BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2004 8:12:00 PM EDT
New LR3

Or

Discovery

Edited to add-  The LR3 will replace the Discovery.. Im leaning more to the Discovery

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Get them both!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
LandCruiser....
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't get the first pic becuase part of the side is missing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#5]
range rover
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you going to use it for
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
range rover

Too much buddy     $73,000
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
They are some of the best off road vehicles on earth. However, I wouldnt buy one if I was a pavement pounder.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
1 word, rubicon
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Offroad/Camping/Plinking in the desert..Will use it on streets maybe 4 days out of the week
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Personaly Id say get something cheap and disposable, since it will get keyed, have a attempt to be broken into, hit by people with no insurance and if fixed be fixed the most bootleg/ducttape and breadties way
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Personaly Id say get something cheap and disposable, since it will get keyed, have a attempt to be broken into, hit by people with no insurance and if fixed be fixed the most bootleg/ducttape and breadties way

+1, get an old toyota truck....
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

tell me about it
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Land Rover Discovery or Toyota anything.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got a Tundra double cab
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tell me about it

Well Im 22 and at 20 I got a 95 black Impala SS, I had wanted one for years.  Within 2 weeks hit by kid on bike.  Later was painted for about a week, then messed up again
1 busted windshield, 1 attempt to break in it, and 4 wrecks I hate the damn thing and dont even bother to wash it.

I wanted a 78 Trans AM, got it, hit twice, both with no insurance.

Just get something that is disposable, spend your money on something else cool, or send it to me I need another MG.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

These rank right up there with gay poser yuppie owners who also own hummer 2.  Just buy a pink mary kay cadillac.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Some day, somehow, I'll have one.

I have a friend that was in the Peace Corps in Africa.

He said they didn't even have odometers on the Land Rovers, and they never fairled.

EVER!

Imagine that.

My bride thinks they are ugly.

Some day, I'll have one!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't get one. I don't trust British engineering.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Land Rover = Over priced low quality. I have never know a Land Rover owner who did not have problems.

I would suggest you check the JD Power rating for vehicle manufactures with the most reported problems per brand.

Land Rover ranked dead last, the worst of ALL brands with more reported problems by the owner that any other brand. 5 times as many reported problems as Toyota and 3 times as many as any US vehicle. The customer satisfaction rating on each of the 3 Land Rover individual products were not very good.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Not worth the price.  You could get 2 trucks that are much better.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Edmonds.com says why spend the money unless it's just to impress....
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a Disco II. I have an 03 SE7 with a Hannibal rack, tent, awning and gas can rack and I take it  shooting in the AZ desert. Also use it for commuting to work. Setup is almost identical to this:

IM me if you want more info.

CW
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Edmonds.com says why spend the money unless it's just to impress....

Because they work. Don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em.

CW
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#25]
The owner of my company has a Disovery and a Range Rover and he loves them both but he also has the money to maintain them and to take the hit of the depreciation.  They don't hold thier value at all.

I say if you can afford it go for it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Land Rover Defender
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Land Rover Defender

I want that!!!!!!!!!  

Can we get em in US?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#28]
When it comes to SUV's, and you have more money than brains!!!

Nothing says waste of money like a Mecedes G-Wagon

The G500 impresses with dominating V-8 power, surefooted full-time 4-wheel drive and legendary character and style.MSRP $78,420.00*  
Engine 5.0L 24-valve V-8 engine
Net Power 292 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Net Torque 336 lb-ft @ 2,800 - 4,000 rpm
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When it comes to SUV's, and you have more money than brains!!!

www.mbusa.com/media/images/main/models/G500_main.jpg

Nothing says waste of money like a Mecedes G-Wagon

The G500 impresses with dominating V-8 power, surefooted full-time 4-wheel drive and legendary character and style.MSRP $78,420.00*  
Engine 5.0L 24-valve V-8 engine
Net Power 292 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Net Torque 336 lb-ft @ 2,800 - 4,000 rpm

That is one damn ugly thing, I seen a few.  They need to be shot and sold for scrap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Hard to say, not having driven a new LR3.

The current Discovery has gained some nice touches, but lost others when compared to earlier Discovery models. I say this based on a recenct discussion of this very fact with a long term Discovery owner who has owned at least one of each of the three Discovery generations, and currently has one of the each of the two most recent. The current one lost weather band in the radio, the passenger seat doesn't fuly articulate, etc. I hope they restored all the cost cutting measures in the LR3.

The LR3 has some impressive features, but I don't know what really happened with the design under the covers. I know that the old rumors about it being based on the Explorer chassis were proven false, it is a new Land Rover chassis. I'd hope that the chassis meets the strength standards set by the Range Rover.

I love my Range Rover. I've never particularly liked the Discovery's "Popemobile" roofline. On that basis I'd say LR3.

If only the Defender 90 was still available...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
The LR3 has IFS so if youre doin any crawling youre better off with an older one for spring over or coilovers.  Check www.discoweb.org for lots of info.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a 95 Discovery 1.  Its before they added all the electronic crap to a fine rig. The D2 has some bad years. As for the LR3.. Thats BMW/Fords Idea of what it should be (crappy IFS, level sensing/auto level no good for real off road).

This is my baby..

It is scratched, dented and dirty the was it was intended. Off road it is like a goat! But the gas milage sux! It makes wierd noises. And leaks oil.

Well there talking of having a Defender 90 ready for import in 2006 ish. With the TDI motor. MMMMMMM

If you got Q's just IM me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Land Rover = Over priced low quality. I have never know a Land Rover owner who did not have problems.

