Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2004 6:37:01 AM EDT
I want to get a General purpose laptop for wireless use around the house.

General uses:
1. Paybills
2. Surf internet
3. Microsoft Office type stuff (excell, word, PP).
4. Store pics

Anyone have any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Unless you really NEED portability, they are a PITA.  YMMV

I agree. I have a laptop and docking station for work. When it's docked and I have a full size keyboard it's basically transparent. When I travel, I see it's limitations.

I'm really looking for portability. I spend a lot of time at home surfing and doing various things. My wife is starting to get jealous of AR15.com . She likes to read so I would like the ability to still surf around yet be in the same room as her (if I choose to). That would make it a no loose situation for me , you know what I mean .

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Find the cheapest Dell or Compaq laptop you can get thru their websites.  It'll be enough for your needs and will have adequate tech support for basic needs.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure she's not too heavy and doesn't mind if you finish before she does.
I don't know much about getting her to pay your bills and all the other stuff.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Compaq V2000 with brite screen. Check it out. Greate computer for the price, and the new brite screens are nice!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unless you really NEED portability, they are a PITA.  YMMV

+1

Especially when it comes to upgrading or repairs. You can build a 911 turbo desktop with what a yugo laptop costs you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#7]
CHECK BATTERY LIFE!!! It is always less than they claim. If you are going wireless, no reason to have to plug in power, at least not all the time. Wireless cards really drain batteries!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude, be sure to get a wireless card and set up a wifi network.  The first time you brouse ARFcom on the crapper you'll know it's worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top