Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2004 6:15:44 PM EDT
It was good, REALLY good CGI, really keeps you going and never gets boring.  If they could have that movie with all the special effects without all the environmental mumbo-jumbo I would like it a lot more.  The end and especially the last line in the movie was too environmental and dumb for me to take seriously.  I, myself do not believe the environment is weak and even if the entire world tried to screw the earth up they couldn't.  Anyway, it was a good movie, it was worth seeing but if they could just leave out the dumb crap.   *sigh*  I gotta go so this had to be brief.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Entertaining movie, but I though it was a cookie cutter disaster flick.. nothing special.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife had to see it when it came out and even she couldn't get past the blatant eviro crap. Notice that only the countries harming the enviroment are destroyed! The righteous turd world countries are spared! Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually thought it was much better than most disaster movies, just in the fact that it really could happen (although it would be over th span of 6-7 months instead of a week), and that it wasn't all stereotypes, i.e. the rich guy wasn't an asshole and there was no screaming woman going "we're all going to die!!!"

Anyway, I liked it a lot.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Soooo...watch it for the CGI, I guess...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I want my money back.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
they hyped it up to be the greatest movie ever.

it was dissapointing.

i wanted to see Castaway on a much larger, disaterous scale.  that didnt happen.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
We still haven't had the quinticential SHTF movie.   I wish they would make a movie version of Lucifer's Hammer and not f- it up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We still haven't had the quinticential SHTF movie.   I wish they would make a movie version of Lucifer's Hammer and not f- it up.

when was the last all out SHTF\survival movie made?

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Red Dawn.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
thats too damn long.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Tornadoes destroy the "Hollywood" sign and several feet of snow fall.  This passes for a disaster?  I'd show up for work the next day.  The CGI was impressive, but being attacked by timber wolves that escaped from the zoo?  Come on.  That merely reinforces the fact that those kids should have taken more shooting-oriented extra-curricular activities.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dawn of the Dead '04.  That is the most recent one I can think of.  Great film, I wish it would have spent more time on the collapse of society on the large scale.  The beginning scenes were some of the best, especially the scene on the capitol steps.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dawn of the Dead '04.  That is the most recent one I can think of.  Great film, I wish it would have spent more time on the collapse of society on the large scale.  The beginning scenes were some of the best, especially the scene on the capitol steps.

havent seen that one yet.

has it made its way to video yet?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
'k', i'm back.  Yeah, it was a cool movie, but not a great movie.  Oh, btw...how can granet tile freeze?  How can concrete freeze?  I don't know, it just bothered me.  I liked it most for the CGI and it was fun to watch.  Other than that i didn't really like it.  I knew that the only thing about it was going to be the CGI so I didn't see it in theatres.  one of the best disaster movie I've seen is Deep Impact.  That's something that could actually happen and it was just an all-around good movie.  I also saw Walking Tall yesterday.  It was good.  I was actually surprised.  So was Punisher.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I've saw it at Wall-Mart today for $15. Not worth it. I would rent at the local video store.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Why did the Statue of Liberty not fold up like a beer can under your foot when the tidal wave hit it?

The ignorant fools who designed this forgot that the Statue isn made of rock or concrete.  Its copper of all things over wrought iron (not even steel). And the water hitting it massed a few million tons.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why did the Statue of Liberty not fold up like a beer can under your foot when the tidal wave hit it?

The ignorant fools who designed this forgot that the Statue isn made of rock or concrete.  Its copper of all things over wrought iron (not even steel). And the water hitting it massed a few million tons.  

Yeah, that REALLY bothered me.  When the wave hit it I was like, "Alright!  It's gonna get crushed!"  (not to say I don't like the statue)  Then I was like, "Oh, wait!  The cover shows it still standing!  WTF?"  Yeah, they didn't make some things too realistic.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The Statue of Liberty survived mans down fall and the rise of the apes, do you really think a little water can hurt her?

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It comes out a week from Tuesday.  Great film, can't wait.

Nice bike, BTW.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#20]
The people that made it pretty much admitted that they didn't do any research about any of the environmental crap they spew in the movie.  They just compeltely made stuff up, with nothing whatsoever to do with any known science, predictions, etc.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My wife had to see it when it came out and even she couldn't get past the blatant eviro crap. Notice that only the countries harming the enviroment are destroyed! The righteous turd world countries are spared! Planerench out.

Even though many of those third world countries are the largest polluters of the environment and destroyers of the rain forests.

My wife and I just watched it tonight, but the enviro crap turned me off too.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I actually thought it was much better than most disaster movies, just in the fact that it really could happen (although it would be over th span of 6-7 months instead of a week), and that it wasn't all stereotypes, i.e. the rich guy wasn't an asshole and there was no screaming woman going "we're all going to die!!!"

