Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 2:47:08 PM EDT
Mine has to be from college.  A buddy, his girlfriend and I drove my '87 Ramcharger up to his grandparents' cabin in North Carolina.  It was a dry county so we brought tons of homebrew, and we eventually ran out of that and had to go to the next county for booze.
We spent the whole week hiking durring the days and visiting dams in the area, and hanging around at night drinking and playing cards & such.

Second place was my visit to Chicago last year.  Completely different kind of vacation.  Days spent visiting museums & such, and nights out on the town drinking & meeting tons of hot chicks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Cabo, that place is fun!!!!

corona story, I bought a bucket full of coronas way down the beach by the time I got up to my friends i had like 2 left.

Met alot of nice people on that walk though
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Maui, the week of Thanksgiving 1996.  This is the start of wave season, but can be sketchy on wind.  We lucked out, and got head high surf with 25+ knots of wind every day.  Paradise on Earth I tell you.  The bad part was the peperoni lovers pizza for Thanksgiving.  Why?  $30!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The west

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
SHARK DIVE IN THE BAHAMA'S.   actually got to grab a 6 foot bull shark by the tail as he swam by,
12 miles off shore, 90 feet down, off the "tounge of the ocean", 10 divers and a bucket of barracuda, no shark cage.

also did a night dive with just 2 of us, never knew octopus changed colors like  a chamelon.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Borneo

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Texas and Oklahoma road trip with my brother.  He was 13 and I was 10.  We waterski'd with the Okies and drove my uncles chevy on the oil leases.  Then in Texas we got a jeep and a Cushman scooter to drive, and plenty of spending money from our Aunt.  Fished and got sick on the Gulf on my uncles Chris Craft.  Stole watermelon and sold them out of the back of a pickup and went skinny-dipping.  Nearly missed our plane at a stop-over in El Paso on the way home.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Key West, with a young lady. Place is so laid back you can do just about anything and nobody cares.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Costa Rica, this year - amazing!

www.rainforesttours.com/photoalbum/field/field.htm

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Sigh, never had a good one, and haven't had even a bad one in over 10 years.  How do you guys afford to take time off of work like that?z
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Philmont with my son and his scout group.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#12]
My girlfriend and I drove all night down to Tampa Bay.  Her grandparents are snowbirds so they had a really nice condo for us to stay in for free.  They also treated us out EVERY DAY for meals and some of the most upscale resturants I have ever been in.  They also bought is passes to Busch Gardens, Sea World, Gator Land, Universal, as well as other little places.  After that we went to the Daytona 500.  It was a great escape from the cold winter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sigh, never had a good one, and haven't had even a bad one in over 10 years.  How do you guys afford to take time off of work like that?z

Everyone can afford to.  I don't care how important you think you are.  If you don't, you'll turn into taxboy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Everyone can afford to.

Other than the owner of the company I work for, I don't know anyone that's taken a vacation in the past few years.  When you figure-in the cost of missing work plus the cost of eating-out plus the cost of a motel, you're well into the territory where it's something that's out of reach for most people.

If you don't, you'll turn into taxboy.

What does that mean?z
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Fiji - on a small island off the main island.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Everyone can afford to.

Other than the owner of the company I work for, I don't know anyone that's taken a vacation in the past few years.  When you figure-in the cost of missing work plus the cost of eating-out plus the cost of a motel, you're well into the territory where it's something that's out of reach for most people.

Horseshit.  My wife and I have ALWAYS been able to get away, at least for a weekend, even when we were first married and barely scraping by.  You just have to search for a cheaper motel and bring most of your own food.  It's not out of reach at all, and if you think it is you're simply not being imaginative.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]
The best was a couple years ago going to Destin, and even that was pretty crappy. Somehow, with an income of about $150,000 a year before taxes, we still manage to be poor, so we haven't been able to go anywhere fun. Well, that and the rest of my family is too lazy.

Actually, I found out we could go to Cabo for about the same as it would cost to go to Destin. No. San Juan? No. London? No. Oaxaca? No. San Diego? No. Anywhere besides Destin or Baton Rouge? Only if it was on the way to Destin or Baton Rouge.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone can afford to.

Horseshit.  My wife and I have ALWAYS been able to get away, at least for a weekend, even when we were first married and barely scraping by.  You just have to search for a cheaper motel and bring most of your own food.  It's not out of reach at all, and if you think it is you're simply not being imaginative.

