Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 7:46:19 PM EDT
Hey all. What would the features of your ideal bayonet be? Primary edge up or down when afixed? Primary function as a field knife, secondary as afixed bayonet? Carbon or Stainless? Drop point, spear or tanto? recurve or straight? Give me ideas. Im thinking about comissioning someone to make me one to purchase as an OSUT graduation present to myself.

John
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
One that fires a bullet
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey all. What would the features of your ideal bayonet be? 16" bladePrimary edge up or down when afixed?Both Primary function as a field knife, secondary as afixed bayonet? it's primary function is as a bayonet, secondary function is being a sword Carbon or Stainless?stainless Drop point, spear or tanto?spear recurve or straight?straight with a full length tapering fuller Give me ideas. Im thinking about comissioning someone to make me one to purchase as an OSUT graduation present to myself.

John

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
sharp enough to shave with, and not brittle.

everything else is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
One that comes complete w/ mounted Mooslim Terrorist!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
chainsaw bayonet hainsaw.gif
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the latests US military Bayonet?  the M9?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
honestly? a full tang version of the sog desert dagger in stainless steel. that's really it. That'd be the ultimate bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
honestly? a full tang version of the sog desert dagger in stainless steel. that's really it. That'd be the ultimate bayonet.

Got a pic of it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
someone photoshop a pic of a lightsaber on teh end of an AR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Intersting note, Japan has a martial art called Jukendo which is devoted to the bayonet. Very much like Kendo only instead of mock swords they use mock rifles and practice slashes and thrusts according to Kendo rules.

Seriously ???

That's fascinating and bizarre at the same time!!!  

... btw, I just got back from kendo practice about an hour ago  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#13]
The ideal bayonet?

Any bayonet that's buried to the hilt in the stomach of any Islamic fanatic.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Anything with teflon coating.  Keeps the enemy from sticking when you roast them on the camp fire.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
My ideal bayonet comes with an endless supply of ammo. That way, I never need the bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.sogknives.com/Images/fixed/desdagger/desdagger.jpg

That ain't much different than a stainless M7 bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My features that I would like:

Fixed blade obviously, probably modified recurve (Think Benchmade Skirmish) on the primary edge, with a modified spear/tanto point, with the spear part on the primary edge, and the tanto coming back up to the secondary edge, with a sharpened half back edge, but with the lower back half of the blade flat so I can choke up and use fine control. (Thumb on spine.) Positive retention is a must. (Read: Grippy somewhat thick handle, perhaps conforming.) Don't want a real pretty steel, Id like to beat the hell outta this knife. (Bead blasted finish or some dark finish.) Primary edge needs to afix facing down.

I do like that SOG, and I hate the M9, I have one....just doesn't feel real quality. It has had QC issues throughout its entire service life from what I'm told.

John
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey all. What would the features of your ideal bayonet be? 16" bladePrimary edge up or down when afixed?Both Primary function as a field knife, secondary as afixed bayonet? it's primary function is as a bayonet, secondary function is being a sword Carbon or Stainless?stainless Drop point, spear or tanto?spear recurve or straight?straight with a full length tapering fuller Give me ideas. Im thinking about comissioning someone to make me one to purchase as an OSUT graduation present to myself.

John

image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/84030_ts.JPG?cell=400,400&cvt=jpeg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...M1905's are getting more and more expensive, especially ones with nice original wood grips like the pic.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Those sword ones might not be good on a M16 or M4...

John
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#22]
bump for weekend.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
someone photoshop a pic of a lightsaber on teh end of an AK. hr

rifle taken from Scottman's trip to the museum.
Red because everyone knows underfolders are evilhttp://oregonstate.edu/~brokowsj/light_saber_AK.JPG
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]
preferably NO serrations. Serrations tend to increase your chances of getting the bayo stuck in the chest bone. The germans from WWI have experience with that (sawback bayo). I would imagine that the degree sharpness isn't critical, but a good strong metal is.

