Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 8:54:50 AM EDT
After 19 years and ten months and rising to Health Information Assistant Director for the past twelve years, my wife was downsized yesterday AM. So much for loyalty at the corporate level.

With the severence, sick and vacation pay she gets 'bout a years' package. She has mixed emotions in that she'll miss her fellow employees but not the job. She pioneered many programs and projects throughout the years and consistantly rated highest in evaluations.

Oh, well, her release enables the hospital to retain three coders. Bean counters rule. BTW she had hoped to retire within two years. At 58 y.o. that choice was made for her.  

Now my questions.
What is the best way to determine which financial advisor we should employ to minimize losses (IRA/stocks/taxes) and plan our future?
Any other advice from this collective pool of universal knowledge?

TIA

Edited to add: Any informative sites would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are concerned with retirement prospects, go with a conservative broker/advisor like A. G. Edwards or similar. Talk to a few of them before you make up your mind. These brokers are geared more toward slow-growth and secured investments. Their average clientelle are white, over 50, with no desire for capital growth stocks or any other risky business.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I asked my boss on this one.  He's a financial advisor.

He said the best way to start is to get referrals from people you know who already have financial planners.  Friends, people you've wored with, especially ones that have an IRA plan or have already retired.  He recommended getting the names of at least 2 or 3 financial planners, then try a sample meeting with them to see if their investement strategy and philosophy matches yours.  He recommended staying away from Wall Street Firms.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
A decent site for information is www.vanguard.com. They have lots of planning information and calculators and other such stuff.

(anyone else think that based on the thread title, that this thread was going to be about breast reduction surgery?)
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Join the club.  I lost my job as a software engineer 2 years ago, two weeks before my wedding, and have been temping ever since.  My wife's company was bought out recently by a foreign concern and will be closed first of the year.  Just when our first child will arrive.  Keeps us on our toes.  
I rely on The Motley Fool for general financial information.  I have a longer time line to retirement than you so I can afford a lot of time for research and indecision.  In your case it may be better to contact a professional to get a plan together for your short term.  If you have someone prepare your taxes, they can give you a lot of good info about the financial ramifications of early retirement, cashing out IRA's and the like.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

(anyone else think that based on the thread title, that this thread was going to be about breast reduction surgery?)

LOL...I did.  I felt a bit sheepish when I read what the thread was actually about.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL...I did.  I felt a bit sheepish when I read what the thread was actually about.

LOL...In my origional title I had "Not Diet Related..." knowing someone would zap me! But then I wasn't sure if it would all fit on the title line.

No need for breast reduction nor augmentation. They're outstanding as is (NOOOO, I won't post pics!!!).(.)(.)

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top