Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/18/2004 10:35:45 AM EDT
I'm a republican, so dont think I'm 'immediately a kerry support. Instead, I'm just trying to understand some things here...   Bush's solution to the outsourcing of jobs just doesnt make since to me...  He say's that he'll help people that lost their jobs to outsourcing, to go back to school.  What does this mean? That he will give me a $1,000 tax break if I'm a student? What about my mortgage? Will he pay that? Will he put food in my fridge?
   I guess he's telling me that I just spent $35,000 on a degree for nothing? and that I have to go back to school for ANOTHER degree?  Is he telling me, that my 15 years of experience in this career feild, is now worthless, and after I spend another 2 years in school, that I have to start at year 1 again?
    I've spent that last 15 years build my life building a life for myself.  I 'was' at a place where the last 15 years has brought me to a point that I lived well... I made my way up the ladder. I 'considered' myself a success...    BUT, now, Bush is telling me that he will 'help' me go back to get 'another' edjucation, and start all over again!!! WHY do I want that?

Can someone tell me just what's wrong here?

p.s.  And WHY, oh why, does he give tax break's to companies' that offshore jobs? Does he not realize, that he's not only loosing tax from the tax break, but that their not an american employee to pay tax on his paycheck either???

Can someone tel me just what's wrong here? Am I mis-understanding something here? I'd sure be glad to listen.......
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Bugger off
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Bush doesn't outsource jobs.

Companies outsource jobs - if it's economically vialble to them.

BTW you should point out Heinz had outsourced the majority of it's jobs - yet Kerry says nothing (of course not he profited DIRECTLY from it).
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bugger off

Is your position so weak you cannot stand another opinion?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

p.s.  And WHY, oh why, does he give tax break's to companies' that offshore jobs? Does he not realize, that he's not only loosing tax from the tax break, but that their not an american employee to pay tax on his paycheck either???

Can someone tel me just what's wrong here? Am I mis-understanding something here? I'd sure be glad to listen.......

Hmmm that is straight from the Kerry handbook.  Companies outside the US don't pay US taxes, they never have.  It's not a tax break that Bush gave them it's from a trade agreement long ago.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bugger off

Has NOTHING to do with the strength of my position.

Has everything to do with the value of my time, VaDingbat.

(explaining why my reply to you is short as well)

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Check the facts first:

http://www.factcheck.org/article225.html

"There is indeed a tax break for US-based multinational corporations to locate operations overseas. Bush isn't to blame for it -- it's been there for decades. "

If you expect the government to put food in your firdge and pay your morgtage, move to Canada. Otherwise quit expecting a handout and get off your ass.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bugger off

Has NOTHING to do with the strength of my position.

Has everything to do with the value of my time, VaDingbat.

(explaining why my reply to you is short as well

Then do us all a favor and spend your "Valuable” time on another thread. Everybody’s opinion should be heard, not just ones we agree with 100%.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm a republican, so dont think I'm 'immediately a kerry support.

Yeah. Sure you are.

Instead, I'm just trying to understand some things here...   Bush's solution to the outsourcing of jobs just doesnt make since to me...  He say's that he'll help people that lost their jobs to outsourcing, to go back to school.  What does this mean? That he will give me a $1,000 tax break if I'm a student? What about my mortgage? Will he pay that? Will he put food in my fridge?
   I guess he's telling me that I just spent $35,000 on a degree for nothing? and that I have to go back to school for ANOTHER degree?  Is he telling me, that my 15 years of experience in this career feild, is now worthless, and after I spend another 2 years in school, that I have to start at year 1 again?
    I've spent that last 15 years build my life building a life for myself.  I 'was' at a place where the last 15 years has brought me to a point that I lived well... I made my way up the ladder. I 'considered' myself a success...    BUT, now, Bush is telling me that he will 'help' me go back to get 'another' edjucation, and start all over again!!! WHY do I want that?

Bush isn't outsourcing anything. Companies are, and a big reason they are doing so is because they can find cheaper to employ people overseas. Perhaps if we reduced the payroll taxes and the like we would be more competitive. But then the government would have to get rid of a bunch of huge programs.

