Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 10:34:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Update:    This ad is the most expensive TV ad buy of the election season.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&ncid=676&e=5&u=/usatoday/20041019/ts_usatoday/mostexpensivetvcampaignadgoesforemotions

Note for Firefox users, the WMV version isn't working for me, so fire up I.E., to view it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Ashley lives a couple of miles from my office.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember posting a thread of this photo when it came out.

When I heard of the advertisement, I was a bit  skeptical as to how they'd pull it off.

As Ben pointed out when I first posted the picture, its real easy to take this as a "photo op" by the President, scripted for election use.

Having the father, the family friend, and Ashley describe the experience sort of addresses those issues.  I think this ad will impact a lot of folks, especially women.  Its certainly an emotional thing.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a very powerful video...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Just showed it to a couple of the secretaries at the office, with mixed political views.  

All three went to tears.  

It is a powerful ad, and just such a postive message amidst all the negativity.  

Isn't it nice to have a President that, when he's close to a woman you don't have to wonder whether he's coping a feel?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#7]
DU is going to freak.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
My intern this summer is a classmate with her at Loveland HS. It's pretty sad, but their family has done so much to turn the tragedy into something good.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, sKerry would have been sorry too (and apologized to the fuggin' terrorists)
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#10]
meaningless.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Fucker, ya made me tear up.  Good emotional video will hit the Dems hard.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Fucker, ya made me tear up.  Good emotional video will hit the Dems hard.

Sorry bout that.   It hit me pretty hard as well.  If you go to the main webpage and click on the link to the mom's foundation, it sounds like this family has just done so much positive with the hand they've been dealt.   Quite an inspiration.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#14]
John Kerry aint gonna like that too much..........hehehehe
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#15]
THAT is my President.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#16]
nothing personal but I'm getting heartily sick of the phrase "October Surprise"
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Great ad.  For whatever flaws GWB has, at least he's an authentic, God-fearing man.

Between this ad appealing to the women and Team America pulling in the Jesse Ventura type voter, I think it's looking pretty good right now.

Two different ways of saying the same thing - No one wants a pussy as President right now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
meaningless.

To any unthinking idiots.

To the rest of us, it means quite a bit.

I suppose that Ashley, the 14 year old in the story, thought it was 'meaningless' as well?

You, Sierra_Hombre are a piece of work.

A very sorry, shallow piece of work.

Eric The(TellingItLikeItIs)Hun

I think it's rather disgusting the way Bush exploits poor Ashley and the 9/11 tragedy that way.  So what if she has puppy-dog eyes over the pres. because he hugged her.

I remember watching Bowling for Columbine and Micheal Moore took those kids paralized in the Columbine shooting and turned them into a dog-and-pony show for the media to pressure K-Mart to quit selling pistol ammo.  Those kids in wheelchairs with bullets still lodged in their bodies thought Moore was a pretty "cool guy" who cared about him.  Now Ashley thinks Bush cares about her as well.

Two sides of the same coin.

Any of you who claim Moore supporters are dumb for falling for his propaganda are just as dumb if you fall for George Bush's cheap tricks.  But I guess we will all believe whatever makes us most comfortable.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#19]
good video
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I think you are way off. President Bush has shown from the 9/11 happened that he is a sincere and caring person. To even try and compare this ad to Bowling for Columbine is nothing short of disgusting. Bowling for Columbine was filled with lies. Where are the lies that this little girl is saying? There are none. SO, FUCK YOU!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#21]
You fool. Have you ever considered for a moment that President Bush, a human being, actually CARES for those who have lost family? Christ sake man, think outside the CNN-made box. Not everything is a conspiracy and not everything has a political purpose. Dubya is a religious man, and he sticks to h is principles even the the face of criticism - I suppose THAT is a political move too, eh?

Eric, care to help me out here? Discussion about morals/religion isn't my strong spot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought that the whole reason that Bush comforting the child was so great was becuase there was no press there or anything to gain politically from it. Doesn't doing this take awya from that?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#23]
It would "take away" from that if there was an ad just showing the voice-over and without involving the father, family friend, and the young woman herself.   Basically, the girl is saying that this was a moving and gratifying moment for her.  She's providing the commentary and "vouching" for the photo.   It doesn't come across as self serving.   And, of course, this is a 527 group and is not the official bush campaign.

I dunno.  I think its a very effective video.   Michael Moore is out there saying "there is no terrorist threat" in America, and this young woman would obviously disagree.

The point of the ad is about the decency of the man in the oval office.  About why he is so single minded in wanting to be on offense.  About "getting" the risk factor.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I was pretty confused how this would be turned into a political ad and not look cheap and cheezy, but the ad was pretty well done.

Not bad.

Shawn
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I just put that first link on DU (not a link to here of course).  

Let's see what those idiots have to say about a genuine show of emotion.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They'll say it was staged to make him look better.

Powerful video, by the way.  I got choked up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#27]
This isn't a bush campaign video.
This is a 527 video.
Another little known fact except for those in the military.
Bush has personally visited the family of nearly every single soldier KIA for the past three years.
He flies to the various installations fairly regularly.  No press.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm a video editor just outside of DC and have MADE commercials for elections.....

and I have to say that was VERY well done!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
[...]

