

But then again, everything else has changed back there in the 16 years I've been gone so this wouldn't surprise me either.

mtech: Good fucking luck, man. I have both smoked and chewed (not at the same time) and my opinion is: It's 5X harder to quit chew than cigarettes.

I've been nicotine/tobacco free since 11/28/03 and when I actually quit dipping in October of last year it was driving me so crazy that I actually started smoking for a month because quitting smokes is FAR easier than dip. Think about it-a smoke lasts MAYBE 10 minutes. When I dipped, that pinch lasted me anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. Your body gets SATURATED with nicotine.

I'm not trying to be the harbinger of doom here-it's just that I'm not gonna sit here and blow smoke up your ass (no pun intended). What you're gonna do is DOUBLE TOUGH. Make no mistake about it.

My only advice is: Be strong and stay active. Let me say stay active again. When I quit I gained about 20lb that I didn't need anyway and I'm just now starting to lose it nearly a year later.

If you need help don't hesitate to ask for it here. I think it worked for piccolo and others.

Again, good luck, stay strong and stay tough. You're making the correct decision and you'll like the results.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Sunday was the last day I am going to drink pop (or soda for you goofy folk) for a long time.

I have a bet that i can quit chewing by thanksgiving. ($100) --- been chewing for 6 years now, can a day for about 3 years.

How screwed am i???

I quit caffeine for New Years several years ago. Coffee, chocolate, pop.. anything with caffiene. (I did stay with 7up, etc). I'd been ingesting copious amounts of caffeine per day... at least half dozen cups coffee and lots of pepsi too. So there was quite a bit to withdraw from. After about 3 days, I had the worst *()*#$ing headache in the world that lasted 2 full days. Imagine hangover from HELL. But after that I had no problems at all until I changed my mind about 6 months later and went back to the good stuff. Just not near as heavily as I once had. Now 3 or 4 cups of coffee a week is the norm.
Good luck.

You'll have to change your avatar if you quit the Copenhagen!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
A realllllllllllllllllllllly tough (or masochistic) guy would try to quit masturbating at the same time :D

I agree
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top