The economy is growing, and given that the vast majority of college degree holding people DO NOT have a job related to their degree, your question is moot. The jobs that require a degree that you actually have tend to be quite stable. Nursing, for instance, is positively starving for qualified people.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Lets see:

Registered in the last couple of months?  Check.

Regurgitating the Democrat's talking points?   Check.

Said talking points are full of shit?   Check.

Defensive "I'm a conservative, BUT" approach?   Check.

Verdict:   A Moby troll if ever I did see one.

FOAD.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I never said Bush outsourced jobs... Kerry's never said that he blaims companies that outsource... "He said that it'll happen.. it's a fact"... But, my point is, what is A PRESIDENT (whomever it will be), going to do about these situations... Will he help me go back to school? or will he start making efforts to 'encourage' jobs to stay in the USA?

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BUT, now, Bush is telling me that he will 'help' me go back to get 'another' edjucation, and start all over again!!! WHY do I want that?  

So that you might learn the proper spelling of the word "education"?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I never said Bush outsourced jobs... Kerry's never said that he blaims companies that outsource... "He said that it'll happen.. it's a fact"... But, my point is, what is A PRESIDENT (whomever it will be), going to do about these situations... Will he help me go back to school? or will he start making efforts to 'encourage' jobs to stay in the USA?

That school thing might not be such a bad idea.
You say you've already spent $35,000 on your "education", huh?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#15]
The things that you own end up owning you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Frankly, no politician will be able to solve the outsourcing issue.  As long as we have a free market, capitalist economy, jobs will come and go and nobody is safe.

The fact is, if you have a low value-added, low skill job, it's in danger of being sent overseas or lost to automation.  Even if you have a high-skill job, competitive market forces will always force companies to seek the highest rate of return in their personnel budgets.

Just curious, but why do you think that the President is soley responsible for your career and well-being?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That school thing might not be such a bad idea.
You say you've already spent $35,000 on your "education", huh?

You've never had a typo?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Everybody’s opinion should be heard, not just ones we agree with 100%.

Actually, not EVERYONE's opinion should be heard.

Some people are idiots, and their opinions only prevent actual logic being discussed and things achieved.

People have the 1st Amend right of SPEECH - NOT the right to be heard

Then do us all a favor and spend your "Valuable” time on another thread.

Telling idiots to bugger off is a good investment of my time.

LOTS of people here are fully capable of giving solid answers to the posters Kerry campaign talking points.

My role is simply to let him know we're wise to his crock o' ....er, song and dance.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

A President can't do much by himself. Now if the President and the Congress got together and decided to push a national effort to reduce the government mandated costs of employing people (payroll taxes, etc...) to make the average US worker more competitive as a candidate, then they could accomplish a great deal.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#20]
If workers in Mexico can do your job for less money, then by all means your job should be outsourced. And you should go find something more productive to do . . .

It is all just a matter of supply and demand, and the efficient use of resources. If forign workers do something more efficently, it makes sense for them to be doing it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Basically, some jobs will go overseas. No matter who wins this election.
The basic solution is quality of workforce over quantity and price.
We can't compete with all those low income countries as far a cheap labor is concerned. There's no way to change that in my opinion, but we can and have to better educate and continue to educate our own workforce. Yes, that might mean a career change for some folks. Even after 15 years. Learning a profession and working in it until retirement will be the exception and not the rule.
You might not want to do that, but it's not about wanting it's about necessity.... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we will adapt and overcome once again. This will be one of the most fundamental challenges of the intermediate future....

Not even economists agree on the tax structure of corporate america. So, this is even harder to evaluate. On one hand you'd like to financially encourage companies to stay here, on the other hand you want them to succees in a free market place too. To some extend that's a catch 22....
Punishing companies for reorganizing to take advantage of cheaper labor isn't really the answer. Especially if we're talking about american companies who's corporate profits end up in the US of A in some form and shape.  There are quite some arguments against this kind of reasoning too I have to add...

