Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 10:39:33 AM EDT
at the Free Man's castle last night.

Glass fell in on the foot of my daughter's bed.  She had been asleep about half an hour.  I was still up late, as usual.

I let the dog out the back and he ran the fence line, behind the shop, the trees, etc and reported all OK (silently, no barking at all, GOOD dog!).

My son and I went out the front with our AR's (Man, I like my Eotechs more every day).

Daughter's room is in the front, on a corner.  The broken window was just around the side, in the shadow from the street light.  (Damn, I KNOW I need to get a security light up there!  It'll get done tomorrow)

The screen was set aside, and the glass broken just below the latch.

Called the Sheriff's Dept, and a deputy I know was here about 5 min later.  We made a report, and I then cut some ply to cover the window.

Found a hardware store while ago to cut some glass, the window's fixed.

So, my daughter (14) says, "I'm mad now... next time that happens I'm gonna shoot someone's gonads off."  

I answered, "How, you don't know how to shoot, won't let me teach you."

She replied, "I just changed my mind, take me to the range.  I want to learn how to shoot all your guns."

One young brainwashed mind full of mush just converted to the true path toward enlightenment.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
As they say, a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged (or in this case, been close to a break-in).
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The "it will never happen to me... I don't need a gun" attitude can be changed in about 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Pane of glass =$2
Case of beer for buddy to break previous pane of glass =$15
Pacifist daughter turned into responsible young adult=priceless
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I never thought of doing that... hah!  My wife was converted in similar fashion many, many years ago.  Did not wait for me to get home (I was out of town), she had already bought a revolver (.38 spcl, 4" barrel, asked the sales person to recommend a handgun to a total newbie for self protection) and ammo (HP +P's , told the salesperson, give me the most badass ammo I can put in this gun).  She had this stuff sitting on the kitchen table, waiting for me when I got home two days later.

The younger daughter has been a little difficult.... you know the type, high maint, world revolves around her.  Ever see Nickolodean, Clarissa Explains It All?... well, the Clarissa character... that's my younger daughter exactly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Another convert to the cause!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#6]
mmm, Clarissa now that the actress is legal:
although when that show was on originally I was thinking the same thing, but I was under 18 so it was ok

Quoted:
Ever see Nickolodean, Clarissa Explains It All?... well, the Clarissa character... that's my younger daughter exactly.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Hard to believe anyone could be STUPID enough to break in to an occupied house in the middle of the night.

WTF!!??

Especially an ARFCOM'ers

whoever it was, is one lucky MF'er
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Hah, yeah, an ARFcommer, and armed son (17), and dog.

BTW, the Eotechs worked very well in the various light conditions encountered.

Also, the intimidating black profile, from past experience, works quite nicely.  Last time I had to whip it out, it functioned perfectly, without having to fire a shot... the BG ran away in a spritely manner.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hard to believe anyone could be STUPID enough to break in to an occupied house in the middle of the night.

WTF!!??

Especially an ARFCOM'ers

Most criminals are pretty stupid, some are terminally stupid.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

WTF!!??

Especially an ARFCOM'ers

Think about the motives for a minute. The guy who wants to steal your TV to buy his next hit of crack or whatever probably doesn't want that kind of trouble. So, if someone's trying to break in while you're there, then either they're so high that they have no idea what's going on, and are therefore capable of almost anything, or they've set out not to steal, but to rape and murder.

I don't know the exact statistic, but I recall that in the US, "hot" burglaries (while the home is occupied) are almost unheard of, while they're common in nations like England where not just guns but self-defense is illegal.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Pane of glass =$2

have to keep that one in mind.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Think about the motives for a minute. The guy who wants to steal your TV to buy his next hit of crack or whatever probably doesn't want that kind of trouble. So, if someone's trying to break in while you're there, then either they're so high that they have no idea what's going on, and are therefore capable of almost anything, or they've set out not to steal, but to rape and murder.

Yep.  Remember Elizabeth Smart.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Burglars dont break into a bedroom.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't know the exact statistic, but I recall that in the US, "hot" burglaries (while the home is occupied) are almost unheard of, while they're common in nations like England where not just guns but self-defense is illegal.

Last I heard, these are on the rise here as well. Apparently it's become some sort of game.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]

In different parts of our country the rates of burglary when people are home vary quite a bit from what I understand.

Where I live, you rarely hear about ANYONE breaking into a home when someone is there because almost everyone owns guns in my area a guy would have to be suicidal to break into an occupied home.

Where do you live? It just says USA on your profile.  What state?

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad everything is ok. Also glad she is coming around.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I live in a state with high rates of gun ownership, and few if any onerous gun laws.

If you shoot a burgler here, cops will likely comment, "Nice group, what kinda ammo did you use?"

Had to be a real dumbass.

BTW, that is the only window not lit by either a street light or security light.  That corner is in deep shadow at night.  That is being fixed as we speak.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#19]
glad you are all ok!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Pics??  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm glad you and your family are OK. This incident; although unpleasant, may have been the

best thing that could of happened. The lesson your daughter learned may save her life one day.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#22]
pics?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Glad to hear it worked out.

Be on the look out for a 2nd attempt.

You may even want to have the son & daughter switch rooms for a couple nights
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#24]
She is sleeping in another room now, and NOT near any windows.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I am in the home security business. IMHO, the best deterrent to window break ins is alarm screens.

The screen is broken before the window can be touched.  Works even if window is open.

Your other measures are excellent, lights, dogs, and guns. Use them all as needed.

Be extra vigilant the next week or so, these folks tend to return if not winged or caught the first time.

Glad to hear you and yours are safe.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I am in the home security business. IMHO, the best deterrent to window break ins is alarm screens.

The screen is broken before the window can be touched.  Works even if window is open.

Your other measures are excellent, lights, dogs, and guns. Use them all as needed.

Be extra vigilant the next week or so, these folks tend to return if not winged or caught the first time.

Glad to hear you and yours are safe.

would you mind posting a link to some good alarm screens?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Pane of glass =$2

NICE!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#28]
The screens are custom made to fit any size window.  Usually, your existing screen frame and hardware can be used saving you some money. The cost is roughly 30 dollars more per window than a magnetic switch on an original install.  There are shops accross the country that can do this, your alarm dealer can hook you up.  If you are in Ga., I can hook you up.

Without going into detail, they can not be removed from the opening, or cut without setting the alarm off.

They can also be set to "always armed" so even when the system is unarmed, the screens are hot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top