Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 8:45:41 PM EDT
Friday night I come home to my 4 year old vomiting up a storm. Saturday noon she was fine. Last night about 2 AM my 1 year old starts hurling. He was bad all night... He finally went to sleep about 8 this morning and pretty much slept all day with a few bites to eat here and there and some water.

Wife has been down since 9 this morning and cant keep ANYTHING down. She had a few sips of tea and came back up. Any of you doctors know if something is going around and what can help her get through this.

Im afraid I may be next... I feel fine... for now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this the same little one who had the medical problem?

My gal is a RN..let me know.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Did it just start raining where you live? In our last house whenever the rain would come the mold would go nuts and get us all sick.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Im afraid I may be next... I feel fine... for now.

That's what they all say: right before the blood-sucking, brain-eating, penile dissolving alien takes control of their body!

No, really, sorry to make jest out of your plight ... get well soon
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I know this doesn't help but there is a wicked virus going around.  LOTS OF FLUIDS!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is this the same little one who had the medical problem?

My gal is a RN..let me know.

WOW Great Memory!!!

the 4 year old is the one but she is fine. My 1 year old son is fine now... starting to perk up... The wife is the one that is down... freaking me out actually.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#6]
ummm.....this could get serious.....ummmm....go seek ACTUAL medical help...(not the online kind)
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know this doesn't help but there is a wicked virus going around.  LOTS OF FLUIDS!

Actually, you dont know how much that helps... as long as I know there is something going around... I feel better... if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#8]
So,

Your  4 year old gets it first, and it is over in 24 hrs.  Your 1 year old gets it and it is over in 24 hours.  Your wife just got it.   Barring anyone having extended bouts of diarrhea or vomiting (over 24 hours), I wouldn't sweat it (unless they start having blood in their vomit or stool, and have a fever that will not come down with Ibuprofen or Tylenol).

AFARR

PS,  You're next, might as well get the vomit bucket out for yourself.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I assume that since it's on different days, it's not a food thing, especially since the 1yo probably wasn't eating the same food as the rest of you. Bad water? Bad Milk? I'd clean out the fridge, and give the house a good cleaning. It's very possible you are all just passing a 24 hour thing around, I'm only have EMT training, but just a general thing is to try to keep your wife hydrated.  Tea might not be the best depending on what it is, sometimes it will actually dehydrate people like coffee and soda does.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard that there is a wicked Ebola thing going around with individuals mating with monkeys... any knowledge of monkey mating in the family?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably a little Gastroenteritis. Most likely viral and you will just have to ride it out. If they all got sick at once, I would consider food poisoning, but I doubt it with your story. Just to be safe though, make sure there isn't something in the fridge that is out of date or left overs etc. Main thing is keep your hands washed and it will cut down on your chances of getting it. Watch your families fluid intake. I would have a VERY low threshold for taking the 1 year old to the hospital for IV fluids. If the lips and mouth get dry and cracked they are already significantly dehydrated.
Good luck, it looks worse than it is.
tony, MS4
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Probably a little Gastroenteritis. Most likely viral and you will just have to ride it out. If they all got sick at once, I would consider food poisoning, but I doubt it with your story. Just to be safe though, make sure there isn't something in the fridge that is out of date or left overs etc. Main thing is keep your hands washed and it will cut down on your chances of getting it. Watch your families fluid intake. I would have a VERY low threshold for taking the 1 year old to the hospital for IV fluids. If the lips and mouth get dry and cracked they are already significantly dehydrated.
tony, MS4

Good advice, Wash everything that you can, make sure the vomit bucket doesn't hang around too long before you empty it, and rinse it out well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would have a VERY low threshold for taking the 1 year old to the hospital for IV fluids. If the lips and mouth get dry and cracked they are already significantly dehydrated.
tony, MS4

1 year old is up and drinking and playing like nothing ever happened... its Mom im worried about.

And I practically NEVER see her down for the count.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Just a Moms opinion but pedialyte(sp) is great for your little one.  I feel bad for Mom, is she able to hold chicken broth down?  This "thing" took us about 3 days before we felt right again, let us know what the Doc says.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude, my goddaughter had samething pretty bad a little more than a year ago... We took her to the hospital. Two days later, her mom gets sick... Then me and her father got it, same thing you describe.
It lasted exactly 24hrs... Hit me @ 1a and I felt like a million buck @ 1a the next day. But, I was bad sick. It is the only time I have seriously considered killing myself. I was shitting and throwing up, non-stop, and lots of times doing it at the same time. My ass hurt so bad I quit using toliet paper and just washed my ass after every time. It was fucking horrible, my temp was outragous.