As long as we (read: you and I) continue to buy imported goods because they're cheaper than domestically produced goods this will continue to be an ever increasing challenge.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Dude, I know some registered nurses, and they are starving for work here in austin... the pay keeps going down...   and as far as the jobs that require an edjucation to match the job?  Well, my situation, Design Engineer... I design electronics...  I have a B. of science...   THESE jobs are far from stable.  These jobs are going to india where the pay is $2,000 a year!  My friend went to school for a Computer science degree (4 years)...  He actually had to train someone in india to do his job, then he got laid off...   So, now he can't find a job to save his life!  So he has to go back to school for something other than programming...  (he's been out of work for a while now becuase he simply can't get a job in his feild anymore... and he can't get a job making less becuase he's 'overqualified').
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A President can't do much by himself. Now if the President and the Congress got together and decided to push a national effort to reduce the government mandated costs of employing people (payroll taxes, etc...) to make the average US worker more competitive as a candidate, then they could accomplish a great deal.

The basic problem in the US relates to unions and other efforts to support inefficient labor activities. Minimum wage, etc. We should return to true free markets, and let the market determine the correct outcome, rather than engaging in the leftist conceit of forcing the economy to behave according to our preconceived notions and shallow understanding of the forces at work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What about my mortgage? Will he pay that? Will he put food in my fridge?  

That is sad you want Government to help you out to that extent...do you have a poster on your wall that says "Workers of the World Unite"??
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The basic problem in the US relates to unions and other efforts to support inefficient labor activities. Minimum wage, etc. We should return to true free markets, and let the market determine the correct outcome, rather than engaging in the leftist conceit of forcing the economy to behave according to our preconceived notions and shallow understanding of the forces at work.

On no, please stop posting this BS.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Dude, I know some registered nurses, and they are starving for work here in austin... the pay keeps going down...   and as far as the jobs that require an edjucation to match the job?  Well, my situation, Design Engineer... I design electronics...  I have a B. of science...   THESE jobs are far from stable.  These jobs are going to india where the pay is $2,000 a year!  My friend went to school for a Computer science degree (4 years)...  He actually had to train someone in india to do his job, then he got laid off...   So, now he can't find a job to save his life!  So he has to go back to school for something other than programming...  (he's been out of work for a while now becuase he simply can't get a job in his feild anymore... and he can't get a job making less becuase he's 'overqualified').

I suppose when they invented the backhoe, you'd be clamoring the gov't to protect your garden shovel ditch digging job. Rather than getting re-trained as a backhoe operator / service technician.

Improvise, or die.

If you think gov't is the answer, then you are the problem.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Damn it man! The word is "EDUCATION", not "edjucation".
No wonder you are having such trouble.

E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N

There's no "J".  
Go look at your Resume.  If it looks like this:

Edjucation:
BS in Electronics Design

That might explain why you're having difficulty finding a good job.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Sure, I'll tell you what's wrong.  

People expect the President to be their babysitter.  What do you want Bush to do?  Order those companies not to send jobs overseas?  Bush isn't outsourcing jobs, companies are.  It's a free market.  
Are you going to complain about how Bush is preventing you from dating women too?   Is that his job too?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Dude, I know some registered nurses, and they are starving for work here in austin... the pay keeps going down...  

It seems to me that RNs need to be located in the US to compete here. If they are having problems finding work and high pay, it suggests a glut in the supply of RNs to me.

Quoted:
and as far as the jobs that require an edjucation to match the job?  Well, my situation, Design Engineer... I design electronics...  I have a B. of science...   THESE jobs are far from stable.  These jobs are going to india where the pay is $2,000 a year!  My friend went to school for a Computer science degree (4 years)...  He actually had to train someone in india to do his job, then he got laid off...   So, now he can't find a job to save his life!  So he has to go back to school for something other than programming...  (he's been out of work for a while now becuase he simply can't get a job in his feild anymore... and he can't get a job making less becuase he's 'overqualified').