I would suggest you check the JD Power rating for vehicle manufactures with the most reported problems per brand.

Land Rover ranked dead last, the worst of ALL brands with more reported problems by the owner that any other brand. 5 times as many reported problems as Toyota and 3 times as many as any US vehicle. The customer satisfaction rating on each of the 3 Land Rover individual products were not very good.

My neighbor's is in the shop constantly and she hates it now because it has been so much trouble getting it fixed repeatedly.  Even if it is under warranty it is a hassle to get it fixed all of the time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Horrible resale value.  Horrible reliabilty.  Get a Land Crusier or LX-470.  You will thank me.  

FOR THE CHILDREN, DONT BUY A LAND ROVER
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Land Rover Defender

WERD!!

here's mine

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Ill add this warning... If you are mechanically inclined and can do auto repair. Or have a big wallet and have a second rig to drive. Get a Land Rover.

If you are neither DO NOT BUY A LAND ROVER.

They are like a child and require attention. You will spend lots of quality time fixing stuff. But most stuff is really easy. And parts prices are not too bad. You will be ordering parts (on line there are a few discount stores). The local parts stores DO NOT STOCK LAND ROVER PARTS. I will repeat..The local parts stores DO NOT STOCK LAND ROVER PARTS.

So if you are pondering buying one. Think twice. I knew of all the problems before I got mine. I was expecting problems. Thats why I got a 95'

Remember.... Lucas the Prince of Darkness!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Ill add this warning... If you are mechanically inclined and can do auto repair. Or have a big wallet and have a second rig to drive. Get a Land Rover.

They are like a child and require attention. You will spend lots of quality time fixing stuff. But most stuff is really easy. And parts prices are not too bad. You will be ordering parts (on line there are a few discount stores). The local parts stores DO NOT STOCK LAND ROVER PARTS. I will repeat..The local parts stores DO NOT STOCK LAND ROVER PARTS.

So if you are pondering buying one. Think twice. I knew of all the problems before I got mine. I was expecting problems. Thats why I got a 95'

yes, you have a point. i'd totally agree with you if we're talking LR's before '97. they got it together quite a bit from '97 on.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, you have a point. i'd totally agree with you if we're talking LR's before '97. they got it together quite a bit from '97 on.

Yep. My 03 has only been in the shop for ABS brake stuff (tech bulletin stuff that was put to bed after the 3rd go-around).  I have 40k miles on it and it is perfect.  I also have an 89 RR that has been very good to me for over 350k miles, although quality in the older models is somewhat hit-and miss.

CW
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#40]
On mine im setting at 107000 as of today. All I have had to do is new plug wires, Plugs, cap and rotor. You know the usual shit.
The 96 is when all the probs arose with the 4.0 motor ( valve guide problems). QC got much better in 98.

Although quality in the older models is somewhat hit-and miss. Very true! Buyer beware!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:22:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Land Rover Discoveries use too much fuel and dont put out enough power for their fuel consumption.

Id take one into the bush though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:39:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:57:23 AM EDT
[#43]

A couple of years ago, I was in the same boat as you.  Always wanted a LR.  Went to the dealership and drove disco's and a few minty 90's they had.  Then started asking around to friends, etc that had them. Great AS LONG AS IT WAS UNDER WARRANTEE!  When something went wrong, big bucks because it was the dealer or nothing.

I like the disco better than the new LR3.  Too much electronic crap to go wrong, plus first year.  Who knows how many bugs to work out.

In the end, I kept my Dodge Ram and am glad I did.

Also, never liked the disco V8.  Drinks too much and doesn't put out enough.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:13:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking! At least they might give you a few thousand off----
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:18:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Why not just get a 4WD Honda Element and save several thousand dollars?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Buy a Toyota.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#48]
An early 90's Disco can be had pretty cheap. I would suggest looking for a used one, if you're really wanting one...keep it as a fun vehicle. My brother has a '94, paid 5k for it. It is VERY capable on the trails, but the mileage sucks [full-time 4x4]. It is not very quick, either. He has spent quite a bit of money the past couple of years keeping it running...but it's his fun/trail toy, so it's no biggie.

In a previous line of work, Land Rover of Dallas was one of my clients. I drove many types...all were cool...but the Defender was by far the coolest. I would own one in a heartbeat if they weren't so damned expensive.

The guys at the dealership told me that on the average, Land Rovers spend 25% of their life in the shop. Dunno if that's true, but their service dept was ALWAYS running behind, more work then they could handle. At the time, they were the only LR dealer in North Texas, but that's not the case anymore.

If you want reliability, go with a Landcruiser or older Toyo pickup/4Runner.

If you want new, wait for the '05 Tacoma in a couple of weeks. Almost the same size as the Tundra, and better looking IMHO. The new V6 has as many ponies as the Tundra V8. Way cheaper than the Rover too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Offroad/Camping/Plinking in the desert..Will use it on streets maybe 4 days out of the week

Here in California, the best choices seem to be Jeep and Toyota. At least with the serious rock crawler crowd. Popular choices are CJs, TJs, XJs, and Toyota pick ups. The Toys are either older models with solid front axles, or new ones that have been modified to have a solid front axle.

Buy a used XJ Cherokee, get in touch with www.socalxj.com/, and you will end up spending less money and have a more capable vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#50]
If I had $70,000 to dump in an expedition vehicle, I'd get a Land Cruiser.  I wounldn't even consider the RR.  If I had $70,000 to dump into an SUV, I'd get a Lexus.  I wouldn't even consider the RR.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top