Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 1:06:18 AM EDT
I am looking for advice or reccomendations for a concealed carry holster?????
Here are my options for carry  
Colt 1911-A1
Glock 22
CZ-75
Makarov 9/18
I would like the 2 higher capacity weapons but the problem is the girth of the handles????  I am relatively fit but just enough overweight were the handle edges bulge slightly on the clothing to me it is visible so I can safely say it is visible to others.  This is Louisiana so wearing heavier clothing is impractical 9 1/2 months out of the year and I would prefer not to have to change my wardrobe completely, also if it helps in your advice I typically wear loose clothing ( windpansts, t-shirts, khakis ) and do not often wear jeans.  I am leaning torwards a rig that would go inside the beltline attached to the belt for my 1911-A1 pending other advice.  Being able to make a fast minimally hindered draw is also of upmost importance, also a rig that would keep my finger off the trigger till completely drawn so as to prevent an accidental discharge would be nice!

Any help or advice is appreciated,

Matt
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe try over at packing.org...

edited to add:  I just picked up my VA concealed carry permit and am looking at buying one as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Milt Sparks VMII is the only holster i would ever buy again if mine ever wears out.  I have one for my kimber full size and let me just tell you it is the best holster i have ever owned.  I used to never carry because it was to combersom but now i hardly feel it is there.  Save yourself the hassle of cheaper holsters and just buy the best.  You wont regret it.

With belt   <-------Milt Sparks Versa Max II
Without Belt  <----Belly Band worn at waist level just under swimming shorts or something without belt
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
+1

MS VM2 is the best of all I have tried for both IWB and IWB with tucked shirt.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Milt Sparks VMII is the only holster i would ever buy again if mine ever wears out.  I have one for my kimber full size and let me just tell you it is the best holster i have ever owned.  I used to never carry because it was to combersom but now i hardly feel it is there.  Save yourself the hassle of cheaper holsters and just buy the best.  You wont regret it.

With belt   <-------Milt Sparks Versa Max II

Another vote for VMII!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.miltsparks.com/Products.htm

Great suggestion!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#7]
IWB holsters will "print" less than belt holster, generally.  I prefer outside the belt, but have taken to wearing XXL t shirts in the summertime to help hide it.  A 1911 is a big pistol to try and conceal...my 4" HS2000 works great, but that's about as large as I can go and still be able to dress normal.  

google FIST holsters, and take a look...they have a bunch of styles, and will make them for any pistol on the planet, I believe.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
try bladetechs IWB holsters. i carry a full size 1911 in one all day and it feels great.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Being in Arizona, the concealment clothing has to be thought out ahead of time most of the year.  November-February is not a problem, but the rest of the year...yeah, I know...It's a "dry heat."

I had a Milt Sparks Summer Special for my Sig P220 (sold it...yeah, I know, big mistake to sell it...I'll never to that again!).  The big Sig and the Summer Special worked out quite nice...very nice indeed. About the 10-12 hour mark I'd start getting tired of the holster and noticing it more, but it was so much better than other designs I tried...like those soft-suede $15 IWB holsters.

My current holster is an Aker with a Glock 19.  It fits well and I'm quite happy with it. I can tuck my shirt in with it, but still, the whole thing takes up a little room.  Buying pants an extra inch or two in the waistband makes a huge difference.  Putting a Leatherman-type tool exposed on the belt just ahead of the gun seems to cover up the bulge quite well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#10]
VMII
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would like the 2 higher capacity weapons but the problem is the girth of the handles????  Matt

Why do you want the high mag capacity? It is very unlikely that you will have more than 2 seconds of shooting time, so the limiting factor is time, not capacity.

My preference would be for the weapon I could score several accurate hits with the fastest, starting with the weapon in a holster. The Makorov probably lacks good state of the art JHP loads, so unless I shot it way better than the others (or if it was the only one I could conceal), I'd be inclined to leave it home.

The Glock points very differently than the 1911 and the CZ, due to the grip angle. I prefer that all my serious sidearms point the same. I would not carry them interchangably.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're OK with kydex, I have used the Comp-tac CTAC holster for about 6 months now.
With my XD 4" I like it, hold tight against the body, and it is tuckable.  Wear a t-shirt under it and no discomfort at all.  You can adjust it to get the best fit and carry angle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered a VMII for my Kimber.  They said it would take 8-12 weeks!  But I've heard so many good things about it, I figure it's worth the wait.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:18:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just ordered a VMII for my Kimber.  They said it would take 8-12 weeks!  But I've heard so many good things about it, I figure it's worth the wait.

IT IS
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been carrying a SIG229 in my VMII for several years now. It only gets better with age. If possible go with the sharkskin, and the matching belt, it wears like iron!! expensive but worth every penny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top