Yep, it's called making excuses.  zoom you're convinced you can't, and nobody telling you differnt is going to get your head out of your ass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Australia...August of 2000...2 weeks...Sydney, Ayers Rock, Alice Springs...my wife and I climbed the Sydney Harbor Bridge...we had a blast!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Ten days in Maui with ten friends in a rented house.  Several SCUBA charters, gourmet cooking by a few of the folks with us, alternated with great restaurants, evening hot-tubbing on our porch overlooking a cove.  It was great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#21]
The 2 years I was separated from my wife.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#22]
A taxpayer funded trip to Beirut Lebanon, as a Multi-national Observer
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
It's hard to say what my best vacation was.
One of the best was when I drove cross-country from Florida to Long Beach, California with a buddy from college.  I was having my car sent from the port there to Hawaii, where I was being stationed for the Army and I thought it would cool to drive since I had never been out west.  We took our time and did the tourist thing and had a really good time.
But then I would also have to include our honeymoon, a week in Key Largo.  That was a lot of fun in different ways.  
Also my first trip out to the Grand Canyon was very cool.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Yep, it's called making excuses.

The topic was about "vacations."  Most people take that to mean more than one night away.

Again, I'll ask who can afford not only a week without pay, but a week where you'll spend a lot of money just on somewhere to sleep?  Seven nights at even a cheap place now costs a minimum of $50 a night which is about $350 a week.  Add-in food, gas, and wear-and-tear on the car, and you're into the realm where only the top few percent now can afford such luxuries.  Judging by the gun collections I've seen pictured here, there's some very wealthy people that post here.  They aren't the average at all.

you'll turn into taxboy.

What does that mean?z
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Alaska last summer.  beautiful
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Rome

(actually it was a TDY for 6 weeks, but with the free time I had, sure made it feel like a vacation)
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The topic was about "vacations."  Most people take that to mean more than one night away.

Again, I'll ask who can afford not only a week without pay, but a week where you'll spend a lot of money just on somewhere to sleep?  Seven nights at even a cheap place now costs a minimum of $50 a night which is about $350 a week.  Add-in food, gas, and wear-and-tear on the car, and you're into the realm where only the top few percent now can afford such luxuries.  Judging by the gun collections I've seen pictured here, there's some very wealthy people that post here.  They aren't the average at all.

you'll turn into taxboy.

What does that mean?z

The only one who can change your situation is you.  

Get a job that gives you a paid vacation.  If you can't afford a motel, try camping.  When I was in high school, my friends and I would camp and fish for free.  It only took a little money for gas to get somewhere.  We lived on beer and baloney sandwiches.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Again, I'll ask who can afford not only a week without pay, but a week where you'll spend a lot of money just on somewhere to sleep?  Seven nights at even a cheap place now costs a minimum of $50 a night which is about $350 a week.  Add-in food, gas, and wear-and-tear on the car, and you're into the realm where only the top few percent now can afford such luxuries.

Sorry, but you're simply wrong on all counts.  There are MANY hotels that are under $50 a night and failing that, well, on many of our longer vacations we camp out (at least once we get out west).  You can, as I said before, bring food and drinks with you and replenish them for cheap at local Wal-Marts or other grocery stores.  And wear and tear on the car?  Come the fuck on...now you are REALLY making excuses.  No, it's not just the top few percent...you're simply wrong.  My parents went on vacations every year till my dad died and they lived on a fixed income.  You're making excuses and not using your imagination.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#30]
zoom, you say you're not making excuses, but then go right on making excuses.  I'm gonna try and help you out though.  A few questions, feel free to answer or not.
1) How old are you?
2) Married?  Kids?
3) How many guns do you own and what kind?
4) Do you own your own home?
5) Do you own your car outright?
6) Do you get paid by the hour or on salary?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

you'll turn into taxboy.

What does that mean?z

you work at McDonalds or Burger king??
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#32]
> 1) How old are you?

> 2) Married? Kids?

Married, with no kids that survived

> 3) How many guns do you own and what kind?

2, a home-built FAL that a friend bought parts for and gave it to me when he had problems with the Hesse receiver and an Oly (really cheap from a parts kit) AR.  I had a Marlin Model 60 for a while, but gave it to a relative who lives by herself.

> 4) Do you own your own home?

Yes

> 5) Do you own your car outright?

I own a 24 year-old van that needs a new clutch and some other work, so it's been sitting for about three years since it would cost more than it's worth to fix.

> 6) Do you get paid by the hour or on salary?