I hope your family gets better soon... Remember, you can never get enough fluids, espically in the little ones. I was so worried, I IVd a couple of bags into me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#16]
HYDRATION HYDRATION
REST
GOTO ER IF TOO DEHYDRATED

Most likely the flu.  I would keep everyone hydrated and if anyone looks lethargic etc take them to the hospital.  It will pass but the little guys can get pretty sick and I have a low tolerance for taking them to the hospital.  Wash your hands carefully.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a bug for 3 or 4 days just last week.  Nasal congestion and drainage causing a little bit of a sore throat and chest congestion.  I muddled through staying active and drinking water as much as possible.  Drink water.  

This is typically the way a virus gets me as I don't get stomach or bowel problems.  So, yeah, I think it's likely a 3-5 day thing, sometimes longer if you eat poorly and don't hydrate.

Hope she feels better soon......
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#18]
right now i have the same problem on the other end of things.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#19]
This would be the reason I keep washing my hands and am hiding in my room....I refuse to get sick!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Wash hands, disinfect everything.  Lots of fluids, don't be afraid to go to the ED.  Watch the wife's mucous membranes, eyes, lips, and if her skin starts to hold its shape if pinched up--time for IV fluid.  It should pass, but the bounce back is always rough.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this the first time your family has ever been sick?

Wait 4 days and they will be fine.

Not much else you can do.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

SGtar15

Why Yes. ... Yes it is.

Actually, just the timing of everyone taking VOMIT SHIFTS is weird. I have not puked in 6 years... beofre that it was like 15 years... YES I COUNTED!!!! I hate puking.... LOVE stuffing... HATE puking.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGtar15

Why Yes. ... Yes it is.

Actually, just the timing of everyone taking VOMIT SHIFTS is weird. I have not puked in 6 years... beofre that it was like 15 years... YES I COUNTED!!!! I hate puking.... LOVE stuffing... HATE puking.

Only five-six years for me...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]
My littlest got this bug a couple of weeks ago. Towards the end of his bout, I got it too. Starts with a low-grade fever and nausea, followed by usually vomitin, then taking the A Train to a high fever for 6-18 hours, followed by a low grade fever/malaise for 24-48 hours more. You will probably shit yellow-brown water that stinks like something unholy. My wife works at a hospital, the docs told me they saw a spike in late September of a Viral Stomach Flu (which is when this happened);

Hydrate with pedialyte or water, chicken broth only. (The old wive's tale is right in this case... starve a fever, feed a cold.) It got me too and I normally don't get sick bad enough to vomit. The good thing is the worst of it passes quickly. Better now than in the deep of winter.

When I realized I was STARTING to get nauseous, I cut the corner and took the Ipecac Challenge. I'm glad I did, for it seemed to help with frank symptoms, tho the fever did take me down hard for about 12 hours.

Sorry for all the vivid detail, but this sure sounds like what you guys got. If the vomit goes bloody or the stool goes coal black, get to a doctor immediately.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My littlest got this bug a couple of weeks ago. Towards the end of his bout, I got it too. Starts with a low-grade fever and nausea, followed by usually vomitin, then taking the A Train to a high fever for 6-18 hours, followed by a low grade fever/malaise for 24-48 hours more. You will probably shit yellow-brown water that stinks like something unholy. My wife works at a hospital, the docs told me they saw a spike in late September of a Viral Stomach Flu (which is when this happened);

Hydrate with pedialyte or water, chicken broth only. (The old wive's tale is right in this case... starve a fever, feed a cold.) It got me too and I normally don't get sick bad enough to vomit. The good thing is the worst of it passes quickly. Better now than in the deep of winter.

When I realized I was STARTING to get nauseous, I cut the corner and took the Ipecac Challenge. I'm glad I did, for it seemed to help with frank symptoms, tho the fever did take me down hard for about 12 hours.

Sorry for all the vivid detail, but this sure sounds like what you guys got. If the vomit goes bloody or the stool goes coal black, get to a doctor immediately.

First of all CONGRATS on the 100th post. Second... it sounds like what you had but minus the fever. as I said, the two youngins, they shook it off like a bad case of fleas... The bride on the other hand isnt fairing foo well. She just now took some water and its been 15 minutes ... so far no barf.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Isn't it strange you breathe a sigh of relief when you don't hear a loved one hurl? My son puked up a storm, my daughter never got it. My wife *may* have had it 2 weeks before, I'm not certain but she seemed to recover quickly.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Any update? I expect it to be better.
tony
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Any update? I expect it to be better.
tony

Okay, Dad is not home, so I will update....Mom is feeling better, but not entirely...still avoiding everyone upstairs in my room just in case...No one is really sick right now...and I'm hoping it stays that way.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#29]
My family has been going through this this past week. Wife was also down for several days.

