Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 7:08:32 AM EDT
Anybody do this. You can find all kinds of cool stuff. We went to the landfill and went to metal pile. We found a table saw, gold watch, hydralic piston, Honda 5HP engin, nad the all important check valve for the brand new SS dish washer we found last time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#1]
find any wasr's?

cetmes's?

im sure there would be alot of sw-5's out there in the landfill...

but untill i actually hear of somebody finding one in a dumpster, im not going.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you find any of my socks?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you run into Mark or Lori Hacking while you were there?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I found a toothbrush once.  It was bearly used.

I have picked up stuff from the curb tho.  Found a 'tiller and a snow blower that needed a new spark plug and they now run great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Only during extended periods of unemployment.

About 10 years ago when it was still legal to dump computers in the trash you could score pretty well in the trash behind places like NCR's plant.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Uh, nope.

Too much shit in the trash - I don't really feel like getting stuck with a needle infected with AIDs for one thing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Yea I know some folks who do that, land fills and garbage dumps here are off limits, so you can only rubbage through real nasty trash.  Some things taken from the trash I've seen, sega genisis, sega cd, super nintendo, misc. controllers, video games, fabric, krylon, a shitload of licorice (still in their packaging with the seal unbroken)...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]
One time I spent a week looking in a land fill for a  baby that had been murdered and thrown out in the trash.

Never and I mean never again
the smell
the shit you come accross

bloody rags
dead animals
needles
rotting whatever

Never again,  ----------------------------no never did find the child.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#10]
One of my favorite hobbies!  Roadside trash pick-up in affluent neighborhoods is best.  Lawnmowers that just need a spark plug, books, etc..  I've had others score off of me also.  Put out my old Corvette tires for recycling and someone beat the pick-up.  Good for them!  A lot of places have anti-scavenging ordinances, but I won't let that stop me if I make a good find.  WTF, it's recycling at its best.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I found a BUM in the dumpster behind where I worked

He was fishing out pizza from the day before.

Lot's of birds shit all over that area.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was working construction on new homes I would often check the cages at the end of the driveways for things. Actually could find alot of tools that just needed a little work, building materials that were in excellent shape, carpeting brand new, just  brought to much for the house.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in the day, we would find all kinds of cool stuff in the dumpsters behind the phone company and Radio Shack...no food or stinky garbage, just papers and electronics...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#14]
My Grampa does it he finds all kinds of stuff, more on that when I come back...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Ive pulled a lot of old computer equipment out of the trash. Sometimes i come across some really good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#16]
... that's just fucking nasty
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not gonna dig through bloody kotex, filled up colostomy bags and diapers with bloody diarrhea for a beat up mower
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#18]
nasty
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#20]
A buddy of mine was a garbage man for a number of years. It always amazed me what people would throw away.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#21]
[Homer]Remember, the best stuff is usually DEEEEP in the garbage juice.  Ooh look, a pacifier for Maggie![/Homer]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#22]
My dad used to maintain the heavy equipment at the local county dump. About twice a month a Sears truck would come in and they would start throwing stuff out the back. Weed Eaters, yard blowers, drills, table saws, various power tools, and lawn even gas powered lawn mowers.... all brand new with just the electrical cords cut. Most of them even had tags on them telling why they were returned, and what was supposedly wrong with them!

My dad scored tons of stuff, and after rewiring the electrical cords - everything he took home worked just fine! His best score was a new table saw that was about $450.00 new!!!!

Every good thing seems to be ruined by greedy SOB's though.

The word spread, and County employees from other departments started magically showing up (some actually following the Sears truck). Hell, people started taking sick days just to show up!

They started grabbing and fighting for everything they threw out of the truck. They looked like a bunch of refugees grabbing food and water from a U.N. distribution truck.

Disgusting greedy retired old SOB's in brand new shinny trucks, and county employee’s that are supposedly “sick” fighting over used tools - sweating and trying to "claim items" by yelling "MINE" before they even hit the ground.

It got so bad that they had to divert the truck directly into the "compactor" building so people could not fight over the stuff.

Sad.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I work in a landfill from time to time and you can find some good stuff if your looking.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I used to dumpster dive for a different reason, conflict of interest and fraud investigations.

You would be surprised what some people fail to destroy and can be used as evidence against them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Try it at a military facility!!

In the late 1960's, our CI guys did that as part of their jobs.  They pretty much assembled an M-60 with parts that they found (though I don’t know how well it worked).
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Every morning my grampa gets up and goes to all the dumpsters in town. Keep in mind that they seperate the food items and other stuff. He's gotten TVs. computers. all kinds off stuff. Used to get all the stuff they couldn't sell at radio shack. Then they started paying some guy to beat at the good stuff with a hammer. When my dad goes to the landfills he all ways brings one piece of metal. That way he can get acces to the metal piles.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top