Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 11:33:28 PM EDT

www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=qw1097915222480B231

Prairie dogs rummage historic US cemetery

October 17 2004 at 05:46PM

Santa Fe - A happy colony of New Mexico prairie dogs hit pay dirt in a cemetery full of historic skeletons, causing grief for town officials who want to protect the final resting place of the state's notables.

Prairie dogs are gnawing their way through skeletons in a historic cemetery in Sante Fe that houses the remains of three New Mexico governors, 10 mayors and other notables. They are leaving mounds of dirt mixed with human bones in a 1,6-hectare lot in the heart of the city.

"It's a catastrophe," Erik Mason, president of the Fairview Cemetery Preservation Association, which runs the facility, said on Friday. "I would love to take them out one by one but you can't fire a rifle in the city limits."

The city requires a humane relocation of prairie dogs, but the preservation association does not have enough money to move the large colony.

Mason said he tried different strategies to get rid of the prairie dog invasion, including putting dry ice down the holes and plugging them with newspaper.

"Nothing worked," he said.

The cute critters called prairie dogs are not dogs, but rodents, sold in many places as pets. They typically live in a family group and adults measure between 30cm and 38cm in height.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, people lack the sense to shoot and poison them
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
thread..... worthless.....pics?

I would pay to see a prarie dog sticking his head out of a hole with a femur in his mouth. Now THAT would be funny.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Time for the " rodenator " Dead praire dogs and exploding coffins
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll shoot them all for free.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

"It's a catastrophe," Erik Mason, president of the Fairview Cemetery Preservation Association, which runs the facility, said on Friday. "I would love to take them out one by one but you can't fire a rifle in the city limits."

And you will risk goto jail!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you will risk goto jail!

Oh come on, who ever got anything without risking something?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
they need this  prairie dog vacuum

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

As most people know, you can not breathe in a vacuum.

Yeah, in an actual vacuum. That doesn't apply to a vacuum CLEANER! What dingus wrote that article?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
WTF?

"The Prairie Dog, It's an Entire Ecosystem!"

"Common Brown Rat, It's an Entire Ecosystem!"

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#10]
This calls for desperate measures... time to bring in a professional...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Well then, we'll have to use a machine gun.  Wouldn't want to break the law.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This calls for desperate measures... time to bring in a professional...

www.gamespy.com/legacy/top10/diablobbq/caddyshack.jpg

LOL - that made my morning.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:38:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Please notice in the upper left corner of the page that the little design the person has next to the banner of their site says "Targeting Prairie Dog Survival", is a rifle scope with it's crosshairs over the prairie dog! How great is that?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#14]
People should go after the little rodents, however, proceed with caution.

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top