Any of you who claim Moore supporters are dumb for falling for his propaganda are just as dumb if you fall for George Bush's cheap tricks.  But I guess we will all believe whatever makes us most comfortable.

Moore's propaganda relies on far more than emotionalism. That is well documented. And Moore might actually care for those on whose behalf he claims to fight. It's irrelevant.

This ad strikes at the heart of liberal assumptions about conservatives: that they are unfeeling, and uncaring. Conservatives already know the falsity of this assumption. Those who might be swayed by this ad are not those who already support Bush.

They are moderates and liberals. In that, the "coin" you describe is the emotional voter - Moore on one side, Bush on the other.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I think Zell Miller said it best:

"George Bush is the same man on Saturday night that he is on Sunday morning."

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#34]
It's a very good ad! Will probably sway more than a few voters. but I don't think it's an "October Suprise"
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Link? (not hot of course)
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
meaningless.

Your post?

CW
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I think it's rather disgusting the way Bush exploits poor Ashley and the 9/11 tragedy that way.  So what if she has puppy-dog eyes over the pres. because he hugged her.

-Nick Viejo.

Nick, your an asshat!! MM spreads lies and propaganda for his good and the good of his agenda and his pocketbook. Bush actually cares.FOAD !
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I think they need to show that Johnny Cash flash video in $30 million of ads.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Post from N_Viejo -

Show us when and where President Bush has exploited Sept 11th or this young girl in any manner?

You know what? You can't!

You're just mumbling the scat of the left. That's all.

Now Ashley thinks Bush cares about her as well.

I think we all know that it's far more likely that President Bush cares more for this little girl than Michael Moron cares for anyone in a wheelchair from Columbine!

President Bush did not go looking for Ashley to make an ad for his campaign.

Michael Moron absolutely went looking for kids who were injured at Columbine, in order to explot them for his crass commercial 'documentary.'

Nope. Not even close.

Once again, my lackluster friend, what makes you think that President Bush used this young girl for a 'cheap trick'?

We all know that Michael Moron is quite capable of doing that, but not this President.

And even this President's adversaries give him that.

Well, except for the far-far left contingent, such as yourself.

Eric The(RightThinking)Hun

Well said ETH!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#41]
That was pretty powerful.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

to the likes of you, he's Mr. President. Show respect.

First, The President didn't exploit anything. He simply stopped to give comfort to a girl who lost her mom. Did he call for a camera? Was it his campaign who took the pic? NO. Matter of fact, the famous picture was taken by the dad, not a press photographer or aparatchnik. He didn't explot anyone.

I remember watching Bowling for Columbine and Micheal Moore took those kids paralized in the Columbine shooting and turned them into a dog-and-pony show for the media to pressure K-Mart to quit selling pistol ammo.  Those kids in wheelchairs with bullets still lodged in their bodies thought Moore was a pretty "cool guy" who cared about him.  Now Ashley thinks Bush cares about her as well.

Second, How can you compare a single picture which a 527 turned into a campaign commercial to a feature length film?  

Third, The President isn't profiting from selling movie tickets, selling DVDs, selling a companion book, selling Cable TV rights, selling regular TV rights, or charging nearly $30,000 per speech while on his so called "slacker tour" I don't recall hearing the MM is donating his profits to the families. MM is a war profiteer.

-Nick Viejo.

Fourth, again I have to point out, how is the President responsible for this? How is this his "Cheap Trick?" Moore supporters ARE dumb if they don't dig deeper than his veneer of truth. His films are PACKED with misrepresentations. How is that single picture of a grieving girl and a concern President a lie? Are you claiming the trick is that the President really didn't care for that girl? He was doing that as a calculated trick? Is that your theory?

Fifth, how can you level and place these two things on the same playing field? One is a FILM designed to affect policy, the other a private PICTURE turned into a commercial.

Both are free speech, believe what you want. There is no law against being a cynical idiot.

BTW, he's THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES to the likes of you.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
meaningless.

To any unthinking idiots.

To the rest of us, it means quite a bit.

I suppose that Ashley, the 14 year old in the story, thought it was 'meaningless' as well?

You, Sierra_Hombre are a piece of work.

A very sorry, shallow piece of work.

Eric The(TellingItLikeItIs)Hun

-Nick Viejo.

There is a problem with that logic.
MM just wants to stir up shit.
GW ACTUALY gives a shit and cares about people.
I bet MM probubly doesnt even remember those kids names.
While W probubly still has Ashley in his prayers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Anything I might say would be meaningless.

There that looks better.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

-Nick Viejo.

Don't assume that everyone is like you. some people actually do care about others.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Nick Viejo.

Nick, your an asshat!! MM spreads lies and propaganda for his good and the good of his agenda and his pocketbook. Bush actually cares.FOAD !

+1 for what DOA said!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#47]
MM didn't even meet most of the people he used in his latest movie as was exposed in Fahrenhype 9/11.  He used previously filmed footage totally out of context to project his distorted view.  That is dead wrong.  This commercial simply states what happenned that day when Bush embraced the daughter of a victim of 911 and how she was affected by it.  There is a huge difference between the 2 circumstances.  If one can't see this then they could be suffering from the same mental illness that most of those voting for John Kerry are!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top