Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2004 7:17:14 AM EDT
***WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

This movie was the biggest crock I have ever seen. Of course what do you expect from Hollyweird? I'm sure they actually believe this crap too.

The thing I find most ironic is that in the movie they critisize the VP for not being educated enough in science to realize what is going on, but the movie it self is SOOO lacking in any scientific fact itself that it's not even funny. Really, the movie is so beyond stupid that it's past funny to the point of just being stupid again.

I mean come on, Vortexes that bring supercooled air down from the troposphere that are capable of dropping the temperature 10 degrees a second until it hits well below -150F, which instantly freezes anything

And then the wolves, that just happened to escape from the zoo, somehow find their way to the ship, that would have had WAY too much draft to float down that flooded street, that the main character's son is on and attack them. And the whole reason their even on the ship, that happened to float down the flooded street in front of the library where they are hiding out, is because "Sam's" love interest got cut on the leg, didn't tell anyone about it, got an infection and went unconcious and they needed to find medical supplies, which they thought might be ont he ship. Not to mention the fact that at first, when nobody could figure out why the chick had gone unconcious, the librarian simply happens across the right medical book, flips a few pages, and then is able to accurately diagnose the exact problem and cure for her illness. Really? It's that easy? Well, then why the hell do we need doctors! All you need to do is go down to the library and flipa  few pages ina  medical book and you can learn all you need to know about whatever is wrong with you and how to cure it! It's not like doctors go to years and years of medical school for nothing ya know...

And somehow no scientists happened to notice all of the polar ice caps melting in the first place and the desalinization of the sea water. MmmmmmHmmmmm....yep, they just missed that one I guess.

Oh, and don't forget the odds of the ice shelf just so happening to crack right underneith Dennis Quaid's camp at the beginning of the movie. And as if that weren't enough he's able to leap across an at least 10 yard wide crack with no running start, wearing full artic gear, grab several heavy metal tubes, and leap back across, still with full artic gear on and no running start. I don't know how many of you southerners here have ever been all geared up in cold weather clothing like that, but I doubt the olympic gold medalist long jumper could jump ten yards will all that gear on, even with a big running start. It really weighs you down and reduces your mobility, especially for things like jumping.

I could go on and on because the whole movie was so chocked full of absolute bullshit. Don't even get me started on all the "green house gases" and fossil fuel being the problem and causing the next ice age because the desalinization of the ocean's water caused an almost instant reversal on the ocean's currents...

Stupid, stupid, stupid movie...

What other stupid things did you notice?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Funniest part was when US citizens were fleeing South to avoid the ice.  The TV newcaster says, Mexico has closed its boarders.  LIKE THAT IS EVEN POSSIBLE  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Common folks, it is a lousy make-believe movie, its pure & simple, even the writers and producers admit to it. Don't be like the liberals which think as such movies are Ahnold Swartzenegger's Commando as weapons training movie.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Funniest part was when US citizens were fleeing South to avoid the ice.  The TV newcaster says, Mexico has closed its boarders.  LIKE THAT IS EVEN POSSIBLE  

I live 3 miles from where they shot that footage and there is absolutely NO WAY to shut down that border.

I drove by on the day they were shooting that scene and we were having the nastiest dust storm we have had in quite a while.  Visibility was about a quarter mile because of all of the sand and dust in the air.  Interesting how they electronically turned it into a snow storm.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Common folks, it is a lousy make-believe movie, its pure & simple, even the writers and producers admit to it. Don't be like the liberals which think as such movies are Ahnold Swartzenegger's Commando as weapons training movie.

Yes, I know it's make believe, but I think the reason that it ticks me off is that they could have at least made it semi believable. I think they could have made it into an entertaining SHTF movie, but it was so make believe that it was just stupid...and the acting was bad too. The sad thing is, is that I'm sure there are people out there that WILL believe something like that is actually possible though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah yeah, the movie was 90% bullshit.

It's based on the theory that if the north atlantic flow changes, it could trigger drastic changes in the climate of the planet.  I'm no scientist, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night....   I'm pretty sure major changes in the ocean's behavior would have effects on the whole climate.  But I think it would take decades, centuries, or even millenia to drastically change the climate as it did in the movie.

It wasn't anything more than a fun flick with the background of another ice age starting.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This movie was the biggest crock I have ever seen. Of course what do you expect from Hollyweird? I'm sure they actually believe this crap too.

The thing I find most ironic is that in the movie they critisize the VP for not being educated enough in science to realize what is going on, but the movie it self is SOOO lacking in any scientific fact itself that it's not even funny. Really, the movie is so beyond stupid that it's past funny to the point of just being stupid again.

