Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2004 1:05:49 PM EDT
So these two Jehovah's witness looking types just knocked on
my door, and right when I was about to dispatch them with the usual
No Thank I dont want your pamphlets and begin to shut the door in
thier face he spouts off with that shit...
"No...Sir, we are doing a census survey for spanish speaking households
do you know of any in your neighborhood?"

WTF is that shit about?
I am wondering if the are actualy Lib's running around canvasing
the neighborhood for the Latin Vote.
There is an army of out there. This shit about a census is BS.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.  Has anyone else had these people come to thier houses?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen this in my neighborhood. Fringe religious groups prey on the hispanics to join their church.

They see the hispanics as an easy mark because many of them have low income and strong religious beliefs.  Combine that with a feeling of belonging and presto, instant congrigation.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No worse than when they sent out a couple thousand census workers at night to count the homeless.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have seen this in my neighborhood. Fringe religious groups prey on the hispanics to join their church.

They see the hispanics as an easy mark because many of them have low income and strong religious beliefs.  Combine that with a feeling of belonging and presto, instant congrigation.

I thought they looked like bible thumpers.
Just didnt seem to make any sence that they were looking only for
spanish speaking households.

Oh well, thnx for the explanation.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not just the JWs but alot of "salesmen" are turning to the "recent immigrant" (read mostly mexican) market.  My wife is from Costa Rica so she speaks spanish too of course.  I used to sic her on the JWs, Mormons, MCI and whatever other salesmen came'a knockin or a'callin and she'd pretend she didn't understand english.  It was great fun for a while but what happend was that they send a spanish speaker to call a few days later.  

BenBob is right in that there's a rich market in these "recent  arrivals".  They spend money like water cause we just give it away via welfare, free emergency medical services etc.  and they love religion 'cause it makes em feel wanted here and helps ease any potential faint feeling of guilt they might have that they are stealing from us.   Which they are.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top