Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2004 8:29:22 AM EDT
its legal to ship a firearm through the US post office right??  I was shipping something else today and asked about shipping a firearm to a dealer  and they said no thats against the law (even the postmaster said this).  Now I know by law I have to notify them that its a firearm, how am I supposed to do that itf they think its illegal??

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
its legal to ship a firearm through the US post office right??

Yes, it is legal to ship a rifle or shotgun through the post office. It is illegal to ship handguns through the post office.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]
but what do I do when I tell them its a firearm??  The guy at the front and the postmaster thinks it illegal
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Ship FedEx or UPS instead. The PO employees are idiots.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Ask them to show you the reg. that states it is illegal to ship long guns.  They won't be able to provide it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
its legal to ship a firearm through the US post office right??  I was shipping something else today and asked about shipping a firearm to a dealer  and they said no thats against the law (even the postmaster said this).  Now I know by law I have to notify them that its a firearm, how am I supposed to do that itf they think its illegal??

USPS:  No traceability.  Shipment verification is NOT traceability.  

FedEx, insurance and traceability.

UPS, insurance, traceability, and assholes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

USPS:  No traceability.  Shipment verification is NOT traceability.  

FedEx, insurance and traceability.

UPS, insurance, traceability, and assholes.

yeah I would like a tracking # and such but ive heard horror stories of people trying to ship a gun through UPS.  Right when you say its a firearm they say "oh thats illegal"
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
but what do I do when I tell them its a firearm??  The guy at the front and the postmaster thinks it illegal

Tell them to go get the Domestic Mail Manual (they have one in the post office).

Tell them to look up DMM C 024 - the whole section deals with mailing firearms

Section 3.0 essentially says that as long as a rifle itself doesn't violate federal gun laws and it complies with DMM C024 1.2 (non-concealable - i.e. isn't a handgun) and C024 1.1e (barrel length 16" or greater) - then it can be mailed.

You can also find the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) on-line, so you can always print this stuff out and give it to them at the post office.

I always bring it with me.  While it annoying to have to teach people how to do their jobs, at least it saves me a trip.

Also note the they are PROHIBITED by law from marking the package in any way to indicate that it contains a firarm, but they are allowed to open the package to inspect it (and make sure it is unloaded).  That latter point - their right to inspect it - is why it is implied that you have to tell them it is a firearm, so when people advise you to "just tell them it's machine parts" - I would advise against that.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell them to go get the Domestic Mail Manual (they have one in the post office).

Section 3.0 essentially says that as long as a rifle itself doesn't violate federal gun laws and it complies with DMM C024 1.2 (non-concealable - i.e. isn't a handgun) and C024 1.1e (barrel length 16" or greater) - then it can be mailed.

You can also find the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) on-line, so you can always print this stuff out and give it to them at the post office.

I always bring it with me.  While it annoying to have to teach people how to do their jobs, at least it saves me a trip.

Also note the they are PROHIBITED by law from marking the package in any way to indicate that it contains a firarm, but they are allowed to open the package to inspect it (and make sure it is unloaded).  That latter point - their right to inspect it - is why it is implied that you have to tell them it is a firearm, so when people advise you to "just tell them it's machine parts" - I would advise against that.

The Postal Service may have more than an "implied" right to have notice that a firearm is being shipped.  18 USC 922(e) states:

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

If the USPS is a "common carrier," then you've got to provide notice to it that you're shipping a firearm or ammo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for the info
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Postal Service may have more than an "implied" right to have notice that a firearm is being shipped.  18 USC 922(e) states:

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

If the USPS is a "common carrier," then you've got to provide notice to it that you're shipping a firearm or ammo.

we already know by law you have to advise them its a firearm
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Ship it by FedEx. The PO is full of idiots.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The section referred above - to having to provide written notice - is only relevant when shipping to recievers OTHER THAN dealers (importers, etc).

So as long as you are shipping to an FFL, you don't have to worry about any written notice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I sent mine out via UPS  - labeled it 'machine parts' valued it for the replacement value of the rifle and sent it off to inrange. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dont Tell Them Its A Fire Arm
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The section referred above - to having to provide written notice - is only relevant when shipping to recievers OTHER THAN dealers (importers, etc).

So as long as you are shipping to an FFL, you don't have to worry about any written notice.

The Department of Transportation does not consider the US Postal Service a common carrier.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Even if you can, don't.  They will loose it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Even if you can, don't.  They will loose it.

who ont lose it then??
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ship FedEx or UPS instead. The PO employees are idiots.

+1

USPS rules state you can ship a long gun, but only TO a FFL.   Only an FFL can ship a handgun to another FFL.   I tried to ship a rifle I sold in an auction, and the asshat guy at the PO wouldn't let me ship it.  He pulled the 'postmaster says it's illegal'.  I told him I looked up the rules on the USPS website that same morning, and the restriction was only on handguns.  He wouldn't have it.  I took it to FedEx, and had no problems.  Cost more, but no problems.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Avoid UPS

New rules do not allow the shipment of legal machineguns plus many have had hassles with shipping handguns, rifles, and even uppers!

www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsgarchive.cgi?read=409631
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1  govt. employees with no accountability, and usually bad attitudes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  govt. employees with no accountability, and usually bad attitudes.

you are right about that
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#22]
You are allowed to ship gun parts NOT a completely assembled firearm with all the parts .   Different packages  ???
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You are allowed to ship gun parts NOT a completely assembled firearm with all the parts .   Different packages  ???

??? what are you talking about???
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

??? what are you talking about???

Things he doesn't understand, maybe?  

I think as long as we are all talking about shipping a long run to a FFL, we all agree that it is legal to do through the USPS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top