Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2004 10:56:52 PM EDT
Finally got around to catching the second installment after thoroughly enjoying the heck out of the first and was left somewhat disappointed.

The first volume had me salivating for the next scene to begin and to see where Tarantino was going to go with it or what interesting concept he was going to come up with next.  I ran out to buy the first installment immediately after returning the rental.

*SPOILER: DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET*
Watched the second volume this past weekend and it was a wrap-up to the first obviously but it was nothing like the first except the characters were the same.  It wasn't jumbled or overlapped in Tarantino's usual style.  It was strictly linear and kind of boring.  The final characters lacked the personalities of those in the first and the final showdowns were ho-hum compared to the first.

I felt like, given the length of the first, Tarantino was advised to "wrap this thing up" and just finished it up as conveniently as he could.

Perhaps I'm missing something and there was method to his madness.  Please enlighten me if this is the case.

I'll probably purchase the second anyway to have the set and maybe I'll reconsider my opinion after rewatching it, but at this point I was disappointed.

What do you folks think?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The second one sucked,

I know someone who corrected it, put the movies together and put the parts in the "correct" order
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Liked the second one better for the dialogue.

MT
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
agreed the 2nd wasn't that great, but i thought it wrapped up the storylines nicely.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
my understanding was orignaly it was one 4 hour or so movie so they cut it into 2 movies, but  had to film alot of filler to make movie 2 hence why it wasnt as good but then agien that could be internet rumor mill.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#5]
CRAP...BOTH of 'em.    

<Quentin Terrantino>  

ETA: ...or however you spell that hypocrite's name!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Part 1 was a tribute to Asian film making influences and actors while part 2 paid tribute to Western style films, both of which had a lot of influence on Tarantino.  I liked part 1 better but would not recommend one without the other.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#7]
MT_Pockets:

DIALOGUE?!?!

To each their own but you need to rewatch the first.  The dialogue of the first, in my opinion, kicked serious a$$ over the second.  Just opinion of course.

I started to watch the first again today and went back three times trying to figure what the old Texas Ranger (?) was saying to the younger one at the church after the bodies were found.  I know that not being able to understand doesn't make it good but it sure is entertaining.

"Gooood gravy, Marie."  It's worth the price just for that line and its delivery.

Thanks for the opinions though.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the second one was very surprising considering the first.

*****SPOILER******
The first was a bloodbath.  In the second the only one she actually kills, is Bill.

The first movie was the action.  The second movie was the reason, and conclusion.

I liked them both.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The scene with Bill at the end sucked.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Just happened to watch vol II earlier tonight. Plucking out the second eye was the highlight for me.  Understandably, the bitch went crazy after that.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Ugly:

Your point about her only killing Bill in the second is really interesting.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Regarding Elle Driver, did you notice in the end credits that all the DVAs assassins that were killed had a line drawn through their names but hers had a "?".  Think there may be a sequel?  Elle will train Vernita Green's daughter as an assassin and they'll go after Beatrix?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I heard Quinten is planning a sequel.  I believe he said it will be in 10 years when Vernita Greens daughter is old enough.  It sounds like Elle would be the perfect choice to train her.  Good call Scotter260.

I noticed that part at the end as well.  A big fat question mark.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I think both volumes needed...
...more cowbell
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I heard Quinten is planning a sequel.  I believe he said it will be in 10 years when Vernita Greens daughter is old enough.

Heard that, and that he also has some footage in the can for a possible Kill Bill 3.  He apparantly shot scenes with Uma's character and Green's daughter, maybe even her daughter also.  That way he has footage that he can use in "flashback" scenes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I heard Quinten is planning a sequel.  I believe he said it will be in 10 years when Vernita Greens daughter is old enough.  It sounds like Elle would be the perfect choice to train her.  Good call Scotter260.

I noticed that part at the end as well.  A big fat question mark.  

I also heard of a prequel that would detail some of the Deadly Viper squad's exploits as assassins.  Would definitely have some serious action.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:11:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I liked the second much better than the first, the amount of blood was almost funny in the first, lots of squirting, and I did not like the black and white shots, hurts my eyes to change like that in the middle of a movie.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:13:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just happened to watch vol II earlier tonight. Plucking out the second eye was the highlight for me.  Understandably, the bitch went crazy after that.  

Only good part of the whole movie .
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I did not like the black and white shots

Neither did I, but it was done to tone down the blood content for ratings.  The Japanese version is in full color.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm a fan of both of them.  I liked the second one a lot better.  I can see how people wouldn't be a fan of Terentino's style of film making, but it's kind of grown on me.  It's different, and kills the monontony of many of the films that are out right now.  

That, and Uma Therman is "Grrrrrrr baby!"
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I did not like the black and white shots

Neither did I, but it was done to tone down the blood content for ratings.  The Japanese version is in full color.

Beat me to it. Rumor has it that there will be a special edition Vol. I and II that will be the color asian release.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think both volumes needed...

...more cowbell

I agree!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I was entertained by both volumes....