Personally, when I go on drive-by bayonettings, I prefer a blade with the edge pointing up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm curious, what difference does it make if the edge is point up (like an AK) or down (like an AR)?  Is there a purpose one way or the other, or is it just a convenience thing?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Sharp, pointy, and a minimum of 16" of cold steel.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, Id imagine, (not having been trained in the use thereof - yet) that it would have something to do with the manner in which you are able to yank up or shove down once you stick it in, and also with the mechanical strength of the attachement to the weapon.

John
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Believe it or not, the French MAS-36 bayonet. Cruciform, long, but unfortunately French. This one is actually 4 sided and has a point, unlike the 3 sided screwdriver tipped chicom SKS and Type 56 folding bayonets. Bayonet ain't supposed to be no knife, and cruciform makes a nastier wound. A + shaped cross section, 14" long blade, full tang, G-10 or Micarta handle.
Hmm, or no handle, just an M1913 picatinny mount, or a socket mounted on the picatinny rail so's the Bayonet don't innerfear, I mean interfere with the accuracy of the barrel. Ooooooooo, you could mount one on ALL 4 RAILS!!!
I'm actually gonna make one of these, from an old MAS -36 bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
If you are going to carry weight, leave the bayonet and take an extra magazine.  As long as I have cartridges, there is not going to be any bayonet fighting.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
One that fires a bullet

MWAAAHAHAHAHA! I PRESENT TO YOU THE G.R.A.D AOW BAYONET MWAHAHAHAHA!

Now you can act like your fixing your bayonet and shoot somone six times

www.impactguns.com/store/grad_mb16f.html
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One that fires a bullet

MWAAAHAHAHAHA! I PRESENT TO YOU THE G.R.A.D AOW BAYONET MWAHAHAHAHA!

Now you can act like your fixing your bayonet and shoot somone six times

www.impactguns.com/store/grad_mb16f.html

WOAH! NOW THAT IS SWEEETTT!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:13:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#33]
i think the bayonet should be a lightweight simple affair, so that if it gets lost or broken it's no big deal.  (the soldier should carry a quality utility knife to back it up.)  yes, it means the soldier will have to carry two knives, but the hardware necessary to mount a bayonet compromises the blade design somewhat.  i'd rather see the soldier have a quality belt knife than a crappy *do it all* bayonet like the M-9 that weighs a ton.

i like the SKS bayonet for a no frills pig sticker.  much less likely to get stuck and very sturdy.  there were some fighting dirks with this type of blade used during WWII.  I've thopugh about buying a bunch of old SKS bayonets and putting handles on them.

Yeah, they dont have an edge, but they do have a very long blade for thier size and weight.  gives you more reach than, say, a kabar.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#34]
+1 on the MAS36 "+" style or SKS/Mosin Nagant "T" spike.  The AK wire cutter bayo is interesting but is a jack of all trades/master of none.  I'd rather have a dedicated set of wire cutters, a fighting knife & a cruciform bayo for the rifle.  
Or just ditch the empty/hopelessly jammed rifle & grab your E-tool with one or more edges filed down.  An improvised axe vs an improvised half assed spear.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#35]
After stabbing some critters with SKS-type bayonets, I'd have to say they suck. They don't cause as rapid of blood loss as a blade and you can't slash with them to improve blood loss.

The integral bayonet on a bolt action MAS that I saw is similar, only thinner. I would nix that too. Besides being too similar to the Chicom spike, It reminds me of the original Springfield 1903 spike bayonet - the one that Teddy Roosevelt snapped in half with a parry.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#36]
long. at least as long as the longer WW2 version for the M1 garand.
a little extra reach is good
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Bayonet vs. Knife are two entirely different animals. The current M9 sucks as a bayonet because they attempted to make a field knife/bayonet - and its not "great" at either task.  A bayonet should be just that - a blade designed as an extension of one's body via the rifle.  A spike bayonet is probably superior to a standard blade for the basic principle of killing - I have no personal experience with bayonet a person - just bayonet training I once did in Basic lol........but I do know the Brits recently used bayonets in the War on Terror when they completely ran out of ammo. And they called a whole LOT of Iraqis doing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top