I mean come on, Vortexes that bring supercooled air down from the troposphere that are capable of dropping the temperature 10 degrees a second until it hits well below -150F, which instantly freezes anything

And then the wolves, that just happened to escape from the zoo, somehow find their way to the ship, that would have had WAY too much draft to float down that flooded street, that the main character's son is on and attack them. And the whole reason their even on the ship, that happened to float down the flooded street in front of the library where they are hiding out, is because "Sam's" love interest got cut on the leg, didn't tell anyone about it, got an infection and went unconcious and they needed to find medical supplies, which they thought might be ont he ship. Not to mention the fact that at first, when nobody could figure out why the chick had gone unconcious, the librarian simply happens across the right medical book, flips a few pages, and then is able to accurately diagnose the exact problem and cure for her illness. Really? It's that easy? Well, then why the hell do we need doctors! All you need to do is go down to the library and flipa  few pages ina  medical book and you can learn all you need to know about whatever is wrong with you and how to cure it! It's not like doctors go to years and years of medical school for nothing ya know...

And somehow no scientists happened to notice all of the polar ice caps melting in the first place and the desalinization of the sea water. MmmmmmHmmmmm....yep, they just missed that one I guess.

Oh, and don't forget the odds of the ice shelf just so happening to crack right underneith Dennis Quaid's camp at the beginning of the movie. And as if that weren't enough he's able to leap across an at least 10 yard wide crack with no running start, wearing full artic gear, grab several heavy metal tubes, and leap back across, still with full artic gear on and no running start. I don't know how many of you southerners here have ever been all geared up in cold weather clothing like that, but I doubt the olympic gold medalist long jumper could jump ten yards will all that gear on, even with a big running start. It really weighs you down and reduces your mobility, especially for things like jumping.

I could go on and on because the whole movie was so chocked full of absolute bullshit. Don't even get me started on all the "green house gases" and fossil fuel being the problem and causing the next ice age because the desalinization of the ocean's water caused an almost instant reversal on the ocean's currents...

Well at least you're passionate about it, because you sure enough wasted enough bandwith bitching about it!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I did'nt care for it either. It ended up being about some high school nerds in love.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well at least you're passionate about it, because you sure enough wasted enough bandwith bitching about it!

Quit it! You're starting to make me feel guilty for not working now and posting useless rants on the internet!

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Geez, it was made for entertainment.  That's all.  If you want reality, try the Discovery Channel or A&E.  The movie did what it was designed for, and that's to take my mind off of how F'd up reality is.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The movie was a bit far-fetched, but it was cool watching twisters make a mess of the PRK.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Is there any SHTF-type gunplay in this flick?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Dumbest fucking movie I have seen in a long time. I really regret the 2 hours I wasted watching this POS.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Agreed--sucks ass, move along here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#16]
The movie did affect some people. One guy drank too many beers while watching the movie. He got depressed and then burned his own house down.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]
It had no grounding in reality but good entertainment value.  I put it in the same category as a cartoon, not a good cartoon like Buggs Bunny or anything though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#18]
it was ok. some plot holes, some big enough to sail that tanker through, but it wasn't bad for just entertainment
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought it was an entertaining flick.  Doesnt have to be realistic to be entertaining.   Probably 3/4 of the movies I have liked are totally unrealistic:  Indiana Jones, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead to name a few off the top of my head.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought it was an entertaining flick.  Doesnt have to be realistic to be entertaining.   Probably 3/4 of the movies I have liked are totally unrealistic:  Indiana Jones, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead to name a few off the top of my head.  

See, this is the thing. I have no problem with unrealistic, but entertaining movies like Indiana Jones and the others you mentioned.

I'm just pissed that I wasted $4 to rent this movie when, not only was it unrealistic, but IMO wasn't entertaining either. At least i didn't pay twice that to see it in the theater.

Not only that, but after watching that movie now the fire dept. is after me about some kind of fine...and I'm sure it's the movie's fault...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Geez, it was made for entertainment.  That's all.  If you want reality, try the Discovery Channel or A&E.  The movie did what it was designed for, and that's to take my mind off of how F'd up reality is.  

Actually, I think it was made to be a DNC political ad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The movie did affect some people. One guy drank too many beers while watching the movie. He got depressed and then burned his own house down.

Now he's just another Democrat who's been disenfranchised due to unfair laws restricting felons from voting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No

How the hell can you make a disaster movie without gunplay?

Fucking LAME.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Admittedly, I thought  the movie took a big dump after the destructions of Los Angeles and New York occured, but I thought the first part of the movie was cool enough to put up with the later part.  Kind of like Independence Day which no suprise is from the same director.   It also had cool special effects that to me made up for a weak story.   Candy for my eyes.

The part that I thought was kind of funny in the Day after tomorrow was at the end when the President was  giving his speech via the Weather Channel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought it was kind of cool when the tanker floated down 5th Avenue...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top