I liked the first one better.  But I'm not as critical as most of you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I thought they both sucked, worst Tarantino movies ever.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#24]
i liiked both but i'd have liked more story in volume one and more action in volume 2.  they're both great, but vol 1 is better i think.  2 tends to drag a bit the second time you watch it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#25]
BOTH SUCKED, 1970s Kung FU Bullshit movies without the nostalgia!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Budd kicked ass!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#27]
oops
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I liked 'em both, but very different movies.  LOVED it when Uma Plucked out Daryl Hannah's other eye...I laughed so hard I thought I would shit myself.  I'm also a big Michael Madsen fan, and enjoyed seeing his work here.  

The 2nd movie IS much slower, especially the 2nd half of it.  I liked it as much as the first one, though...but I can see why some people didn't.  

The soundtrack in the 2nd one kicks ass.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
BOTH SUCKED, 1970s Kung FU Bullshit movies without the nostalgia!

I'd give a +1 here, but after watching volume 1, there's no chance at all that I'll waste my time on volume 2.  Volume 1 both sucks and blows.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Liked them both. But the first one was better.

Uma looks great in jeans . YUMMY !!!!

That French girl she chopped up was really hot too.

That Nissan 300ZX the Frenchie  was driving was super nice.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#31]
The fight scene with the Crazy 88's was pretty hilarious in the first one. 1st movie was nothing but a bloodbath. Cool, in a sugar rush kinda way.
2nd volume was too preachy. Get to the killing damnit! Darryl Hannah's plastic surgery is kinda in the  "What the hell" category. Seeing her get her eye plucked out was hilarious. I replayed that part I don't know how many times. Laughed as hard the first time as the last.

BTW, Uma Thurman.....hubba hubba.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I guess I never noticed Darryl Hannah's surgery.... has she been enhanced?  I'll need two things:

1) Edit the title to "BOTD"

2) Post pics of before and after Darryl Hannah!  Woo Hoo!

Isn't she like.....85 years old now?  She doesn't look it.  I'd hit it.  With pride.

Including her empty eye sockets.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#33]
All her surgery was facial. She looks nothing like she did in "Splash" or "Memoirs of an Invisible Man"
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I'll still need a side by side picture to show it......
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Part 1 was a tribute to Asian film making influences and actors while part 2 paid tribute to Western style films, both of which had a lot of influence on Tarantino.  I liked part 1 better but would not recommend one without the other.

+1

He deliberately made the films in more than one style.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Vol. One was much better...even with the violence there was some funny stuff...the Pussy Wagon. Charlie Brown. Buck. You can't beat that stuff...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The scene with Bill at the end sucked.

+1.

Spoiler Coming.

The ending was as lame as Skerry on almost anything.  It could have been done much better.  He should have died differently.  The "5 steps of death", or whatever it was called, was bogus.  A fatal sword cut or stabbing would have been much better.

**** out of *****.

It's still a good movie.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The soundtrack in the 2nd one kicks ass.  

+1

Ennio Morricone = great sound track

Brian

ETA:  Post 100, time to get a team membership.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I like VOL II better.
Could have done without the anime segment in the 1st.
I did laugh my ass off when elle lost her other eye.  "Elle you treacherous dog!"

Fortunately, we can discuss this in GD instead of some lame movie forum.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#41]
In this scene They bleeped out her name  -- why ???

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#42]
And that looks like a mans hand ???

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#43]
My name is Bill, and I am still very much alive.

Bilster
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
And that looks like a mans hand ???

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/141064/mnhan.jpg

If you notice, It does not match the other hand, WTF?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I really did like both volumes, I just thought 2 was a let-down.  The jumbled progression works in Taratino's movies so why not continue.  I suppose one doesn't want to wear out a good thing.

In the first he goes into a huge amount of detail about Oren.  I think it would have been interesting in the second to explain Bill's or Budd's pasts.  Bill asks Budd if he's kept up his swordplay, okay then, let's see the background on Budd's training.  I like Michael Madsen too and think his talent wasn't used enough in the movie.

I also think the possibility is there for numerous other movies revolving around these characters.

I also heard recently that there may be a prequel about Vincent Vega from Pulp Fiction.  That would certainly be entertaining.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Man, I loved that movie.  It really is just one movie that they made him split up because it was too long.  I love both parts though, with the second being my favorite.  I loved the story and the dialogue.  A couple friends who watched it with me were a bit bored by it, but they are stupid.  No, really, they are.  It was probably the best film released this year.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Ugly:

Your point about her only killing Bill in the second is really interesting.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Regarding Elle Driver, did you notice in the end credits that all the DVAs assassins that were killed had a line drawn through their names but hers had a "?".  Think there may be a sequel?  Elle will train Vernita Green's daughter as an assassin and they'll go after Beatrix?

Thanks guys.

We HAVE a Winner!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I liked both of them, but I liked the second volume more after seeing it a second time.

I am waiting hopefully for a super edition of both that will permit you to put the movie in linear order.

Tarantino is god, my only complaint is that he doesn't make enough movies.

I can't wait for his WWII movie.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I didn't like the "Texas Funeral", I'm clausterphobic
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#50]

I also heard recently that there may be a prequel about Vincent Vega from Pulp Fiction. That would certainly be entertaining

Question isn't Vic Vega in Reservoir Dogs and Vince Vega in Pulp Fiction  suppose to be brothers?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top