You guys who commented that it has been ___ years since you puked are toast now. Last time I bragged that it had been 5-6 years since I puked... the very next week I got food poisoning and puked like never before. Now... I choose not to even contemplate how long it's been. Don't even wanna think about it. Also... since I last puked I have been doing 2 years of abdominal crunches. I am hoping that next time I get the hurls my in-shape stomach muscles will better handle it and my eyes and head won't feel like they are going to explode.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#30]
keep everybody hydrated, even if they have problems keeping it down, pedialyte, gatorade (since you're only talking a few day thing), fruit juices maybe clear non-caffeinated soft drinks, sugar, water and minerals.  The drinks are great in quantity but you are talking kids and trying to get a lot of fluids in and staying in.

Colas , some teas, coffee and other caffeinated drinks don't work as caffeine is a diutretic and pull fluids out.

A few days isn't too bad, I had stomach flu  for about two weeks once, fever, vomiting and diarhhea, about all I could do was suck ice cubes and sip Sprite.  Only good thing was I lost about 15 pounds.  But I don't recommend it as a diet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#31]
OH YEAH I am STILL not sick!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I think I got sick though
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#33]
SITREP: Wife, and two youngin's are fine now. ME on the other hand. I sound like the guy from the Men's Wearhouse... You know the one..."I guarantee it"

Sore throat.... ugh... BUT!! No technicolor yawn!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I got sick though

Yeah, sorry about getting you sick over the comp e-sick
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like Christmas in my house last year. It was a 24 hour flu bug and we all pulled thru okay but it sucked ass. It started with my little ones and hit us all one at a time.

I am NOT a Doctor but I can tell you this much:

Feed a cold STARVE a flu. Plenty of fluids. Vomiting is your bodies natural response to obtrusive viruses. Dont fight it. Dehydration on the other hand is your enemy. A simple check for dehydration is to pinch the skin on the back of ones hand. If it snaps right back down they are good to go. If it is very slow at returning to its normal position they are dehydrated and fluids need to be administered. IV's work great for treating dehydration. Professional help should be sought immediately if the victim is dehydrated.

Prepare NOW for the inevitable. You will most likely suffer the same fate as you have been exposed. If your family needs anything to get thru the next 24-48 hours you should go get it before you become ill. Better yet have a friend/family member who is not sick go get it and leave it outside your door for you. The less people you expose to the virus the better.

Good Luck. Hope you all feel better soon. - Nugz

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Time for a second update! I spoke to soon...I woke up feeling HORRIBLE today and somehow managed to go this far without throwing up...yet. I'm feeling much better after having crackers and tea though...Dad said his stomach is starting to hurt too. Everyone else is feeling fine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like the stomach flu...........common, goes away in 24 hrs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like I got to this one late. Sorry DrFrige.
Viral gastroenteritis("stomach flu") is almost certainly the correct diagnosis.

Emmetrol is something you can get over the counter for nausea and vomiting. That is the worst part. I use phenergan, tigan, zofran or compazine to suppress nausea and vomiting but all are prescription meds. Some can be injected or given as suppositories. Emmetrol works for alot of people. Go ahead and suppress nausea and vomiting.

Rehydration is great but if someone is actively vomiting, trying to force fluids is only inducing more vomiting and making things worse.

Diarrhea is far more likely to get you dehydrated than vomiting. Far more.
Avoid water for rehydration with diarrhea. It will only make the diarrhea worse. Powerade, gatorade or 7up. For kids, pedialyte or you can do a 50/50 gatorade and 7up.
Immodium AD for diarrhea and will help with some of the cramps.

That is the short course.
Try the emmetrol. Trick is keeping it down long enough for it to help.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Probably a little late for DaFrige and family but if any of y’all find yourselves coming down with this go to a doc in a box and get Phenergan and Lomotil…

I would advise lots of rest but if you actually take phenergan and lomotil, rest will not be a problem. The good news is that after about your second or third dose you will be over that crap. - And you will have slept through most of it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll second the rec. to avoid plain water to re-hydrate;  it makes vomiting worse in many cases.

Small sips of gatorade or 7-Up with the bubbles shaken out, or herbal tea with a little bit of sugar or honey work better.  The kids can do pedialyte - it tastes like spit to me .  

Time is your friend!  That, and lots of towels for the little ones to vomit on- just scoop them up and toss 'em in the washer.  The towels, that it...

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#41]
It's rough when the whole family comes down sick, but look at it this way, you probably
all built a resistance to future out breaks for the rest of the winter.

GM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top