Hmm. I also worked as a EE design engineer, but I had little experience, and was laid off after 9/11. Now I'm working as a systems engineer, and making quite a bit more than I did while I was in electrical design. But frankly, if someone off shore can do your job more efficiently, more power to them. While our design engineers might have a hard time as a result, over all Americans will be better off. Cheaper high quality products for all more than balances out a loss of jobs in one sector.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Damn it man! The word is "EDUCATION", not "edjucation".
No wonder you are having such trouble.

]

He's searching for a school to attend, but is looking for a building with the word "skuul" on it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I keep hearing things like "If workers in Mexico can do your job for less money, then by all means your job should be outsourced."...
  That's all well and good... but why not get some regulation involved here.   The only reason that companies have to outsource, is becuase their competetor is doing it... and to remain competitive, they too, have to outsource.   Domino effect. Why not regulation... or SOMEthing.  My point is just this, what is 'a' president going to do about the outsourcing of jobs? Will he help me go back to school? or will he help me go back to school, AND put regulations in place?  I realize that jobs will be outsource, but to just sit on a stump and say, "Yea... them ant's are going to bite you", dont' just sit there, get up, and say, Damn, them ant's bite!  and brush them off, and put some poison down, or do SOMEthing...  
   -oh, and as far as someone saying that I'm expecting bush to pay my mortgage is just down right wrong.   Your misunderstood my sarcasm.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Union = OPEC with oil replaced by labor.

Watching the unions fade away is a source of great pleasure. Kinda like watching the Berlin wall fall . . .

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
... but why not get some regulation involved here.   .

Because the gov't F's up everything it touches.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Pitiful.
Absolutely pitiful.

For God's sake man.  Pull yourself together.
Act like a man.
Stop whining.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Union = OPEC with oil replaced by labor.

Watching the unions fade away is a source of great pleasure. Kinda like watching the Berlin wall fall . . .

Your a pure joke. Unions seem to be doing fine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Bush doesn't outsource jobs.

Companies outsource jobs - if it's economically vialble to them.

BTW you should point out Heinz had outsourced the majority of it's jobs - yet Kerry says nothing (of course not he profited DIRECTLY from it).

Bush is the President. The buck stops there.

He is our leader and should show us some leadership.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Bush is the President. The buck stops there.

He is our leader and should show us some leadership.

Funny - I dont need the President to give me any leadership.

I employed him to get the gov't OUT OF the way, and stay out of my way himself.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I keep hearing things like "If workers in Mexico can do your job for less money, then by all means your job should be outsourced."...
  That's all well and good... but why not get some regulation involved here.   The only reason that companies have to outsource, is becuase their competetor is doing it... and to remain competitive, they too, have to outsource.   Domino effect. Why not regulation... or SOMEthing.  My point is just this, what is 'a' president going to do about the outsourcing of jobs? Will he help me go back to school? or will he help me go back to school, AND put regulations in place?  I realize that jobs will be outsource, but to just sit on a stump and say, "Yea... them ant's are going to bite you", dont' just sit there, get up, and say, Damn, them ant's bite!  and brush them off, and put some poison down, or do SOMEthing...  
   -oh, and as far as someone saying that I'm expecting bush to pay my mortgage is just down right wrong.   Your misunderstood my sarcasm.

Quit being such a fucking crybaby.

You are a LOSER or the highest magnitude.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

check, mike_of_austin is a "conservative".

riiiiiiiight.

i think he fully qualifies as dumb  troll.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Cheaper high quality products for all more than balances out a loss of jobs in one sector.

Dude... have you ever called Dell tech support? I see no quality in that!!!  

I have learned, that until it hits home, it really doesnt become an issue.  I don't have any kids..., so 'edJucation', never strikes me as an important topic.
   I'm guessing that alot of people out there have a job, or, are not going to be effected by jobs.  I've also heard that the 'services' industries will be the only jobs that are stable.  Dry cleaners, shoe repairman, hair salons, auto repair, and cooks).

(p.s. Yea, my spelling isn't soo good...  the 'J' was a friendly poke)
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Joke, huh?

