Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 12:21:46 PM EDT
for those that write their own music, do you just tab it out in a notebook, record it, or just try and memorize it.  

i've been writing tabs in notebooks for years and someday i'll buy a 4track (guitar vs. gun money vs. reality/bills).  occasionally i go back and find stuff i forgot i wrote..or find stuff and go 'wtf is that?

i'm not looking for tips or anything, just curious as to what other players do.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Record it on my PC quickly before it vanishes from my head. If not that, tab it quickly. I have about a gig of clips on my HD waiting to be made into tunes.

Notation, rarely. That's a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Always kept in the brain's memory. Band practice reinforces the memory. THe whole band did it this way. Why? I don't know, we just did.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Record, record, record.

TAB is good, but in TAB you can't tell a quarter note from a whole note. You'll lose the rhythm.

Even a cheap tape recorder. It will help you remember the pattern to that cool riff you just thought up.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Record it on my PC quickly before it vanishes from my head. If not that, tab it quickly. I have about a gig of clips on my HD waiting to be made into tunes.

how much do these programs run?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how much do these programs run?

Any PC/Mac can record sound from a microphone or an auxilliary input. You don't need any special software. But if you want to do multitrack recording or MIDI sequencing, you can spend anywhere from $50 to $2k.

It all depends on what you need from it. I use Sonar 3.0, which is a few hundred bucks, give or take.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Tascam 4 track recorder.
You can find them cheap on E-Bay, 50 -80 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Record it AND transcribe it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
It depends . Sometimes I use my Fostex 8 track , but it has been on loan to a friend for the last year or so while he composes his opus . He throws a few boxes of ammo my way every few months for rent so I won't complain . Usually I just dump it into Cool Edit Pro 2.0
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top