Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2004 6:21:54 PM EDT
Of course, I'm defining the 'bush' as doing the upscale motel & hotel thing...

Went to a resturant called 'Oyster Catchers' some of you locals might know.  Good stuff, but the typical small portions...

I know that they didn't get a direct hit by any, but I expected to see some remenant of the hurricanes.  I saw nothing...

The expected DriftPunch travel problem this time:  Boeing 757 'anti skid' system failing (discovered pre moving from the gate) and the entire plane having to exit and wait for a replacement after completely boarding.  Perhaps the aircraft types can shed a little light on this.  The pilot said that the 'anti skid' is manidtory because the brakes are on or off, but then he said that regulations would allow it to fly without the 'anti skid' if the overal weight was significantly reduced (way below the current weight).  Was his 'on off' comment a dumbed down for the masses comment describing a system with little feel rather than being full brake or no brake?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Anti-Skid is ABS. You can apply MUCH more braking force with anti-skid on, due to the fact you wont skid. If A.S. is not working, you cannot apply as much braking force, and have to rely on reverse thrust much more. There are many mandatory systems, and when they fail, flight rules change.....

And yes, pilots always dumb down the system talk. Cause its pure jargon BS. Trust me, I know.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
think of the anti-skid system as an antilock brake system. if that system fails, then essentially the pilot is correct, the brakes are either full on or not at all. i'm sure if i'm wrong some of the a&p's will come along and correct me, i'm just a lowly sheetmetal peasant.

John
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to do the antiskid valve inspections, pain in the butt.  Got skydrol in the eye about 1/3 of the time.  

IIRC, you can't apply full breaking with the antiskid inop.

This means your MTOW is reduced, and your start/stop distance is lengthened.

The antiskid would reduce pressure to the brakes depending on degree of lockup of the wheels.  On the long runways, not a big deal if no antiskid, but on a short runway, on a hot day, with a heavy load, you really would like it working.

The preflight probably does an OBD of the system, if all does not check out, either turn it off, or call out the wrenches.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
20 years ago there was a great restaurant near Tampa--the Lemon Tree (???) or something like that.  It had an extensive garden and great food.  I heard it closeda while ago.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, I see...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top