Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 10:21:18 AM EDT
So, what the hell sort of degree do you have to have to understand this shit?

See, that's the problem with all this quantum stringed positronular nucleon crap. It sounds really interesting, but I doubt that there's a person in the world who truly understands a word of it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
i Have some understanding of it. Just read a book or two by Stephen Hawking or William J. Kaufmann
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#2]
See, if you picture your lifetime as a string, then you ball the string up. you can leap from...

Oh, nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So, what the hell sort of degree do you have to have to understand this shit?

See, that's the problem with all this quantum stringed positronular nucleon crap. It sounds really interesting, but I doubt that there's a person in the world who truly understands a word of it.

That article seemed pretty straightforward to me...try reading some stuff on the Higgs boson or finding the Top quark...now THAT's some heavy stuff!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You are reading this because of quantum mechanics...'nuff said...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it's straightforward to you, but I just can't see how in the hell an infinite sea of particles charged with negative-energy can be a model for a vacuum.

What the hell IS negative energy?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Maybe it's straightforward to you, but I just can't see how in the hell an infinite sea of particles charged with negative-energy can be a model for a vacuum.

What the hell IS negative energy?

I think the simplest explanation is that negative energy is to physics what imaginary numbers are to mathematics.  Quantum mechanics is all mathematics, anyway...some of the equations are simple, and some can make your head hurt.

Remember, everything is just a quantum foam at very small scales...and 99.999% of all matter is empty space...kinda fucked up, eh???
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW, did anyone catch the joke about "heavy stuff"???
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BTW, did anyone catch the joke about "heavy stuff"???

Well, now that you point it out, I get it about the Higgs boson... that's the particle that adds mass to another particle, right? But I don't get the top quark thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top