Per hour.  I work 7 days a week 14-20 hours per day, and I still don't make enough to pay for my wife's nursing home, but I wasn't posting about me.  I'm past the age where packing and driving a long way are fun.  I don't think any of the 24 guys that work for me took a vacation in the past year.  I just looked at the accounting system, and not a one took more than three days off in a row last year other than for medical problems.  We have a week paid vacation after five years, and everyone took money for three or more days in lieu of time off.  I was really thinking about people like them.  When you make $320/week (40 hours a week at $8/hour), just the motel costs over a week's pay plus the week's pay you miss.  That's two weeks worth of income before you even start talking about other money you'll spend like for gas or food.  How many people can afford to blow three or so weeks of pay?z
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Saint Thomas, Virgin Islands.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Disney World.  Surprised the kids, took them out of school and spent a week there.  It was 3 years ago and they still talk about it.  They'll remember it forever.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#35]
zoom
Camping.  My family camped like crazy when I was a kid.  Yes, you're going to have to buy a tent, but surely you have some friends that could oan you one.

If you are so important at work that you can't even take a 3 day weekend to go camping with some frineds then you need a new job.  Either that or you need to accept the fact that it's your life and you're not going to change it.

What "you're going to become taxboy" means is that there is a kid that posts here under the screen name "taxman" that is the resident sad-sack that needs to just climb in the tub with the toaster already and get it over with.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Italy for 13 days. Great place to vacation
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#37]
zoom,

Some of these young guys don't understand that life throws curves even to people who plan.  Also, sometimes you do the difficult and often grinding tasks because you committed to always being there.  

The best trip I remember was when Carol and I took the 3 kids to Fort Worth for a long weekend.  Had a great time.  If I had known what was to come, I would have jumped off an overpass when I got home.  Within just a few short years, the oldest was dead, the middle one assaulted, and the wife destroyed.  No vacations for me.  I live in an itty, bitty apartment by myself, weighed down by bills just for living and helping the last son in college.  Why?  Because I said I would be there for him.  It was a promise his mother failed to keep to her family.  My health is not good--high blood pressure, high cholesteral, chronic depression (under control with medication), and I desperately need to have a colonoscopy (Mom died of colon cancer at 53 and my sister and two brothers, all older, have had polyps removed).

Y'all need to back off of zoom.  Y'all don't know how some people deal with the cards that are dealt them until you are saddled with crushing losses.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Three weeks in the UK in 1998.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:21:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Disneyworld.  Not sure which trip was best, probably the one when we spent a day at a nice waterpark.

And +1 to camping suggestion.  When I was a kid we travelled the country in an old Pontiac Catalina and camped every night.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Spent a week in Canada fishing with my father a few years ago. It was great, I haven't spent a lot of time with him in years. A few more years my sons will be older and we'll all go.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#42]
when I went to Cancun, Mexico with my sister
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Three months sailing the Bahamas in my very own sailboat. Kept away from the main islands. Actually lost track of what day it was and didn't care the least about it. Sitting in my chair watching the tide come in and then go out. Looking behind the boat at night and watching the wake glow from where the phosphor??? (sp?) plankton was disturbed. Watching the Andros and Berry Islands regatta at Morgans Bluff, having lunch and dinner at Willieswater lounge. Riding the jitney in Nassau, the International market at Lucaya, Amazed at the destruction at Foxtown and Marsh Harbor. Looking over the side of the boat and watching the sharks swim past even though the dolphins riding the bow were more exciting.
I could go on forever but I digress....
Ahhh..  even the memories still bring on that same inner peace that I felt lying there on those beaches....

And now I am stuck in this god forsaken mudhole of missouri... Damn, I gotta get out of here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Mine was a 7000+ mile excursion from Miami, Fl to several points of interest out West in 2002  The wife and I with our three kids (all teenagers at the time) all consider that trip to be the absolute BEST vacation we ever took.

Rough Itinerary:

FL - GA - TN -KY - IN - Il - MO (great ribs!!) - IA - SD (Badlands, Custer State Park, buffalo!,Mt. Rushmore, prairie dogs) - WY (Devil's Tower, Jackson Hole, more prairie dogs!) - UT (Salt Lake City, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Wasatch State Park, Great Salt Lake - AZ (Grand Canyon, Metor Crater) - NV (Las Vegas) - NM (Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell) - TX (Palo Duro State Park, The ALamo) LA - MS - AL -FL - Home Sweet Home!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Japan the summer after I graduated high school.  Amazing experience, amazing country, I need to go back.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Cabo, that place is fun!!!!...

+1 or whatever

I went there in 1986 with three close friends to see Halley's Comet.  We spend a whole week there.  Very relaxing, excellent food, lots of adventures and fun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cabo, that place is fun!!!!...

+1 or whatever

I went there in 1986 with three close friends to see Halley's Comet.  We spend a whole week there.  Very relaxing, excellent food, lots of adventures and fun.

Yup...I was down there in 1991 for that solar eclipse...way
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top