What about all of your pitiful whining?
Is that also a joke?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
  I have learned, that until it hits home, it really doesnt become an issue.

You haven't learned anything, cuz you aren't listening.

You think just because we don't have a problem with outsourcing that we've never lost jobs to outsourcing??

WRONG.

The ONLY difference between us and you is you see a half empty glass witha  gov't save me attitude.

We see a glass half full, and understand we are the solution to the problems we confront.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Dang, only a two pager...  
 O.K.  my goal now is a three pager...

-you've all been X'ed.

J/k....  No, this has been kind of waying on my mind. I just see that some regulation needs to occur, before people find themselves sitting on their talebone saying "What the F#$% Happened? Everything was going soo good!"...  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I'm a republican, so dont think I'm 'immediately a kerry support. Instead, I'm just trying to understand some things here...   Bush's solution to the outsourcing of jobs just doesnt make since to me...  He say's that he'll help people that lost their jobs to outsourcing, to go back to school.  What does this mean? That he will give me a $1,000 tax break if I'm a student? What about my mortgage? Will he pay that? Will he put food in my fridge?

[Sarcasm mode: on]

Mike,

All of these guys saying..."Bush isn't the problem, you are. Get off your azz and improvise"

Listen to them...they're the "know it all's". Why don't you get off your azz just do your own outsourcing. Find some programmers in India, and contact 3M , Computer Sciences, Global Crossing, and Sprint.

Why fight a useless fight? You won't win, and they'll just flame you to death.

If the trend is Global Outsourcing, and Bush thinks it's not worth his effort to protect American Jobs, why the hell are YOU still hanging on?  Go with the flow, buddy!

[Sarcasm mode: off]

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Dang, only a two pager...  
 O.K.  my goal now is a three pager...

-you've all been X'ed.

J/k....  No, this has been kind of waying on my mind. I just see that some regulation needs to occur, before people find themselves sitting on their talebone saying "What the F#$% Happened? Everything was going soo good!"...  

Been "waying" on your mind, huh?
"Talebone"?
Your jokes just keep coming.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Sarcasm mode: on]

Mike,

All of these guys saying..."Bush isn't the problem, you are. Get off your azz and improvise"

Listen to them...they're the "know it all's". Why don't you get off your azz just do your own outsourcing. Find some programmers in India, and contact 3M , Computer Sciences, Global Crossing, and Sprint.

Why fight a useless fight? You won't win, and they'll just flame you to death.

If the trend is Global Outsourcing, and Bush thinks it's not worth his effort to protect American Jobs, why the hell are YOU still hanging on? Go with the flow, buddy!

I owe you a beer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Fifteen years ago I was logging and working retail/wholesale at an electrical and plumbing supply company. Things change I can do those same jobs for half the money I was making 15 years ago or I can roll with the times and find something different.

You can’t blame a President for your decisions. You are the product of your decisions and if your skills aren’t needed it maybe time to find a few new skills.

I find that most people try to live way beyond their means and then complain when they have no money at the end of the month.

Sorry for the rant, I just get tired of people passing the buck.

The President is there for one purpose….Commander and Chief...not to satisfy a bunch of special interests.

Enjoy your day...it is what you make it.

MT
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Been "waying" on your mind, huh?
"Talebone"?
Your jokes just keep coming.

aktuly, Im dis-lexus...   not a comedein  ;)
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#50]
The US economy has been outsourcing jobs since the end of WW2. Everything you buy that is imported is another American job lost. Why do you blame Bush?

There are growth markets in other parts of the world, right now, India and China. In order to compete in those markets, American companies must  built plants near those markets, such as they did in Canada, or like like Japan builts car factories in the US and Mexico to serve the American market.

The outsourcing issue is the result of almost 60 years of Americans buying foreign goods in a free market. We spent our money overseas and after 60 years, the foreign markets are up to their asses in American money. If American companies don't go after those markets, other foreign companies will.

There isn't anything Bush can do about it, the ball is somebody else's court right now. Pay down your debt and you will become more attractive to the global economy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top