Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2004 10:01:21 AM EDT
My 12 year old son came home yesterday and told us his school is planning a class trip to NYC  My first reaction was to say "well you ain't going" My reasons are very simple 9-11  NYC is a prime target and it CAN happen again. I did offer him a compromise...I told him if he decides to stay home that day, I will take off, we can go shooting out to lunch and then I will hand him 50.00 to buy whatever he wants at whatever store he wants me to take him.

Am I being paranoid or should I just let him go. He likes my offer, so I don't think he will be heartbroken if he stays outta the City.

Fire away  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#1]
paranoid.

but I would rather go shooting unless of course the class is going to scores??? but i doubt they would for a school trip? is it a public school....?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends what the itinerary is for the day. If they are going someplace educational that he wouldn't ordinarally see, it would be good for him to go. If it's just sightseeing, take him shooting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
paranoid.

but I would rather go shooting unless of course the class is going to scores??? but i doubt they would for a school trip? is it a public school....?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
You're paranoid.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
As long there is ADEQUATE adult supervision I would definitely let my son go.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I do not believe we should change our lifestyles and or our travel plans because of the terrorists, they win when we do that IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Depends what the itinerary is for the day. If they are going someplace educational that he wouldn't ordinarally see, it would be good for him to go. If it's just sightseeing, take him shooting.

The way most schools are, they'll stick them in a museum.  I'd rather go shooting anyway.

What part of PA?  I lived in Erie for 9 years.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My 12 year old son came home yesterday and told us his school is planning a class trip to NYC  My first reaction was to say "well you ain't going" My reasons are very simple 9-11  NYC is a prime target and it CAN happen again. I did offer him a compromise...I told him if he decides to stay home that day, I will take off, we can go shooting out to lunch and then I will hand him 50.00 to buy whatever he wants at whatever store he wants me to take him.

Am I being paranoid or should I just let him go. He likes my offer, so I don't think he will be heartbroken if he stays outta the City.

Fire away  

You're  a good father.  

You have the right to set his safety paramiters.

But don't give him a choice.  Tell him the two of you are going shooting that day. Period. (I wouldn't have bribed him either, he should do what you require of him without bribes)  

Go with your gut.

How will you feel if you let him go (against your gut feeling) and then something happens to him?

Trust your instincts.

He's your son afterall, and your number one job is to keep him safe.  (Until he is old enouph to do so himself)  

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#9]
WOW, same thing happened to me. I told my son the same thing, "You aint goin". Luckily the trip was cancelled for one reason or another and I never had to face it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be more worried about him getting stabbed with a needle by a crack whore due to the fact that she didn't have change for a 50 and so he decided to stiff her instead.

Now that is paranoia.

Can't you go with him to "9-11 NYC" and go shooting at the same time?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#11]
good father.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I would be weary about it to.  But I would most likely let him go.  But just tell him he can go but he can hang with you if he wants and let him make the decision, he is 12 it is about time for him to start making some on his own.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#13]
NYC is one of those places you should have seen once. Checkmark - next.....
Depends on the itinerary though. It could be a fun trip or a total waste of time.

I'd rather go shooting though..... Who wouldn't. Keep the city sink, thank you very little.

I went with my Dad to NYC when I was 12. Cool place to visit. I liked it but I'm just not a big city kind of guy.
Nowadays I'd rather go shoot with him.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Good fathers are paranoid.  It helps keep your offspring alive to adulthood, when they can become paranoid too!

Its a question of 'are you being overprotective'.  Answer, "in todays circumstances, no."  Take him shooting.  At least he'll learn something useful.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Why dont you go with him and his class. I bet the school would LOVE the help.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Good father? Yes.
Paranoid? Yes.

You could have an accident on the way to the range when he could have been in NYC.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]
No one is going to look after your son like YOU !!!
Times have change , nobody gives a shit about nobody .
I have TWO kids, I would not let him go !!! yes I from there.
P.S alot can go down in N.Y .....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I will be flying the day before the election
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I will be flying the day before the election

Now this I would be very worried about.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#20]
No, your not paranoid at all. I would have reacted the same way. It is your parental instincts that guides you in matters of your childrens welfare and safety. However, as they get older, one must learn to let go a little each day so they may make their own mistakes, thats how they learn. So, no you are not paranoid, merely love and care for your child and do not want to see him become a victim of some relegious zealot who's only goal in life is to destroy life. My 0.02! Your a good man and father, +1 for the cool offer & maybe explain to him WHY you decided to make this decision, he'll respect you for it in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#21]
IMO you should volunteer to serve as a chaperone and go with him.  If not, let him go if he wants to.  NYC is a very safe place in general.  The high-crime areas are well known and easy to avoid.  The probability of a terrorist attack at any given place and time, even a popular tourist attraction, is negligible.

If you hold your son back because of fear of a terrorist attack, the terrorists have won.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#22]
paranoid
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#24]
IMHO a good father is, by definition, somewhat "paranoid."  But I am a relatively new father and have much, MUCH more to learn...

Either way, the decision is yours and yours alone IMO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#25]
LET THE KID GO TO NYC !!! YOU SHOULD GO WITH HIM, then join us out at Calverton for some shooting
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#26]

I wonder how many in this thread who called you paranoid actually have children?  