Anyway, I liked it a lot.

Actually, the quickest time the earth had ever entered an Ice Age was back at a time they called the Younger Dryas, and that took on the order of decades.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Did anyone else have a problem with it playing in thier computer DVD drive?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Just saw "The Wednesday after New Years"... great movie!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Damn good book, that.  Read it a LOOONG time ago.  Like the scene where the guy surfs the tidal wave over the Cali coast.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The people that made it pretty much admitted that they didn't do any research about any of the environmental crap they spew in the movie.  They just compeltely made stuff up, with nothing whatsoever to do with any known science, predictions, etc.

Wasn't the book is was based on co-written by Art Bell??
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I just watched the movie while at the same time freezing rain and a freak thunderstorm hit the area.  I half expected to look outside and see 3 feet of snow!

Besides the environmentalist crap I had a major problem with the super cooled air freezing everything solid in seconds.  They said the gas froze and that was -150.  Ok, lets do the opposite.  Heat your oven up to 500 degrees and stick your hand in it.  Sure it will feel warm but your hand won't instantly become 500 degrees and melt the flesh off your bones.

As I told the girlfriend after it was over...what a bunch of crap.  The movie up to the water hitting New York was good though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#29]
actually at -150 your lungs wil freeze in seconds that is not crap
water would lso freeze before it hit the ground at that temp
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Stupid liberal tree-hugg'in, knee-jerk scare tactic, bash bush/chenny propaganda movie.  

Did I leave anything out?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#31]
That movie was some liberal's wet dream.

What total crap. Technically, it was pathetic and didn't deal with any reality. A climatologist is the hero??? LMAO, at least if the flick didn't make me want to vomit. It both sucked and pissed me off at the same time. Maybe they spent all their money on special effects and none on actors, direction, writers or technical consultants.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Stupid liberal tree-hugg'in, knee-jerk scare tactic, bash bush/chenny propaganda movie.  

amen,

obvious leftist propaganda horseshit
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Entertaining movie, but I though it was a cookie cutter disaster flick.. nothing special.

You're expecting imagination and innovation from Hollywood?

Don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

amen,

Halloween for tree huggers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I believe you pretty much covered it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#36]
We still haven't had the quinticential SHTF movie. I wish they would make a movie version of Lucifer's Hammer and not f- it up.

Loved that book!  still have my copy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#37]

The Statue of Liberty survived mans down fall and the rise of the apes, do you really think a little water can hurt her?

HAHAHAHA!!! man, that made me laugh....DAMN DIRTY APES!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#38]
What about the old (1950’s) movie, When Worlds Collide?

That was, quite literally, the End of the World.
Check it out the next time it comes on the Tube or rent it.  Decent special effects for the time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Has anyone ever read the Deathlands series byJames Axler?  If some one made a movie(other than that weak Sci-fi channel attempt.)it would be a great movie.and piss off libs. at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have been in -50 below F weather --- no crap you don't want to jog in that weather... let a alone -150 -- which I think would be impossible.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I boycotted that film.  Too many movie makers think they can get away with poor writing and bad science as long as they have real cool CG effects.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Although movie makers are dumbasses, they aren't THIS stupid.

Roland Emmerich confided that the Statue of Liberty would be turned over by the force of the massive amount of water flowing around it but said he wanted to create a symbol of American values that stood up to the forces.

IMDB
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
let a alone -150 -- which I think would be impossible.

During "winter" in Antarctica, temperatures of -120 are considered the norm.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#44]
As an aside, what was that English movie about the zombie virus a year ago?  28 Days?  That was a good SHTF movie.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Rented it...I want my $4 back.

I thought it was the worst natural disaster movie I've ever seen.

I still don't undersand why everyone thinks the CGI is good. To me it looks fake...like it's CGI and not the real thing. LOTR ---> Gollem was the most realistic CGI of any movie I've seen IMO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
As an aside, what was that English movie about the zombie virus a year ago?  28 Days?  That was a good SHTF movie.

The only guns in the movie were in the last 25 minutes...

Fuck England. If they succumb to a zombie incursion, it's their own damn fault.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Anybody else think that the acting SUCKED!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

amen,

Halloween for tree huggers.

+1 to all.

I pirated it off the internet, so I didn't pay to watch it.  Oh shit...here comes the FBI.

Anyhow, they lost me somewhere around the part where twisters formed on the SIDE of a hill and wiped out the hollywood sign.  I had managed to keep my head above all the previous crap, but after that I was done for.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When they rebuilt it after the last tidal wave knocked it over (from that asteroid impact) they filled her up with concrete!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

They have found mastodons that froze in a very short period of time.  I wonder how that happenned.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top