There is a chemical that men begin to produce once they have kids that makes them very protective of their family.

For some it can be a very overwhelming experience.

And perfectly natural.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I am going through it too.

I just got my 13 year old daughter airline tickets for a trip to New York City in the Spring. She is going with her art teacher and some other students for 7days. To visit museums and other sites.

I am not really worried about terrorist activity. It is just a long way from Washington State to New York.

I want my kids to experience things...just not too many of the negative.

MT
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#28]
All good parents are a touch paranoid.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I think you are a good Dad.
I can relate. I have a 12 year old son
at home that thinks he is 10 feet tall
and bulletproof. I would not let him go
either. I would have handled it the exact
same way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Hire WAVE to be his personal body guard for that day.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Paranoid, but you did offer a nice alternative.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Ive got three sons 9, 5, and 1.  I work in NYC every day.  Compromise.  Be a class dad for the trip.  Son spends day with dad, goes on trip with class, dad watches out for son.  everybody is happy
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#33]
A bit paranoid...

When I was 12 I roamed the streets of Ankara , Turkey by myself. It was the mid-late 80's and I was in a country bordered by the Soviet Union, Iran, Syria, and Iraq . My father knew what the deal was as he was assistant head of security at the US Embassy. I made good choices, and I matured because of it. 12 is about the age to let them have some freedom. NYC is not all that dangerous of a place.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I have kids and I say he's paranoid.  The real reason to say no is its a liberal cesspool full of hedonism.

Shok
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Still not sure what I will do, but I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Paranoid?  Maybe a little, but you're a dad and that is one of the requirements... I'd probably make the same call.

Yeah, I have 2 sons myself.  I know where you are coming from.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My 12 year old son came home yesterday and told us his school is planning a class trip to NYC  My first reaction was to say "well you ain't going" My reasons are very simple 9-11  NYC is a prime target and it CAN happen again.

Sandman67, you just let the terrorists win.

This is EXACTLY what terrorists want. GWB said it himself... they (terrorists) want us to be afraid to do what we want, even afraid to live in our homes.

If you make him stay home because "It COULD happen again," then you let the terrorists win. And, you let down support for U.S. intelligence.

Let the kid go - but only if he wants to. You have nothing to fear except the kid having too much fun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Just finding another excuse to go shooting?

Id stay back if I was your son!  Shooting and $50!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Not paranoid, but overprotective.

That's your right, tho, and as long as it doesn't negatively impact your son do as you please. At least you gave him a reasonable alternative.

I've been to NYC before and since 911, doesn't scare me. Hell, here in Columbus Ohio we had a terrorist plot to blow up a mall. Terrorist attacks will likely not be relegated to Manhattan, sorry to say.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I have children, and understand your concern.  I think you may be a little paranoid though.  If you're willing to take the day off, I suggest you volunteer to chapperone the trip, I'm sure the more parents the better.  That way you and your son get to see NYC, which is something everyone should do at least once, (and from your post, I assume you haven't been there).  

I travel to NYC from PA at least once a month, you and your son will have a great time, enjoy it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Let him go.  He has the opportunity to see and experience something new.  Take him shooting some other time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#43]
He's your kid. Do what you think best. I have three, now 25,23,and 20. The biggest mistakes I made in raising them was second guessing myself. It always ended up bad.  I had a big fight with my daughter (then 15) and her school over a field trip in sociology class to a prison. Hell no. She was and still is a darling. Last thing I wanted is for a con to focus on her and show up one day looking for her. I fought her, the teacher, and the the school. I won. If you don't like it, don't do it. You have to live with the results, no one else here or anywhere else.

rk
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#44]
For any of you guys critical of the paranoia verdicts, Sandman posted this question on the internet here asking for opinions. Of course he is a good Dad regardless of his decision but as The President and others have said, staying home is a win for the bad guys. ( And yes I have a little experience raising kids,  35 yrs worth  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What part of PA?  I lived in Erie for 9 years.

Hey so did I.  My mothers side of the fam is from there.  I lived there from 1989-1998.  I graduated high school there actually.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Your being a good father letting him choose. I would go with him to NY or if he wants to go shooting go with him. If he does go to NY with you I will take the $50.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#47]
why are you bribing your son?
no means no
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Pony up the $50 bucks and keep him home if thats your gut.
Sounds like you are a reasonable guy.  Over protective........not for NY hating Texan
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Just so you guys know, we have been to NYC before, but he was very young..maybe 6 or 7.
This time the school is going to one place -a very popular place. I don't want to name the place because you never know who else reads these threads (damn, now I'm sounding paranoid

Seriously though, it's NYC so even if I took the advice and went along, I can't even CCW.

And as for the President saying the terrorists already won if we don't go out....well I understand that, I do really. But honestly, that won't hold shit to me if my son's school bus is on the GW bridge or in the Lincoln tunnell when the ragshop decides to blow it.....can't happen you say? I'm crazy? yea...that's what they would have said to you on 9-10 if you told them about someone taking down both towers the next day...

Am I wrong?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Paranoid. NYC is probably the safest place in the nation right now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top